Serious Sam [secrets]
Serious Sam Secrets
Created: April 4, 2001
Last Updated: April 9, 2001
Author: Derek Plote
Demos: Andy Schott
This is simply a list of the secrets for Serious Sam. I'm not going to waste
each enemy, weapon, model, and keystroke to you in agonizing detail, as there
already plenty of walkthroughs out there to do that. All you'll find here is a
list of the
secrets and how to get them. I assume that anyone reading this has already gone
the game and tried to find the secrets on their own, and thus will be familiar
with most of
the areas I describe. If you see anything that needs to be corrected or
clarified, feel free to
email us and we'll update accordingly.
Feel free to put this on your website, print it out and use it for toilet
paper, feed it to your
pet lizard, or do just about anything else you want with it. All we ask is that
charge money for it, don't alter our work, and that you don't replace our
names with yours. Thanks!
Demos have been created showing how to get each of the secrets in every level.
available for download at http://andy9701.9ug.com. Installation instructions
for the demo files are available at the web site.
I use front, back, left, and right a lot in my descriptions "Front" generally
refers to the
direction you're facing when you start the level or enter a particular area.
naturally, is the other direction. "Left" and "right" follow accordingly. Last
but not least, I generally use "area" or "room" to refer to the territory from
one door to another door. "Level" refers to the entire level.
Hatshepsut Temple (7 secrets)
1) From the starting position of the game, head towards the pillars off to your
pick up the second .45.
2) From the starting position, head up the ramp and then turn left at the top
of the ramp.
The goal is to try to jump onto the roof of the building off to the left of the
ramp. You can
do this by running along the ledge and then jumping onto the roof. There you'll
secret rocket ammo.
3) Same as #2, but on the right hand side instead of the left. You'll find a
4) From the start position, head up the ramp and then go to the righthand
outdoor half of
this upper temple area. In the back, you'll see a patch of wall that is quite
different from the rest of the wall by it. Touch it and it will lower,
revealing the double
5) From the start position, turn around and head down the ramp. At the bottom
ramp turn right and go open the door. You'll get a message about the fans being
and see a bunch of guys with big heads.
6) Same as #5, but on the other side of the ramp. You'll have to use the rocket
blow the door up. Inside is the Croteam programmers.
7) If you turn around and look out at the desert from the door to secret #6,
running towards the back left corner of the desert, you'll eventually see a
tree back there
in the desert. Run out to that tree, and there is a secret heart powerup there.
Sand Canyon (6 secrets)
1) This one is a little tricky. When you first get outside on this level, keep
forward until you hit the mountain face. You want to go to the left side of
this (by the
building you'll be entering) and the trick is to kind of run at an angle up the
side of the
mountain and jump. Look for a tree at the top of the rocky area... this is more
or less what
you're aiming for. You'll see a tiny little path by that tree, which is what
you're trying to
hit. It usually takes me a few jumps to pull it off, but once you manage to do
sliding back down the cliff it'll tell you that you found the secret path and
you can go
down and it pick up some gear.
2) This is pretty close to #1. You can jump between the same cliff face and the
that leads deeper into the level and you'll that you can push on the wall of
there to reveal a secret room. It's pretty hard to miss if you go between the
3) To the right of the entrance of the room with all the marsh-hoppers (which
on I'm going to call "frogs") there is a wall you can push that will reveal a
with a tommygun and some ammo.
4) In the next room (after the frog room), just to the left of the entrance
there is a hidden
bounce pad that allows you to bounce up to some armor high above the other side
5) Straight ahead of this bounce pad there's a little side room with a tiny
ramp in it. In a
cubbyhole under the ramp is a secret health bottle.
6) At the very end of the level, before entering the building, you need to get
on top of it.
Just to the left of the building entrance you can run up the side of the
mountain and jump.
If you do it correctly (it may take a few tries) you can get on top of the
building. There is
some shotgun ammo and +1 health up there
Tomb of Ramses (8 secrets)
1) After killing the kamikazi on the ramp, you'll come to a room where you can
right, or up some stairs ahead of you. Go right, and take the stairs up in the
corner of the room. EVentually, you will come to the ege of the platform.
the gap to find a secret place.
2) Right before the room where the wall comes down on your left and monsters
you as you're going up some stairs, you want to head to the right of that
jump up on the square fire holder thingamabob. From the top of that you can
onto a ledge. If you go to the left from there, it'll take a little shortcut
through part of the
level and tell you "secret passage found".
3) Get to the same ledge as in #2. If you head right along the ledge and follow
it for a
while, you'll find a secret heart powerup.
4) After killing the first Arachnoid Juvenile, you'll see stairs to the left
and right in front
of you. Take the left stairs (kill the next Arachnoid Juvenile to the front
and right), then
take the stairs to the left. You can see the rocket launcher from here. If you
carefully, you'll see a little glowing area a little bit below the platform
between the wall
and the platform. Jump off the platform into it and it'll teleport you up to
5) Actually picking up the rocket launcher counts as a secret.
6) When you enter the next room, climb the stairs all the way to the top. When
you get to
the door to the next room, head left instead of going throug the door to the
out on the walkway, there are two other walkways slightly lower than where you
- take the right one, and a heart is at the end of it.
7) Before you enter the room that has the shotgun and a truckload of enemies to
entrance to this room has 2 statues on either side of it), turn around, looking
back the way
you came. Run straight forward until you hit the wall, then turn left. You'll
see a tiny
little passage. Head into it and it'll give you the "secret passage found"
8) In the secret passage area, continue down it and pick up the secret shield.
Valley of Kings (4 secrets)
1) In the room where the frogs come out of a glowing teleporter, go through the
the front left. Kill the Kleer on the other side of the door, go up the ramp,
and turn right
onto the "stage". Look around the corner to the right, move onto the bouncer
pick up the armor.
2) Blow up every statue on the level.
3) Once the last statue is blown up, the secret pendulum will be enabled. This
will be swinging in the area at the end of the level where the rope bridge is.
Ride across it
to the other side of the river. It can be kind of tricky to jump onto, and
you'll have to
hurry after blowing up the last statue because the pendulum starts to slow down
swing as far. [Marc Oldenhof wrote to tell me that you can get the pendulum
moving again by firing a rocket at it. Thanks for the tip.]
4) Now that you're on the other side of the river, go through the cave exit.
This will take
you to Moon Mountain.
Moon Mountain (7 Secrets)
1) On the 4th grassy platform in the beginning of the level, run to the edge to
ammo box is and you'll see some +200 armor floating down below the platform in
midair. If you stand in the right spot (just walk around the edge a little),
it'll trigger the
secret catapult, which shoots the armor up onto the grassy platform for you.
2) Probably the hardest secret on this level to find (without asking someone,
From the 5th grassy platform you need to jump through the waterfall. It's a
jump. I usually try to aim for the rightmost edge of the area behind the
waterfall. If you
manage to make the jump, it'll say something about secret passage found. If you
through the level and get behind the waterfall here the normal way, the secret
3) Now that you got the second secret, run along the edge of this area by the
carefully walk between the edge and the rocks. You'll find a secret +50 health.
4) After you run past the top of the circular waterfall but before you jump
square hole into the water below, go behind that square pit and press against
the wall. It'll
drop revealing a secret cavern.
5) After dropping down the hole into the water, you'll find a secret heart
between some rocks out of the water. If you go to the doorway down here, then
away from the doorway and towards the water, you should head forward and to the
to find the heart.
6) Past the water area you'll enter the room where you can see the circular
around and shoot a rocket right the entrance to the passage you just came
say "secret backstage enabled" or something like that.
7) With secret backstage enabled, go back through the passage you just came
you'll find a secret teleporter.
Oasis (6 secrets)
1) Right in the beginning, turn around and jump through the waterfall to find a
room behind it.
2) "Sound-attack secret". I'm not entirely sure what has to occur to trigger
this one. It's
not hard to trigger, but the exact cause is hard to pinpoint. Anyway, once you
the building you'll see a big statue across the room. There will be a +10
health in front of
that, and a +1 health in each of the corners on the same wall. Pick all 3 up
and the secret
is bound to trigger. While you're at it, blow up the statue for good measure.
3) Take the passage to the left of the statue and pick up the +1 armor down
there. I think
you need to have the +1 armor and both of the +1 healths by the statue to
secret bouncer. If you picked up the health already like I told you to, picking
up the +1
armor should trigger the secret bouncer
4) After triggering the secret bouncer, it gives you a message about a secret
I'm not sure if this just happens automatically, or if it happens when you go
where the statue was. Either way, jump up on the platform where the statue was
you'll see a glowing green bouncer. Stand on it and it'll shoot you over to the
5) In the frog room, blow up one of the walls on the left to reveal the secret
6) Again, I'm not sure of the exact trigger for this one. What I do is run into
cave (which looks nothing like a cave, but hey, what can ya do?) and pick up
but NOT the ammo, and then I back out. That activates the secret trap (a bunch
enemies show up and start nailing you) and the back wall of the secret cave
everything back into the main room. I'm not sure if the secret trap will still
trigger if you
pick up the ammo.
Dunes (6 secrets)
0) This doesn't count as a secret, but I think it's cool. If you head along the
wall of the
city and follow it to the right, eventually you'll come to a little ledge along
the wall with
+1 health on it. You can rocket jump up to that ledge, and then from that ledge
rocket jump into the city itself without ever going to the trouble of fighting
all the guys
and triggering the opening of the gate.
1) Over the first hill (the point at which you can finally see the town), head
the baseline of the dunes and you'll find a +50 health box sitting by itself.
Go near it and
some secret items will show up, along with some critters.
2) Continuing to the right, way off in the distance you'll see the trees of an
out there (as fast as possible, or you'll start taking "Heat" damage). You'll
find a heart and
a +200 armor.
3) The opposite of #1. Instead of running along the baseline to the right, go
to the left.
You'll see a green health bottle out there. Go near it and, like #1, some other
monsters will spawn.
4) If you go left along the wall surrounding the city, you'll come to a tree
sitting all by
itself. Blow it up to trigger the secret and spawn some items and critters.
5) Once inside the city, head to the back right corner and rocket jump up onto
platform. Then get off it right away. A few seconds later it'll blow up and
rubble you'll find a secret heart.
6) Once inside the city, head to the back left corner (opposite of #5) and
rocket jump up
onto that platform. You'll find some ammo and get a message about the secret
Suburbs (7 secrets)
1) In the first area, go to the lefthand wall of buildings and about midway
start position and the door to the next area you'll find a hard to spot alley
with some items
2) In the first area, head to the front left corner and blow up the tree so
that you can get
between the two buildings. There are some items back there.
3) In the second area, there is a secret alley in practically the same spot
that #1 was in the
first area. It's along the row of buildings on the left, about midway across
the area. There
is some +100 armor there.
4) In the second area, go to the front right corner and pick up the items to
secret trap. A wall will rise up and some mechs will appear. Ouch.
5) In the second area, go to the far door in front of you (the one that won't
around it to the right and along the wall you'll find +1 armor that triggers
the yodel secret.
6) Just like #5, except you go around to the left instead of the right. There's
a green health
bottle there that counts as a secret.
7) When you're about to jump into the sewer, stand on the side of the pit
closest to the
closed door (the one you can't go through). Then jump in and fall along the
side of the pit
closest to where you entered the area. You'll land on a small ledge and enter a
with some health and armor. It'll give you a message about the secret hole
Sewers (5 secrets)
1) From your starting position, dive down to the bottom of the water and go
There is an underwater secret passage with a heart in it.
2) After going through the underwater passage in #1, there is a +50 secret
here. It is off to the right a little bit.
3) Once you surface after getting #2, you'll see a walkway over the water in
Above the walkway are a bunch of beams. Jump onto the beams and walk along them
pick up a +50 secret armor.
4) After pressing the underwater switch to open the door to the frog room, go
frog room and down the stairs. At the bottom of the stairs, turn left and go
down the short
passage that looks like a dead end. At the end of it is an underwater secret
leads to some powerups.
5) The wall drops when you get to the area that shows up on your NETRICSA as
Dive". Get behind the wall before it rises again and pick up the +200 armor.
Metropolis (1 secret)
1) Go to the area on the level where there is a spike pit and bulls that charge
into) the pit. There is a chaingun on the other side. Okay. Now, turn around
from that pit
(back the way you came) and run all the way back to the doors that you came
Fire rockets at the wall to the left of the door to reveal a secret ammo depo.
can do this when first entering the area. You don't have to go to the bull pit
first. That was
just the easiest way to describe it.
Alley of Sphinxes (1 secret)
1) This is a boring one. There is a small oasis in the desert off to the left.
Run down the
main path until you get to the second pair of towers, then turn left and head
out into the
desert. There is an oasis out there with some rocket ammo.
Karnak (8 secrets)
1) While the level loads, hold down the key to make you run backwards. When the
starts, you'll start moving backwards and out through the double doors before
close. You'll enter the "Generous Yard". I don't know of any way to get back
you do it right away when the level starts.
2) In the first room forward from the starting point, press the switches on the
first pillar to
the far left and the first pillar to the far right. This will lower a platform
to the left of the
door that you entered from. Ride the platform up to get to the secret area.
3) There are a few in the area with the pond that makes a cross shape with a
rising up in the center. As you first enter the area, the first secret is on
the bottom of the
pool directly in front of you. Jump in, dive down, and swim along the floor.
some cannonballs sitting on top of the area you have to press to open the
4) In the same pool area, there go to the righthand part of the "cross". Push
righthand wall to reveal a secret area that contains +200 armor and a scroll
5) After swimming through the underwater pipe from the pool area, you'll come
the temple. Turn around and go hit both switches on either side of the closed
one that you couldn't open). This will open a secret passage by the monument
the pool area. When you go back out there, go over to the base of the monument
down the watery passage. There will be a big blob at the end of it along with a
heart and a
6) Go to the room with two interior pools that have monuments rising out of
them. It is
the room right before the area where you need to have bull knock the door down
Jump in the pool on the left and swim around the middle of the left wall. Push
in the wall
to reveal a secret passage that leads to a red room with some funky gravity and
a big red
7) The last area of this map has two sphinxes on either side of the exit door.
the far left wall in the area. You'll see a slightly discolored spot in the
middle of it.
Crouch and walk through it (it doesn't move, you just walk right through it)
and pick up a
8) Same thing as #7, but on the right wall instead of the left. Crouch, go in,
and get a
secret heart. The difference is that first, this secret needs to be enabled.
I'm not entirely
sure how I went about doing that. I believe I did it by picking up all the
powerups laying on
the ground in this area as well as blowing up both sphinxes. Maybe you don't
need to blow up
the sphinxes though. If anyone can pinpoint this one, drop me a mail. In any
case, it gives
you a message about the secret health being enabled.
Luxor (8 secrets)
1) On the left side of the map (the side with the golden heart), there's a spot
arachnid sits on a moving pillar and comes shooting at you when you pick up
armor. In that area, there is a small building. Go inside it and pick up the
bottle. You need to actually pick it up, not just walk over it. The ceiling
will start to come
down, so get out quick. Once the ceiling drops, go back in and pick up the
were on the ceiling.
2) In the back right corner of the heart of gold area, up on the ledge by the
door to exit the
area, there is a bounce pad that bounces you up to a green health bottle. There
bouncer there that bounces you onto the roof above the door you entered the
3) Right after bouncing up onto that rooftop, across from an ammo box there is
a wall you
can blow up to discover a secret ammo depo. [CREDIT: Grand Master Shinobi on
forums posted about this one. Also to William Kauffman, who mailed me about it
while I was typing in my update. Thanks!]
4) On the right side of the map (the half with the feather), in the area before
the area that
contains the feather, there are 5 tower/pillar things rising out of the ground.
You can blow
two of these up. When you do, you'll get a message about secret cannon ammo
revealed and some cannonballs will appear.
5) In the feather area, in the back left corner there is a bounce pad that
leads up to a heart.
6) In the feather area, go to the door that you unlocked by picking up the
away from the door and jump up onto the roof of the adjacent building. You'll
glowing square on the roof. Shoot it to lower the platform. There is a heart
building. Shoot the platform again to make it rise.
7) Jump into the pit of spikes. You'll be teleported to a secret area with some
ammo. I'm pretty sure the teleportation only works once, so don't do it again.
8) At the very end of the level, pass through the doors but immediately turn
left and head
through the side door on the left. Don't go too far in or you'll trigger the
normal level exit.
The exit on the left will take you to the Sacred Yards.
Sacred Yards (10 secrets)
1) In the room with Binky (big pool in the room with a platform in the middle
of it, the third
"room" of the game), you can shoot the monument on the platform. The platform
will slide aside,
revealing some secret health.
Note: I don't think you can get this secret if you picked up the +1 health in
the room you start
in which sets off an explosion. My belief is that picking up the health blows
up the monument and
so you miss your chance to get the health. [Credit for this one Bernd
http://DLH.Net. Thanks Bernd!]
2) When you enter the weird anti-gravity room and you see the sphinx rising up
on the platform,
immediately start firing rockets at it. If you hit the rising platform before
it makes it up, it
will explode and you'll be able to just walk over and pick up the sphinx.
[Credit for this one
goes to Gamespy's article. And here I was hoping I'd be completely done before
they released it!]
Alternative?: When you enter the anti-gravity room, a miniature scorpion
attacks. Finish him fast
with rockets and get the health that he leaves. [Bernd emailed me about this
one as well. I
haven't been able to reproduce it yet, so he was possibly wrong, or there might
be more than 10
secrets on this level, but only 10 total can be activated depending on what
choices you make.]
3) In the room with funky gravity where you keep getting flipped upside down,
hit all the
switches along the walls. Once the platform raises, go under it and hit the
It'll raise a secret platform which will allow you to get the heart and armor
in this area.
4) In the other sphinx room (not where #1 was) there is a backpack to your left
come in the door. Go chase after it. The wall will close on you, forcing you
into an open
area with a large pyramid. Run behind the pyramid and pick up the health.
5) Same as #2, but on the other side of the pyramid (still in the back though)
there is a
heart. Both items are really obvious if you just go back there.
6) Kill all the enemies around the pyramid and then go to the front of it. A
now be open, and you can go in and press a button. The pyramid will turn into a
7) Go back out of this area now (the wall will have dropped down) and back into
sphinx room. Rotate the platform to the left but don't press the button yet.
Jump on the
button, then on the stand that the button is on. From there, jump towards the
the ledge you can see. There is a +200 armor there.
8) Same as #7, but do this on the right. There is a heart there.
9) Same as #7 and #8, but this one is straight forward. When you jump up on the
then jump foward into the area behind the wall (where you pick up the sphinx).
haven't raised the water level yet, this will count as a secret.
10) In this same room still, jump on the the square platform that is raised out
of the water
(the one on the left). I'm not sure if you just have to stand on it or shoot
it. I was
impatient, so I shot it. This raises the platform on the other side of the
water and slides it
a little ways. [Bernd tells me that you do indeed need to shoot it. Thanks!]
The Great Pyramid (0 secrets)
0) None. Go away. All done.
That concludes the lists of secrets we found. If you find anything we're
missing, please send
email to the address at the top of the files.
We'll keep an updated version of this list at www.gamefaqs.com as well as on
our web site
mentioned at the top of this file. Make sure you check those places for the
most up to date
version before mailing us with corrections. Peace out.