Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Total Annihilation creator backs the PC [29629]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 2683

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tom:

dude, I don't know where you buy hardware, but I payed for that stuff 10 to 20% more one year ago, except for 5850 which I picked up almost just after it was launched when prices were lower than they are now. I payed it 190 euros. c2d 8200 I payed 130 euros in August 2008. You can get phenom 2 for that money now. RAM is Geil black dragon, I payed it 55 euros one year ago. And honestly, you can't calculate screen into PC price because you don't calculate 800$ 42 LCD-TV into PS3 price do you? Wink

edit: looking at the prices now, yea, everything is more expensive. Memory went up quite a bit compared to last year. I guess it has to do with those typhoons hitting Taiwan last year, destroying few factories etc. Truth to be told, you don't have to get Geil, you can buy some crap it will work just fine. even 2gb is enough if you don't use x64 OS. As WD green being crap, well I disagree, it's a solid drive, quiet, fast, 2 years warranty, what more do you want? Raptors in RAID? Well buddy, shit like that is loud and quite expensive. It's a luxury item for many. Just don't tell me you were thinking of making 1TB with SSDs...that's just absurd. We are talking about a PC that can run games, SSD or raptor isn't needed for that. 200$ diNovo logitech set isn't needed either, so don't talk about shitty components, PS3 has shitty components inside to, xbox 360 has even more shitty components. AFAIK, you don't get raptors or SSDs with them do you?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2004
Posts: 4299

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.. PS3 has some really shitty components.. the best and upgradable blu-ray player you can buy and a nvidia video card.. not to mention a good quality seagate hard drive.. so what are the crap components again? Oh maybe the built in wireless or physical wire connector? Hmm, oh wait.. it must be the plastic they used.. right..

I didn't buy my LCD to just play on PS3, that would be totally assinine. And no I don't factor it into cost of PS3, because I had the screen way before I had my PS3. I might as well factor in my 3 year old THX sound system too eh? Give it a rest. Ya I love how all of sudden it becomes Euro's.. and even still if I am right.. 55 euro's is 80 bucks american and 130 is is 170 american.. Right there it's over $200, plus taxes.

You can say whatever you want fella about cheap pc's. I continue to build PC's for people so I am current with the prices all the time and you are full of shit or provide bills and stuff and back up your bullshit. In the meantime quit spouting bs. A $300 pc does not exist and if it did, it will buy you shit and your pc gaming experience will suck ass too. Gaming on pc is expensive and it's an ongoing expense to stay current with and enjoy games the way the were MEANT to be.

Quit wasting mine and everyone elses time with your BS
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 22 Jun 2010
Posts: 710

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom wrote:
Csimbi wrote:
Well, no surprise here. Everyone has a PC nowadays; no additional investment is needed to play games (as long as the hardware requirements are not sky high).


Too bad that is not the case though. Upgrades for gaming are needed every 6months to a year. If you want the best looking game experience. Just because people have a PC does not mean they can game.


This isn't exactly true both are half truths. My 7800GTX 512mb cards and 8800 GTX's still play the latest and greatest up to 1900x1200 res fine with adjustments for certain ones. These two series products are long in the tooth and work fine except for extreme resolutions and maximum AA and shadows. They're installed on older systems like a X2 AMD dual core 4800+ and a Intel Quad Extreme 3.2. They get the job done.

I'm pretty sure I've said something already about the GTX460. Purchased one recently as a replacement and it runs any game for under two hundred dollars.

Comparing upkeep costs and total purchase is kind of silly considering everything involved. Consoles like one person said need to include the cost of your television as without it you can't play. We shouldn't forget all the money you spend on extra controllers and gizmos which actually almost double the cost of owning those systems like XBox and PS3 and Wii. One controller or even two nowadays aren't enough for everyone. Add in the cost of Xbox live membership on top of your monthly internet fees as well. Consoles are a huge money sink in comparison to PC and the only thing you can do with them is watch a movie maybe or play games!

PC's a complete system might cost you around 500-1000 dollars then another 150-1000 dollars for a respectable video card to play games on. Internet is a monthly fee and let's not forget the lil gizmos here either like mousepads or special laser gaming mice you can buy. It does get expensive. The major difference here though is you can find a job, work from home, tele commute, email, web browse, create actual games for consoles or pc or handheld phones, and various other uses that we find trivial nowadays. It's not just a game platform and it usually more than makes up for itself by handling everything fairly well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2004
Posts: 4299

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baconnaise wrote:

This isn't exactly true both are half truths. My 7800GTX 512mb cards and 8800 GTX's still play the latest and greatest up to 1900x1200 res fine with adjustments for certain ones. These two series products are long in the tooth and work fine except for extreme resolutions and maximum AA and shadows. They're installed on older systems like a X2 AMD dual core 4800+ and a Intel Quad Extreme 3.2. They get the job done.


I said, playing them the way they are meant to be played. Not dumbing them down. And I know what a 7800 and a 8800 can do as my wife plays the Sims. She no longer has those cards because it was choppy and crappy looking with an AMD dual core and running at measily 1680x1050. Let's see how DragonAge or TwoWorlds 2 plays with a 7800 or 8800 at 1920x1200 and high quality settings.

Baconnaise wrote:

I'm pretty sure I've said something already about the GTX460. Purchased one recently as a replacement and it runs any game for under two hundred dollars.


Fantastic, but a GTX460 is not going to work in everyone system, it will require upgrades. And then can you put the rest of the system together for $300, no, you can't.

Baconnaise wrote:

Comparing upkeep costs and total purchase is kind of silly considering everything involved. Consoles like one person said need to include the cost of your television as without it you can't play. We shouldn't forget all the money you spend on extra controllers and gizmos which actually almost double the cost of owning those systems like XBox and PS3 and Wii. One controller or even two nowadays aren't enough for everyone. Add in the cost of Xbox live membership on top of your monthly internet fees as well. Consoles are a huge money sink in comparison to PC and the only thing you can do with them is watch a movie maybe or play games!


I am still on my original controllers, I haven't bought anything for my PS3. Xbox sure, they soak you with network cards etc. Guitar hero, either for PC or console you need guitar or be a fag and play it with keyboard.. yippee. Consoles have bundles that include 2 controllers and even a cam and there are bundles on sale all the time. $449 usually or less. PC also has lots of games that charge a yearly fee, like Warcraft for example which is well more than a Xbox membership. Hell even Star Trek online is more expensive than Xbox live. You are a moron to say a console is a money sink in comparison to a PC. Totally retarded. Financially a PC is a a way bigger money hole. I don't buy $300+ $400+ upgrades for my console every year. And I don't just watch movies and stuff on my console, at one time I was able to use Linux on my PS3 and currently I stream media from a PC to my PS3 to my TV. And my PS3 feeds my PSP for games too. I can also cruise the net, check my mail and do almost anything you can do internet wise including playing online games. But nice try..

Baconnaise wrote:

PC's a complete system might cost you around 500-1000 dollars then another 150-1000 dollars for a respectable video card to play games on. Internet is a monthly fee and let's not forget the lil gizmos here either like mousepads or special laser gaming mice you can buy. It does get expensive. The major difference here though is you can find a job, work from home, tele commute, email, web browse, create actual games for consoles or pc or handheld phones, and various other uses that we find trivial nowadays. It's not just a game platform and it usually more than makes up for itself by handling everything fairly well.


Everyone has a PC, that all been discussed before man. No duh you can do other things than game. Having a PC to game in comparison to a console is a different thing. And as for a TV required for a console, who the hell wouldn't have a TV in the first place? Talk about a weak argument to inflate console cost.. So F off about including that in the cost of a console. You could game with a PS3 on a damn 27" trinitron if you wanted. So are you going to factor in a 15 year old TV? give it a rest.

Seriously, who's the next moron to try and say an everyday person would rather run to a store and buy a PC rather than a console to game. Gaming companies are profiting from console, not PC. Other than the gayCraft games there is no PC game I can think of that outsold it's console counterpart. And Chris can BS and that iD guy can BS that PC ain't dying but all they are doing is pushing their own businesses because they too are in denial.

P.S. I really don't care to continue this conversation. I am not going to keep responding to idiotic comparisons. A $300 pc is junk for gaming a $300 gaming pc doesn't exist unless it's second hand. Yes, maybe at $1000 you can do it, but a PC always needs upgrading. A console doesn't. A TV is a given in any household and to say that factors into the cost is just totally retarded. You might also say, I need a computer chair and a computer desk and shelves for all my media..Some of your points are just totally ill-founded and have no logic and or truth and as far as I am concerned this topic is beyond conversing about. It's pointless talking to some of you because it's like talking to an 8year old that wants to go ride his bike in a rain storm outside and fighting to try and convince me. Gaming today is more popular on console and it will continue to be that way unless lots of roadblocks on PC are eliminated. They haven't eliminated any of them in +20 years and they aren't about too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
psolord
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 06 Aug 2005
Posts: 966
Location: Greece

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom wrote:
Yes.. PS3 has some really shitty components.. the best and upgradable blu-ray player you can buy and a nvidia video card.. not to mention a good quality seagate hard drive.. so what are the crap components again? Oh maybe the built in wireless or physical wire connector? Hmm, oh wait.. it must be the plastic they used.. right..

I didn't buy my LCD to just play on PS3, that would be totally assinine. And no I don't factor it into cost of PS3, because I had the screen way before I had my PS3. I might as well factor in my 3 year old THX sound system too eh? Give it a rest. Ya I love how all of sudden it becomes Euro's.. and even still if I am right.. 55 euro's is 80 bucks american and 130 is is 170 american.. Right there it's over $200, plus taxes.

You can say whatever you want fella about cheap pc's. I continue to build PC's for people so I am current with the prices all the time and you are full of shit or provide bills and stuff and back up your bullshit. In the meantime quit spouting bs. A $300 pc does not exist and if it did, it will buy you shit and your pc gaming experience will suck ass too. Gaming on pc is expensive and it's an ongoing expense to stay current with and enjoy games the way the were MEANT to be.

Quit wasting mine and everyone elses time with your BS


I built a system for you with links galore so you can feast your eyes on. You asked for links.

So if someone backs his opinion with hard PROOFS, is waisting your time? Of course he is, if he proves you wrong.

Look again, since you obviously missed something. With the same money you need for a PS3, you get a very decent PC, with Conroe based architecture and a Radeon 4850 1GB. More than enough for excellent 1080P gaming and some toning down of the settings when needed.

On top of that, it's a freagin PC, which you can use to do millions of things.

Consoles cannot do that. End of story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 2683

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well Tom, actually it's not even euros, it's dinars (RSD) my country uses it's own currency. I could provide bills but I am not going to for more than one obvious reason. I have nothing to prove to you, psolord gave you some prices, which you ignore. You are also ignoring what I said about increase in price for RAM and 58xx cards since last year. You can try and actually check that fact yourself. I am selling my 5850 with 2 more years warranty for 200 euros atm so if you have anyone that can collect in Serbia there you go. You will even get the bill saying it was payed 19.600rsd (1 euro ~ 100rsd).

As for shitty ps3 parts, here you go, nvidia 7xxx series GPU powering your graphics together with 1ghz crappy cell cpu's and some rambus outdated RAM which market rejected long time ago. I wasn't talking about the quality of build, I was referring to crap old hardware inside which alone isn't worth more than 50$

as for LCDTV, I don;t see your point? I told you 2 times you can hook up PC to that screen, together with ps3, xbox or whatever. You don't need dedicated PC screen, that was my point.

Also, good luck with watching ripped movies, downloads and internet browsing on your PS3 and it's BR player lol. Who cares about the quality of BR player anyway? Most people use it just to put games in it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2666 phpBB Group