Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Some GPUs Are Getting More Expensive! [58718]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject: Some GPUs Are Getting More Expensive! [58718] Reply with quote

First Crypto, then AI, now a Trade Dispute. Bloody hell is going on in the GPU market? ;-)

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was already announced earlier this week that the high-end cards would not be allowed to be sold in China.
Prices going up is a natural consequence to that.

When I was in my 20s, high-tech companies were moving from cheap India to even cheaper China.
Seems the trend is now reversing. China does not play by US rules, so high-tech companies will go back to India.
It's a loss for everyone involved.
For the high-tech companies, for the customers and China (and their would-be customers).
Not sure how can it possibly be worth it for China in the long run...
Sure, they can be proud of showing the finger to the US thought I don't know how is that going to help anyone.
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling I'm going to be staying with the 3080 for at least 1-2 more years.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That card is going to be for more than that.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick google.

Quote:
U.S. goods and services trade with China totaled an estimated $758.4 billion in 2022. Exports were $195.5 billion; imports were $562.9 billion. The U.S. goods and services trade deficit with China was $367.4 billion in 2022.

China is unfortunately a global giant, that all countries need and trade with. In Europe alone, no one has US goods. It’s all made to some degree in China.
Even global manufacturers use Chinese labour. Cars, white goods, your tv will have Chinese parts in it.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt, Sabot.
You need to go back to 2000-2005 to see what it was like before the world built up the industries in China.
I bet nobody will be making new investments there anymore - things will go back to India gradually.
If the Chinese don't play nice, they'll be left out.
Easy as that.
It's about time, I have to say because the quality of a lot of products is far below expectations.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I go back to say the early 70s, the biggest joke back then was ‘made in Taiwan’. I kid you not. It was stamped on the cheapest everything.

Now of course it’s China.

India is now becoming a global empire. It has overtaken the U.K.
The problem, regardless, is that back in the 60-70s everything was built to last and companies were traditionally renowned for products. Singer, Panasonic, JVC. Cars,TVs were built to be worked on. Not so now.
Everything is built to Chuck away! “No user serviceable parts inside’ (you’ve seen that) It’s consumerism at its very best.
They want you to buy and buy. This isn’t about quality this is about turnover.
The build quality of everything today is utter shit!

Our Bosch dishwasher has just failed the heating element, most expensive part, after 20 YEARS I fixed the impeller jug and our LG Direct Drive is still going at 20 years! I repaired the bearing, spider and drum seal for £20 from Amazon. Our polo is 16 years old and the only thing that has been done on it is a new exhaust last year!

We drove a Vauxhall moka rental (while our exhaust was getting done) brand new, it was like shutting tin plate doors. The sound was terrible on the road. Suspension like leaf springs!
Honestly, nothing is serviceable anymore and a generation don’t give a toss about fixing anything because they don’t own anything!
So that’s why we are what we are today.

Nothing built to last, nothing built to be repaired. No repair shops. Fuck even plugs are BONDED on products, instead of wired.

Lastly:

The world is on a precipice.
In science I was reading that the critical mass of this planet will be reached in 50-100 years time.
That’s the most population that the earth can sustain. Reckoned to be around 10-12 billion. Food,water will be off the scale scarce. There will be deforestation on a monumental size for building to house humans.

Wars will be the norm, fighting for land, food and water. The planet will be boiling due to no trees to absorb greenhouse gases.

The craziest thing about this. When I was born the planet was exactly half the population of what it is now.
I know what living in the 60s was like. Cars, people shops, more open space than the eye could see of undeveloped land. Smog from industry was the worst thing.

27 years ago,
What I could drive in daily commute took me 12 1/2 minutes to drive. Now it’s an HOUR. That’s people,cars and traffic. There’s nothing to dispute.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I feel the same way.
What can we do thought?
Die at our earliest convenience?
psolord
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If cards are banned in China, shouldn't they get cheaper, due to lower demand? Confused
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your dreams. Remember, just because they are banned to sell in China, doesn’t stop people in China getting them through other means. Like anywhere in the world. So they will still sell and stay at silly prices because of demand
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psolord wrote:
If cards are banned in China, shouldn't they get cheaper, due to lower demand? Confused

There'll be just more "faulty" devices that find their ways onto the gray market.
Also, very few Chinese can actually afford the 4090 card - only BC miners.
And those volumes are better not sold...
Just read an article on Sky News on the power consumption of these miners globally.
They consume as much as a smaller country (!).
sherlygavell454
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabot wrote:
In your dreams. Remember, just because they are banned to sell in China, doesn’t stop people in China getting them through other means. Like anywhere in the world. So they will still sell and stay at silly prices because of demand

It is better to disassemble furniture, at least take out mirrors, remove doors and shelves. Wrap the corners with special film.For large household appliances, fix the doors, the glass is better sealed with bags of puffy bags.For your own convenience, reinforce the boxes with tape and stick stickers with the name of the contents with https://expomovers.com/. This will make it easier to sort out your belongings in your new apartment.It is better to carry documents and valuables with you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: