Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Activision Blizzard Cuts 600 Jobs [32514]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 2683

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
gx-x wrote:
since when did blue ray became high quality film medium anyway?
It never was and never will be. It's just bigger than a DVD.


Smile it was retorical question Smile HDDVD was bigger than DVD also
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 05 Mar 2010
Posts: 5576
Location: The bright side of the dark side

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I did not get that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Posts: 2500
Location: The Dark Side of The Moon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
since when did blue ray became high quality film medium anyway? Since sony sold you guys milions of PS3s for games and beaten HDDVD? What did that lead to? mkv BR rips packed in ~10GB loose ~2% of quality and that is only seen on professional grade gear, not on PS3...


Forget PS3. Blu-Ray is the medium that 3D films are released on and rented out from. Not to forget that 2D sits alongside the 3D version on one convenient blu-ray disc. Rather than making 2-3 different versions.

I have a near £1,000 Panasonic full 3D 7.1 system, that obviously plays standard DVD as well as standard Blu-ray.
Films don't go anywhere near my PS3 when i want pure sound and visual quality. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 2683

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

granted, it's convenient to have more space and pack more things then you would be able with hddvd format, but it comes with the price. Actually, 20GB hddvd would be enough for 3D true-HD movie as well. PS3 was mentioned in context that it represented the means for BR to win the format war.
I personally couldn't care less for either of them, I get all my movies in digital format without physical medium. I don't need standalone players, and if I did, I would opt for something like WDTV and plug a network cable in it or just an external HDD. Razz

edit: I either go to the theater or download movies from the internet, I have no desire to pay for that stuff, with the theater being an obvious exception Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 22 Jun 2010
Posts: 710

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
granted, it's convenient to have more space and pack more things then you would be able with hddvd format, but it comes with the price. Actually, 20GB hddvd would be enough for 3D true-HD movie as well. PS3 was mentioned in context that it represented the means for BR to win the format war.
I personally couldn't care less for either of them, I get all my movies in digital format without physical medium. I don't need standalone players, and if I did, I would opt for something like WDTV and plug a network cable in it or just an external HDD. Razz

edit: I either go to the theater or download movies from the internet, I have no desire to pay for that stuff, with the theater being an obvious exception Very Happy


I use the wd tv with wireless g atm (waiting for new gigabit router since old one died) and it streams even hd fine via wireless. If you pick one up you'll be happy with it.

Are you saying the file sizes and methods used for HD quality are a little over the top? I would tend to agree with you if you were making a small point here about that. I've got the whole season of shit my dad says and it's a 30 minute show. This means average scene SD qual or digital should be around 175-200mb. I have the 720p HD what it aired at which is about 500mb. There are people who go even bigger with file sizes over a gig or two. It really depends on the station and what it broadcasts at but many of the HD releases are wastes of space.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 2683

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baconnaise wrote:
gx-x wrote:
granted, it's convenient to have more space and pack more things then you would be able with hddvd format, but it comes with the price. Actually, 20GB hddvd would be enough for 3D true-HD movie as well. PS3 was mentioned in context that it represented the means for BR to win the format war.
I personally couldn't care less for either of them, I get all my movies in digital format without physical medium. I don't need standalone players, and if I did, I would opt for something like WDTV and plug a network cable in it or just an external HDD. Razz

edit: I either go to the theater or download movies from the internet, I have no desire to pay for that stuff, with the theater being an obvious exception Very Happy


I use the wd tv with wireless g atm (waiting for new gigabit router since old one died) and it streams even hd fine via wireless. If you pick one up you'll be happy with it.

Are you saying the file sizes and methods used for HD quality are a little over the top? I would tend to agree with you if you were making a small point here about that. I've got the whole season of shit my dad says and it's a 30 minute show. This means average scene SD qual or digital should be around 175-200mb. I have the 720p HD what it aired at which is about 500mb. There are people who go even bigger with file sizes over a gig or two. It really depends on the station and what it broadcasts at but many of the HD releases are wastes of space.


Some things are worth watching in HD, some things are not worth watching in VHS let alone FullHD 3D...It's a matter of personal choice and taste. But that aside, 1080p scene movie release is around 10GB (DTS sound, ~100mins) and when played using, for instance, madashi (MadVR) renderer setup correctly it looks astonishing. Much better than standalone BR player and 40GB BR version of the same thing (as far as I have seen)
I am saying BR is overrated since it doesn't offer anything special if you have internet access and are willing to "steal" movies from internet. It also makes you watch commercials, warnings and other shit.
That's my opinion anyway, you folks are welcome to disagree with it Razz

PS. You can download all 3D movies as well, you can even convert 2D movies to 3D movies (obviously this isn't the same as the "real deal" but then again, very few movies are actually shot in 3D, they mostly have been remastered and converted to 3D anyway)

PPS. I think 3D movies are overrated too. Waaay overrated...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Posts: 2500
Location: The Dark Side of The Moon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="gx-x"][quote="Baconnaise"]
gx-x wrote:

PS. You can download all 3D movies as well, you can even convert 2D movies to 3D movies (obviously this isn't the same as the "real deal" but then again, very few movies are actually shot in 3D, they mostly have been remastered and converted to 3D anyway)

PPS. I think 3D movies are overrated too. Waaay overrated...


I have a 46" and 23" TV that converts anything from 2D to 3D. It works very well on PC games and certainly some progs, mainly CGI films.

As i have a full expensive 3D setup -for the past 18months- and viewed 3D on cheaper tv sets, i have to disagree.
My 46" Panasonic is active, whereby my LG 23" is passive. There is a world of difference in quality with the same films/games on these two sets.
The active produces flicker free 60fps per eye on a 600Hz set. It's like watching pure glass. It also suffers ZERO cross-talk. Something that lesser sets suffer badly from. Even a near £5000 55" LED 3D Sony suffered (for me) flicker -some people can see it- it also had bad, bad cross-talk at all distances.
Research and going to specialist centres, Sony,Panasonic, LG enabled me to view 3D on a variety of tv's that i would NEVER own price-wise, but others i could in all light conditions.
I watch a 3D film once a week, every week. I rent them through a film/game package and can honestly say having watched 2D films on high-end gear for the past 20 years, 3D is like going from colour to black&white in tv evolution -with the right gear and of course the desire to WANT it.
Example: There's no point in sitting smoking/drinking your money away and then dissing an evolution simply because you're never going to own it because you wont change a habit. I've heard it many a time, it's the only way that some folk justify it to themselves.
Every car out there does the same thing, it drives A to B, burns fuel and gives you freedom, but when you start to talk price/performance? Then the car isn't the same anymore. Same is said about the PC in terms of what it is, it does the same thing as any other PC, except when you change the HW.
Back to the TV, again price and features change a normal tv into a completely different ball game.
You can't sit and paint 3D as an over-rated evolution in fim, gaming etc If it was it wouldn't be still around and having money ploughed into TV and progs, education and even surgery.
Everything is finite. It will run it's course -like vynl,tape cassette,CD to MP3.
It's subjective as a subject.
I have no commitments. No kids -and never will. I'm older and can buy what i want (within reason) research HW and have a wife that loves gaming and hardware.
I have 3D cable tv, football,films on demand.
I buy what i want, but i know that someone is sitting out there watching 3D on a MIND blowing setup that totaly defines the genre. That is the nature of the beast, just accept it that you have an opinion but others have and do own the equipment that will supercede yours and you can't base 3D on sub-standard viewing or research.
PS: i've downloaded 720P 3D 8gb films and they are rubbish compaired to native 3D blu-ray. They are also not sharp around the edges, depth is poor,poor and just don't go there with regards to sound. They are also in some cases presented in side-by-side 3D side-by-side 3D results in a halving of the horizontal resolution of each frame intended for the left and right eye
After 18months of weekly viewing, i think i can be a good judge of quality- maybe not about the film itself, but on £2000 worth of top of the range Panasonic that shipped with Avatar inc, after seeing the film in an IMAX 3D theatre, the panasonic special made for the 3D tv range, was far superior to a 100+ft IMAX. It was sharper and with incredible 7.1 audio. Sure you can't view 100ft 3D, but who exactly can?? 3d is more immersive in the home and that's what matters for me Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 2683

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

download 1080p 3d, not 720p hd 3d. BR is in 1080p.

As for 3D, I meant that I don't like it too much unless it's in the movie theater on a really really big screen. Looking 3D into the box is just silly, at least to me. 2D gives me less distraction and better immersion.
So, I wasn't talking about which TV is better for 3D, I was talking about the experience in general. I had a chance to view 3D movie on 2x1080p projectors giving some 4x3 meters picture on the wall using polarization lenses, like in the cinema and I find that satisfying 3D. 3D TV's are just way to small (again, it's my impression) and IMO waste of money if you are not looking at them from a very short distance, under 2 meters. Also, I find shutters unacceptable, only polarization glasses for me, thank you Razz

All in all, if I want to view something in proper 3D, which is a rare occasion, I simply go and watch it in cinema for ~10$

Now don't get me wrong. If you enjoy it at home, if it is satisfactory to you I can understand that. To me, it's just way overrated. I'd rather go with virtual boxes and LCD goggles for full immersion.

PS. LCD screens have response time. I assume you know what that means. There is no LCD panel in the world that can fire up and shut down pixels at 600Hz. They can't even keep up with 60Hz at this time. You can force the signal to refresh them 1200000 times per second (120000Hz) but nothing is going to happen, they are still going to "fire up" as fast as they did on 60Hz. 600Hz is just a gimmick, an effect that is being processed by TV which basically averages the time between two frames in the signal and then adds more frames in between, thus giving you the "soap opera" series show effect. There are plugins for some video players (KMPlayer for example) that do the same thing and turn your screen into amazing 120Hz screen Razz (it makes videos into 60fps) although, you cannot use that plugin for 3D, or maybe you can, hm, I haven't tried it. Razz

PPS. You need to hear audio systems where only fronts cost ~5000$ and then be the judge of your amazing 7.1 sound for 2000$ Razz I think youwill find one more thing that you can shell your money into, and the difference will be bigger than 2d vs 3d movie Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 22 Jun 2010
Posts: 710

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
Baconnaise wrote:
gx-x wrote:
granted, it's convenient to have more space and pack more things then you would be able with hddvd format, but it comes with the price. Actually, 20GB hddvd would be enough for 3D true-HD movie as well. PS3 was mentioned in context that it represented the means for BR to win the format war.
I personally couldn't care less for either of them, I get all my movies in digital format without physical medium. I don't need standalone players, and if I did, I would opt for something like WDTV and plug a network cable in it or just an external HDD. Razz

edit: I either go to the theater or download movies from the internet, I have no desire to pay for that stuff, with the theater being an obvious exception Very Happy


I use the wd tv with wireless g atm (waiting for new gigabit router since old one died) and it streams even hd fine via wireless. If you pick one up you'll be happy with it.

Are you saying the file sizes and methods used for HD quality are a little over the top? I would tend to agree with you if you were making a small point here about that. I've got the whole season of shit my dad says and it's a 30 minute show. This means average scene SD qual or digital should be around 175-200mb. I have the 720p HD what it aired at which is about 500mb. There are people who go even bigger with file sizes over a gig or two. It really depends on the station and what it broadcasts at but many of the HD releases are wastes of space.


Some things are worth watching in HD, some things are not worth watching in VHS let alone FullHD 3D...It's a matter of personal choice and taste. But that aside, 1080p scene movie release is around 10GB (DTS sound, ~100mins) and when played using, for instance, madashi (MadVR) renderer setup correctly it looks astonishing. Much better than standalone BR player and 40GB BR version of the same thing (as far as I have seen)
I am saying BR is overrated since it doesn't offer anything special if you have internet access and are willing to "steal" movies from internet. It also makes you watch commercials, warnings and other shit.
That's my opinion anyway, you folks are welcome to disagree with it Razz

PS. You can download all 3D movies as well, you can even convert 2D movies to 3D movies (obviously this isn't the same as the "real deal" but then again, very few movies are actually shot in 3D, they mostly have been remastered and converted to 3D anyway)

PPS. I think 3D movies are overrated too. Waaay overrated...


Which player are you using with it? KM? I'll agree that the scene 1080p with dts are a configured player with an associated gpu (that doesn't suck) do look superb. The BR's are ok and will agree BR is over rated as is 3D.

I think the higher end lcd's now are 240? I still prefer plasma (my panny keeps going) and my newer 120 led lcd does fine for 340 bucks Smile. Keep the LCD's priced low which is the purpose of them imo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 2683

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use MPC-HC but with LAV filters and MadVR renderer. Also ffdoshow raw video renderer for deringing and I bitstream the sound to my Yammi AVR and from there to...well, whatever you want Smile in PC room to small JBL control setup with addition of a 12" 300W RMS JBL subwoofer. In other rooms, well, it depends, stuff comes and goes in my house so...

anyway, you can also download full BR rip with all the 40gigs of content if 1080p mkv is not enough, but I am yet to see any difference between the two from the same source.
BR might become useful (finally) with this new 2040p content (how retarded is that for anything smaller than 100" ?! ).

AS for display types, well, both LCD and plasma have some advantages and disadvantages over each other. I for one don't like plasma's flickering, buzzing and burning. Dunno about Panasonic but on LGs and samsungs it's the same thing, it's barely noticeable but it's there, and I saw some 4 or 5 of them. I really like the depth of black compared to an IPS LCDTV.
In 2 years both will be a thing of the past with amoled screens in every new TV and neither plasma or LCD can compete with that. 0.01ms response time, wide gammut, no angle dependency...They will be available this summer, if not before, but they are still very pricy. LG 55" is said to be ~8000$, I think it's 3D capable (without glasses) and is 2040p, but I am not sure. Too much scarce info on CES, it's a bit confusing :/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Posts: 2500
Location: The Dark Side of The Moon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:

PS. LCD screens have response time. I assume you know what that means. There is no LCD panel in the world that can fire up and shut down pixels at 600Hz. They can't even keep up with 60Hz at this time. You can force the signal to refresh them 1200000 times per second (120000Hz) but nothing is going to happen, they are still going to "fire up" as fast as they did on 60Hz. 600Hz is just a gimmick, an effect that is being processed by TV which basically averages the time between two frames in the signal and then adds more frames in between, thus giving you the "soap opera" series show effect. There are plugins for some video players (KMPlayer for example) that do the same thing and turn your screen into amazing 120Hz screen Razz (it makes videos into 60fps) although, you cannot use that plugin for 3D, or maybe you can, hm, I haven't tried it. Razz

PPS. You need to hear audio systems where only fronts cost ~5000$ and then be the judge of your amazing 7.1 sound for 2000$ Razz I think youwill find one more thing that you can shell your money into, and the difference will be bigger than 2d vs 3d movie Razz


Yes i know that LCD can't fire at 600Hz Wink , It's a plasma, newest model.
I watched the Sony (3000K) 3D LCD 55" with active glasses, it was 200Hz yet i could easily see the flicker.
The Panasonic uses 'film creation', which in effect produces a 'live' tv footage effect with broadcasts- quite incredible really. Has to be seen.
The LG i have is passive, yet comes with software that installs on PC and converts dozen,dozens of titles into the most incredible 3D i have seen in gaming! Nothing is needed other than the passive glasses that come with it. Games like Skyrim,Mass Effect 1,2. MTW 2, Silent Hunter, Fallout 3 etc look just mind blowing in 3D at 1080P. Best of all it's free Cool
http://www.lg.com/uk/it-products/monitors/LG-3d-monitor-DM2350D.jsp
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 2683

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously plazma is a different matter. I thought it was one of those XYZ refresh rate LCDs that use some movement recognition to try and make up frames in between bla bla
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 05 Mar 2010
Posts: 5576
Location: The bright side of the dark side

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little perspective.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZadCj8O1-0

You might want to post that on the web page.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 22 Jun 2010
Posts: 710

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsung plasmas seem fairly good from what I've seen. I've always had a panny plasma though. If the 120 led lcd wasn't 340 bucks I would have bought a cheaper panny plasma which are superb for the cost. 50-55" is about as big as I can go in my house due to remodeling and needing all the space for a large family. The other is a price point constraint where over 1500 bucks I can't justify any performance or visual increase to the cost. It's hard to save money if you keep writing checks or spend it on superfluous items. If I had one or two kids or none at all though I'm sure I would have more leeway :p.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2666 phpBB Group