Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Review [31909]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Review [31909] Reply with quote

Does Skyrim have us singing praise in dragon shouts or should this Elder Scrolls chapter be torn out and thrown into the fires of Oblivion?

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Venom1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Game Smile
Penetreitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Clumsy menus Reply with quote

Just start to play it, and don't like the menu system, it does the sam than Oblivion but its fairy complicated and clumsy.
Besides the improved graphis and the attack cutscenes (for kids), I hope this become interesting along the game...
-=WolverinE=-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see now...

✓Consolized menus and controls
✓Mouse acceleration / smoothing with no option to remove it
✓Low consolized FOV with no option to change it (redeemable through console command)
✓Unoptimized and with unstable framerate
✓Crappy animation and combat system
psolord
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth be told, I expected more. Not overall disastrous but it could certainly do better in all departments.

All RPGs after Withcer 2, will have some very big shoes to fill man.
-=WolverinE=-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psolord wrote:

All RPGs after Withcer 2, will have some very big shoes to fill man.

True, but that's because the developers actually wanted to make a good game instead of milkin' the cow...
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-=WolverinE=- wrote:
Let's see now...

✓Consolized menus and controls
✓Mouse acceleration / smoothing with no option to remove it
✓Low consolized FOV with no option to change it (redeemable through console command)
✓Unoptimized and with unstable framerate
✓Crappy animation and combat system

Talking out your arse! So pressing a menu button; Escape or tilde constitutes being better than a favorite selection button choice and makes it un-console like? totaly typical analised pc comment.
Pausing the game to access a huge inventory HAS to be done whether on pc or console, making a negative comment like yours- which is aimed at console and would be the same on pc is just bloody pathetic. You think the pc wouldn't pause accessing the inventory?? Be constructive, not pick on a subject that the pc is no better at, makes you look the fool. The rest of your rant is is not a format issue, rather a dev issue- Obviously.......
tride
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumpus, you cant disagree that the menus for PC are terrible! Horrible!
Freaking dumb design!
Scrolling down and up ? WTF!!!!!!!
Can you tell me what was wrong with windows like in the previous games ?
Ill tell you, they werent a console ports to the PC!!!
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not buy in yet, and base don what I heard so far, I guess I won't.
I guess I will wait for a few patches and head over to the rich kid in the next house - I am sure he bought it already...
-=WolverinE=-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumpus wrote:

Talking out your arse! So pressing a menu button; Escape or tilde constitutes being better than a favorite selection button choice and makes it un-console like? totaly typical analised pc comment.
Pausing the game to access a huge inventory HAS to be done whether on pc or console, making a negative comment like yours- which is aimed at console and would be the same on pc is just bloody pathetic. You think the pc wouldn't pause accessing the inventory?? Be constructive, not pick on a subject that the pc is no better at, makes you look the fool. The rest of your rant is is not a format issue, rather a dev issue- Obviously.......

So where exactly did I say, in my previous post, that pausing the game while in your inventory is bad? You should open your f-ing eyes, before you read any post here next time.

As for the menu itself, it's bloody horrifying. Denying that means you're either playing it no console (which automatically makes you a sedated zombie for "new ideas" like this one) or the RPG genre is not your favorite, thus your lack of knowledge about a user interface...
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UI is unacceptable. Combat with all the pets and friendlies is a disaster since you'll end up roasting or slicing up them as well as enemies. The combat system overall should have required a target. It comes off as clunky when done this way. I like being able to see enemies healthbars at a distance let alone any NPC with name and bar from a distance instead of one foot away which is what happens now even with large creatures like dragons.

I mean I can't understand why this is so difficult to get. We get help on various quests by friendly NPC's not to mention NPC pets on top of conjured pets. The funny thing is if you conjured pet attacks the NPC like lydia or the various others you can hire or ask to tag along for help they will try to kill each other. It happens far too often due to bad pathing when one is ranged and one melee the splash damage or just walking in front of it is inevitable.

Did they even play test this game?
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wager we shall see UI mods popping up like mushrooms soon...
kittomer
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, science is wrong.

Male humans DO have a period.
ballplayer72
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psolord wrote:
Truth be told, I expected more. Not overall disastrous but it could certainly do better in all departments.

It's weird, huh? Bethesda did so many good things with the game and yet it seems like a lot is missing.

Was anyone else really disappointed by the main storyline? I know that's not the point of TES games, but man did it feel incomplete. I didn't like most of the characters, and it felt like they pulled the last chapter of the game out of their asses (*Spoiler* The Underworld? Really?). Oh, and the ending was not conclusive at all. Even the main NPCs like the Yarl of Whiterun didn't acknowledge my victory.

Skyrim is beautifully detailed, but I feel there were still way too many dungeons. My main gripe with this is that the dungeons are only there for loot and leveling. How many of them reveal any mysteries about the location you're in? For instance, the Dwemer give you no idea why the race suddenly vanished. In other cases, do they really expect me to believe that a race built an elaborate underground temple for the sole purpose of worship and burials?

I'm just nitpicking at this point, but I was also not that impressed by the soundtrack. Soule is a musical genius, but I got the feeling that he kind of winged this one. Overall, Oblivion's soundtrack was way better. With that said, Skyrim's boss fight music and main theme are so good that it almost reedems the whole audio component.

I don't mean to come across as a troll. Skyrim is on many counts a very good game, and could possibly even win GOTY. It's just that when a game does so many things well, you develop high expectations for all of its other parts. Maybe I'm being too harsh; I can't ignore the fact that I spent all of my weekend playing it!
Koogle
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They ever do another Skyrim game, they better add mini masteries for horse riding .. with getting on and off faster (not ages to climb on /off as a pack of wolves chases you), horsy combat, horsy steroids, etc

Seriously though its a good game, my nitpicks so far are on that menu controls & design aren't great for a mouse or even item management.. infact bloody stupid consoltardation. I haven't even bothered with alchemy/herbalism.. it feels so stupid I just can't be arsed.. being storing all ingredients in a chest doubt I'll ever use them. Weapon enchantment and that whole re-charing soul stones is also fucking annoying aswel. And I Feel like you have to use the keyboard most the time, yet still have to jump to mouse for a few things-silly.

Anyone else had fun with carrying about a pair of baskets for thieving & pickpocketing activities?. lol. Would be nicer if you had more Dragon's Age type of control over your partner (or backpack mule) so they engage in combat the way you want, instead of preferring whatever they like.

Anyway Skyrim better than the Witcher2, Dragons Age 2 despite its short comings.. I haven't even finished it yet which is nice because it feels big and I do like all the side stuff. Hopefully good mods come out for it, that would make me want to play it again in the future.

really need a mod that you can use to settup keyboard shortcut to a selection set of weapon/armor outfits.. pressing [q] and selecting different shit all the time to change combat styles is retarded.. It's like dragon fight, bow+items.. ok dragon lands.. swap melee/magic run to dragon.. oh he's taking off again.. fuck.

Quote:
Did they even play test this game?

Yeh I know what you mean, gave Lydia a fireball staff.. and got myself roasted in melee combat. Usually its not bad but its definitely better if they tank. Like I said before about DA2, they should have taken some tips from it, as it does feel clunky and underdeveloped in some areas. Still it sort of works out if you adapt to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: