Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Intel Core i5-12400 Could be the Next [53970]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:37 am    Post subject: Intel Core i5-12400 Could be the Next [53970] Reply with quote

Intel's upcoming Core i5-12400 uot;Alder Lake-Suot; processor could be an interesting piece of silicon. Apparently, not all 12th Gen Core i5 desktop chips have the same core-configuration. While the top Core i5-12600K is expected to have six uot;Golden Coveuot; P cores and four uot;Gracemontuot; E-cores, so

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good on paper.
Remains to be seen in real life.
A USD220 price tag is not bad at all, but as you said, most people will want the 'K' series with an unlocked multiplier.
4GHz is not a whole lot. I expected >=6GHz.
Power consumption is higher than I expected.
Let's see what the price tag on the K series will be and what power they require.

Samsung is prepping 2 nanometer chips for 2025.
Where is Intel?
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryzen 3700X post ~5000 score in CB20, it was a <300 eur CPU, going at ~320 eur atm.

As for single threaded performance, AMD was never that good with that (not bad but not Intel)

Quote:
Samsung is prepping 2 nanometer chips for 2025.
Where is Intel?

Samsung is preparing MOBILE chips, Intel doesn't do those and architecturally they are night and day. Wink Samsung doesn't even have x86 license so they operate in different markets.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
Samsung is preparing MOBILE chips, Intel doesn't do those and architecturally they are night and day. Wink Samsung doesn't even have x86 license so they operate in different markets.

Mobile vs. desktop is day and night, yes.
But I was talking about 2nm as a technology.
The tech can be used for both mobiles and desktops; I'm sure the silicon won't mind if the electrons are moving through it while it is moving on a train or sitting stationary on a desk...
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no 2nm "desktop" process, or any 2nm fab process, for now. They are not the same thing for mobile chips and desktop chips due to power requirements, among other things.

edit: also, different fabs process wafers differently and yields are different. Most common example would be Intels' 14nm vs TSMC 14nm in which Intels' is more comparable to TSMCs' 10nm due to efficiency and density. Basically, First Zen, was worse efficiency wise compared to Intels' 14nm. Zen+ @10nm was more comparable to Intel yet still behind in raw performance. We know have Rocket Lake in 14nm successfully competing with 7nm from TSMC.
So the "nano-meters" is only one dimension of the chip manufacturing process.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
there is no 2nm "desktop" process, or any 2nm fab process, for now. They are not the same thing for mobile chips and desktop chips due to power requirements, among other things.

edit: also, different fabs process wafers differently and yields are different. Most common example would be Intels' 14nm vs TSMC 14nm in which Intels' is more comparable to TSMCs' 10nm due to efficiency and density. Basically, First Zen, was worse efficiency wise compared to Intels' 14nm. Zen+ @10nm was more comparable to Intel yet still behind in raw performance. We know have Rocket Lake in 14nm successfully competing with 7nm from TSMC.
So the "nano-meters" is only one dimension of the chip manufacturing process.

I did not say that there is.
I said it's planned for 2025.
AMD is doing its new CPUs on 7 nm.
Intel is on what? Toilet paper, lol
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intel is on track don't worry. Their toilet paper is still better for gaming than any AMD.

PS. AMD has done CPUs on 7nm already starting with Zen 3, and will go on 5nm with Zen 4 (AM5) and it's great that they have moved Intel from the sleep. Problem is, AMD is going to compete for fab slots with the world while Intel, having shit ton of money is making two more state of the art fabs and wont compete for slots with anyone Wink

Quote:
I did not say that there is.

You implied that Samsung's 2nm can somehow be translated into laptop/desktop/server chips. It can't. Samsung chips are worse than Qualcomm's chips, no matter the size. That's why they use Snapdragon in US, and their (Exynos) worse alternative in the rest of the world.
Samsung has accomplished nothing for the user, only for their income. Don't get me started on their S21 for thousands of euros using FHD screen...
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsung might suck (I would not know, I never had a Samsung device in my life), but the 2nm is coming.
It's only a matter of time for TSMC to build its 2nm production lines and by the time they are done, AMD will have the design to print on them.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
Samsung might suck (I would not know, I never had a Samsung device in my life), but the 2nm is coming.
It's only a matter of time for TSMC to build its 2nm production lines and by the time they are done, AMD will have the design to print on them.

I had a 6x Samsung CD-ROM drive (IDE) on my pentium P90 in about 95.
They make excellent American fridge freezers (ours lasted 15years) and washing machines amongst others
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their stuff is good, but not the best, at least not in the phone market. Their best stuff doesn't use their chips. Their chips are good, just not as good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: