| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
heretic Site Admin

Joined: 27 May 2004 Posts: 2888
|
Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2026 1:15 pm Post subject: mobile version of ggmania.com |
|
|
It’s been bothering me for a long time that ggmania.com didn’t display properly on mobile—after all, code from 1998 has its flaws So I sat down last night and tweaked the code a bit, so now it looks like it should display normally on mobile. That means you can finally read news articles comfortably. That means the front page now scrolls up and down beautifully, and there’s no need to scroll sideways.
I’m still not sure about the videos—right now, when you start playing a YouTube video on a phone, it appears right at the top of the page in full screen, which might work great with Fold phones, but I don’t have one. So I’m just guessing; I’ll keep experimenting with it.
Update: Now the YouTube video plays right where I am, so I don't have to scroll anywhere once playback starts. The video is simply resized so that the entire 16:9 aspect ratio is visible. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
cealansmith Contributor

Joined: 01 Aug 2024 Posts: 3
|
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026 5:35 am Post subject: Re: mobile version of ggmania.com |
|
|
| heretic wrote: | It’s been bothering me for a long time that ggmania.com didn’t display properly on mobile—after all, code from 1998 has its flaws So I sat down last night and tweaked the code a bit, so now it looks like it should display normally on mobile. That means you can finally read news articles comfortably. That means the front page now scrolls up and down beautifully, and there’s no need to scroll sideways.
I’m still not sure about the videos—right now, when you start playing a YouTube video on a phone, it appears right at the top of the page in full screen, which might work great with Fold phones, but I don’t have one. So I’m just guessing; I’ll keep experimenting with it.sports games
Update: Now the YouTube video plays right where I am, so I don't have to scroll anywhere once playback starts. The video is simply resized so that the entire 16:9 aspect ratio is visible. |
I’ve just checked the site from my phone and the new layout already sounds much more convenient. One thing I’m wondering about is whether the mobile version also handles images in forum posts automatically, especially very wide screenshots.
Does the new responsive layout resize those images to fit the screen, or can large images still cause horizontal scrolling? Also curious how it behaves on older phones with smaller screens. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
heretic Site Admin

Joined: 27 May 2004 Posts: 2888
|
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2026 10:22 am Post subject: Re: mobile version of ggmania.com |
|
|
| cealansmith wrote: | | heretic wrote: | It’s been bothering me for a long time that ggmania.com didn’t display properly on mobile—after all, code from 1998 has its flaws So I sat down last night and tweaked the code a bit, so now it looks like it should display normally on mobile. That means you can finally read news articles comfortably. That means the front page now scrolls up and down beautifully, and there’s no need to scroll sideways.
I’m still not sure about the videos—right now, when you start playing a YouTube video on a phone, it appears right at the top of the page in full screen, which might work great with Fold phones, but I don’t have one. So I’m just guessing; I’ll keep experimenting with it.sports games
Update: Now the YouTube video plays right where I am, so I don't have to scroll anywhere once playback starts. The video is simply resized so that the entire 16:9 aspect ratio is visible. |
I’ve just checked the site from my phone and the new layout already sounds much more convenient. One thing I’m wondering about is whether the mobile version also handles images in forum posts automatically, especially very wide screenshots.
Does the new responsive layout resize those images to fit the screen, or can large images still cause horizontal scrolling? Also curious how it behaves on older phones with smaller screens. |
The phpBB setup here is 25 years old, so I don't expect anything to work well on mobile Could you please provide a specific URL (or several) so I can test it?
In any case, thanks a lot for the feedback; I realize that the younger generation mostly uses mobile devices. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|
|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum
|
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2666 phpBB Group
|
|