Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Microsoft on Vista Gaming Problems [23157]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Microsoft on Vista Gaming Problems [23157] Reply with quote

Rich Wickham, the director of Games for Windows business over at Microsoft, posted

an open letter (thanks VE) addressing some early problems Vista is having with games: Some of you may have heard about some incompatibilities with games running on Windows Vista. I'd like to clear up some misconceptions.

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
miglaugh
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how WildTangent keeps getting their name mentioned like they make real games, or aren't just spyware peddlers.
Skychaser
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miglaugh wrote:
I love how WildTangent keeps getting their name mentioned like they make real games, or aren't just spyware peddlers.

Exactly what I was thinking. Makes sense that they're whining about security I suppose...
Ozieo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a pile of horseshit. They ask about the crap game-performance and they drool out over some parental controls. Rolling Eyes
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares.. Vista will buy you nothing moving to it now, except headaches. Vista is buggy and it's nowhere close to being as good as XP, AnandTech can blow me I don't buy their indirect, go buy Vista article. I thought that 4GB memory kit was very funny. Yeah, that's it on the nose, you 'need' 4GB if ur gonna play games on Vista... lol. 2 for Bloat, 2 for games!

I have to say it's really irritating to see people go gaga over Vista.. Is PC just filled with idiots? Sure f'ing looks like it. Explains why there are morons going out to spend $600 on a video card. I see threads here and there where I go and there is zero rationale to their apparent love for Vista... I guess that's just the Microsoft Marketing engine that's working for some.

I am willing to bet there are more negatives to gaming with Vista than positives. As a matter of fact I am absolultely sure there is more to lose, more problems to be had than it's worth. The side I hate is you just know all these Vista-lovers are gonna be coming back and whining about this and that problem and filling forums with problems they had because they were stupid and went for a bloated/buggy OS.
Safer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*taps wrist watch* Been out for about... what? 2-3 days? I wonder who thought it would be fool proof to begin with.

Also, point a to a release of a OS that instantly was made diamond with it oh so awesome support for 3D party games and applications.

XXXX: I think this "gaga" effect is because people are simply bored. Seening the ugly face of XP since 2001, and now something that is pretty nice to look at - do the math. The compability issue is secondhand. Razz
djRom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are totally right safer..Enter in Mac OS X. lol
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safer they can easily throw on a different theme if they're bored. I don't find clicking additional buttons makes an OS any more interesting. There's nothing Vista can do that I can't do on XP. I don't think hardware is second hand either, there are things called drivers that 'allow' you to use Vista properly. Those drivers are beta and non-existent not to mention general Creative labs sound support totally sucks.

for those interested in changing up that boring XP theme...
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=140707
this alone enables a whole new view on XP giving you access to hundreds, if not thousands of themes. No bloatware just a changed file and you're free to use any theme out there.

I have about 20 themes myself but continually adding. When I'm bored with my GUI I change it up a little. Lots of amazing free themes here, some even look like Vista. You can even get the vista icons Wink

http://www.belchfire.net/themes/p13_sectionid/3

Hey and if you're rich you can get Window Blinds or Object Desktop.. $19 and you can install even cooler theme and make your own.
http://www.stardock.com/products/windowblinds/

Mac sucks Laughing
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly: Windows Blinds is laggy resource hogging pile of crap, causing serious issues with many applications.

Secondly: As an OS, Vista isn't anywhere near as buggy as you imply. It's the 3rd party support that isn't up to scratch yet, seeing as it was only just released.
It only utilizes 200 Meg or so more RAM anyways, and I'd hardly be so stupid to say that it is simply a bloat OS with nothing significantly good about it.

Thirdly: Mac OS X is pure sex Razz
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be doing exactly what we did before buying XP and that's leave it for about a year after release.
That way it will have had it's customary Beta testing by the hyperbole mob and it's umpteen security patches applied and it will be practicaly free to buy on Ebay oh and it might just play games by then too! Lol
Safer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XXXX: You can change its face but it's still XP, correct? Regardless of the total amount of new or improved features that Vista acctually bring, it still attracts people because it's "new". Hell, why do you think that iPod went thermo-nuclear on the mp3 player market a few years back? It didn't really have any function that made it superior over any other mp3 player. It just looked cool, was branded with "Apple" and was over-hyped.

(Last time I checked, every time a OS was released, the void of good drivers was so staggering it almost collapsed into itself.)

Also, I own Windows Blinds myself and have used it pretty much since the final "theme" layout of Aero was completed but changed to the "Zune theme" until I could install the final build of vista (it helps being in the test program since 2 years back).

OSX: I can't really say anything bad about it - it works as it should, is pretty easy to use for most people and looks okay. But what hits a nerve is this god awful "holier than thou" attitude Apple throws about all things it makes.
"Its sooooooooooo easy to use our things... and we can play games, make music! OH SO GOOD WE ARE!"

The only company worth mentioning that has released mainstream games for the Mac is Blizzard.

I like the aesthetics, but good forbid if I ever meet Steve Jobs.
darknothing
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill keep a close eye on vista, and when its all fixed ill buy it Smile
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Stumpus, yep.

Safer wrote:
XXXX: You can change its face but it's still XP, correct? Regardless of the total amount of new or improved features that Vista acctually bring, it still attracts people because it's "new". Hell, why do you think that iPod went thermo-nuclear on the mp3 player market a few years back? It didn't really have any function that made it superior over any other mp3 player. It just looked cool, was branded with "Apple" and was over-hyped.

I can agree with that. I don't own an iPod myself. Worthless gadget to me.

Safer wrote:

OSX: I can't really say anything bad about it - it works as it should, is pretty easy to use for most people and looks okay. But what hits a nerve is this god awful "holier than thou" attitude Apple throws about all things it makes.
"Its sooooooooooo easy to use our things... and we can play games, make music! OH SO GOOD WE ARE!"

Apple is so good but there is nothing worthwhile for it. Especially games. What's the point of OS/X if there's nothing comparable to the selection of Windows. Apple has always dwindled in Entertainment and Games. It has always only had a trickle of games. OS/X is Linux, there's dick for it and it's more susceptible to attacks. It is a worthy GUI for Linux. I'll give it that.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devilhood wrote:
Firstly: Windows Blinds is laggy resource hogging pile of crap, causing serious issues with many applications.

I think you forgot, 'at least on my pc.' in your post. I had no problems with it, I don't use it anymore because I just use the uxtheme hack. I'm lazy and it does what I want.
djRom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am old fashioned, but I just use the Windows Classic theme. Sure its, boring, but it helps things load just that much faster. Plus I change a few colors, and its like my own theme that doesn't take up anymore processes. (I like having things open as quickly as possible, no matter what machine I am on, rather than having it look nice. Even with Vista, I plan to turn off the aero theme, soon enough, lol.)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: