Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

mobile version of ggmania.com

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> This website - Changes, Bugs, Suggestions~
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
heretic
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: 27 May 2004
Posts: 2888

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2026 1:15 pm    Post subject: mobile version of ggmania.com Reply with quote

It’s been bothering me for a long time that ggmania.com didn’t display properly on mobile—after all, code from 1998 has its flaws Smile So I sat down last night and tweaked the code a bit, so now it looks like it should display normally on mobile. That means you can finally read news articles comfortably. That means the front page now scrolls up and down beautifully, and there’s no need to scroll sideways.

I’m still not sure about the videos—right now, when you start playing a YouTube video on a phone, it appears right at the top of the page in full screen, which might work great with Fold phones, but I don’t have one. So I’m just guessing; I’ll keep experimenting with it.

Update: Now the YouTube video plays right where I am, so I don't have to scroll anywhere once playback starts. The video is simply resized so that the entire 16:9 aspect ratio is visible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
cealansmith
Contributor
Contributor


Joined: 01 Aug 2024
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2026 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: mobile version of ggmania.com Reply with quote

heretic wrote:
It’s been bothering me for a long time that ggmania.com didn’t display properly on mobile—after all, code from 1998 has its flaws Smile So I sat down last night and tweaked the code a bit, so now it looks like it should display normally on mobile. That means you can finally read news articles comfortably. That means the front page now scrolls up and down beautifully, and there’s no need to scroll sideways.

I’m still not sure about the videos—right now, when you start playing a YouTube video on a phone, it appears right at the top of the page in full screen, which might work great with Fold phones, but I don’t have one. So I’m just guessing; I’ll keep experimenting with it.sports games

Update: Now the YouTube video plays right where I am, so I don't have to scroll anywhere once playback starts. The video is simply resized so that the entire 16:9 aspect ratio is visible.

I’ve just checked the site from my phone and the new layout already sounds much more convenient. One thing I’m wondering about is whether the mobile version also handles images in forum posts automatically, especially very wide screenshots.

Does the new responsive layout resize those images to fit the screen, or can large images still cause horizontal scrolling? Also curious how it behaves on older phones with smaller screens.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
heretic
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: 27 May 2004
Posts: 2888

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2026 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: mobile version of ggmania.com Reply with quote

cealansmith wrote:
heretic wrote:
It’s been bothering me for a long time that ggmania.com didn’t display properly on mobile—after all, code from 1998 has its flaws Smile So I sat down last night and tweaked the code a bit, so now it looks like it should display normally on mobile. That means you can finally read news articles comfortably. That means the front page now scrolls up and down beautifully, and there’s no need to scroll sideways.

I’m still not sure about the videos—right now, when you start playing a YouTube video on a phone, it appears right at the top of the page in full screen, which might work great with Fold phones, but I don’t have one. So I’m just guessing; I’ll keep experimenting with it.sports games

Update: Now the YouTube video plays right where I am, so I don't have to scroll anywhere once playback starts. The video is simply resized so that the entire 16:9 aspect ratio is visible.

I’ve just checked the site from my phone and the new layout already sounds much more convenient. One thing I’m wondering about is whether the mobile version also handles images in forum posts automatically, especially very wide screenshots.

Does the new responsive layout resize those images to fit the screen, or can large images still cause horizontal scrolling? Also curious how it behaves on older phones with smaller screens.



The phpBB setup here is 25 years old, so I don't expect anything to work well on mobile Sad Could you please provide a specific URL (or several) so I can test it?

In any case, thanks a lot for the feedback; I realize that the younger generation mostly uses mobile devices.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> This website - Changes, Bugs, Suggestions~ All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2666 phpBB Group