| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
Tom Elite Member

Joined: 07 Jun 2004 Posts: 4299
|
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:32 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| i5 2500K. Still see no reason to overclock. Fastest ram I could get with Samsung SSD. Haven't invested anyhting really in upgrades. 6TB NAS also affordable. No need for compression or tweaking for games. Some people like to think they are getting more by overclocking. I see it as a waste of time. When I have to overclock I'll upgrade what's needed. Years without upgrades and no overclocking tells me I know what I'm doing. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Csimbi Elite Member

Joined: 05 Mar 2010 Posts: 5568 Location: The bright side of the dark side
|
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:42 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Tom wrote: | | i5 2500K. Still see no reason to overclock. Fastest ram I could get with Samsung SSD. Haven't invested anyhting really in upgrades. 6TB NAS also affordable. No need for compression or tweaking for games. Some people like to think they are getting more by overclocking. I see it as a waste of time. When I have to overclock I'll upgrade what's needed. Years without upgrades and no overclocking tells me I know what I'm doing. |
I don't overclock unless needed, either. Agree, not needed. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
gx-x Elite Member

Joined: 02 Jul 2007 Posts: 2677
|
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:43 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Csimbi wrote: | But who'd run it clock for clock?
You can overclock the 2600K to where the 4790K runs at stock.
The 2600K will be left behind when you overclock the 4790K.
Hence, the clock for clock comparisons are useless.
I also like that it uses less power. It pays for it in the long run. |
every normal tester when reviewing cpus will test clock for clock to determine architecture improvements over the previous generation.
Yes, 4790K is clocked higher by default and uses a tad less power (it will pay it self off in around 500 years ) but there are lower clocked i7's also. Overclocking 4790K will not go far. Lucky people get it to 4.9/5GHz with very good cooling, average is 4.6/7 GHz. You can reach that with 2600K with same voltage that you will reach it with 4790K.
Also, if you are not overclocking, why are you buying K series? There is no difference between K and non-K except unlocked multiplier on K that is meant for -overclocking. Zero difference, none, nada, zilch, waste of money. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Csimbi Elite Member

Joined: 05 Mar 2010 Posts: 5568 Location: The bright side of the dark side
|
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:16 pm Post subject: |
|
|
Not with the electricity prices we have here, lol
Why K-series? Because I want to be able to overclock when needed. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Tom Elite Member

Joined: 07 Jun 2004 Posts: 4299
|
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:21 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Csimbi wrote: | Not with the electricity prices we have here, lol
Why K-series? Because I want to be able to overclock when needed. |
It's never needed, that's just it. If you need a bit more, you need new hardware. I've never given it a thought. Just another topic people try and use to act/feel smart. Look at me I overclock. Who cares... |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
gx-x Elite Member

Joined: 02 Jul 2007 Posts: 2677
|
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:26 pm Post subject: |
|
|
you can get 400MHz more on non-K by bumping the Turbo multiplier by 5. That when "more" is needed and intel Turbo Boost kicks in, it will kick in at 400MHz higher. You can even lock it to always stay at that clock, but then there that electricity bill and whatnot  |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Csimbi Elite Member

Joined: 05 Mar 2010 Posts: 5568 Location: The bright side of the dark side
|
Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:02 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Tom wrote: | | Csimbi wrote: | Not with the electricity prices we have here, lol
Why K-series? Because I want to be able to overclock when needed. |
It's never needed, that's just it. If you need a bit more, you need new hardware. I've never given it a thought. Just another topic people try and use to act/feel smart. Look at me I overclock. Who cares... |
Dunno. It used to be lots of fun when we were younger - who can crank out more from the same metal.
Yeah. Nowadays it's not that much fun.
But still, fine-tuning an inefficient system is a good thing to do. All these high clock memories are just overclock-able versions of the same thing, tested and selected in the factory. Getting a better module is still worth it, due to the lower timings I described earlier. That's what my messages were about (and not overclocking). |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
gx-x Elite Member

Joined: 02 Jul 2007 Posts: 2677
|
Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:21 pm Post subject: |
|
|
when we were younger... Good reference.
I built custom water cooling from car radiator, aquarium pump converted it to work externally, WB machined on CNC in my friends garage etc.
I was overclocking Duron 600 to 1200mhz, yep that was fun. Nowadays, intels are boring unless you are looking at synthetic benchmark results because at around ~3.6GHz~4GHz i5 or i7 perform very similarly. You can even buy ball to the wallz overclocked AMD 5xxx CPU, same with intel 4790, it's already clocked to an average clock that people achieve at that stock voltage.
That's no fun.
Fun was, buying e8200 c2d and DFI motherboard and making 4GHz 24/7 stable OC out of the cheapest e8xxx wolfdale. Closest we have to that now is buying i5/7 2500/2600 and ruining it @4.5GHz 24/7 but it's almost pointless if you are not avid gamer, a person that spends 5 hrs a day gaming using 500+$ graphics card.
There is no point in running i5/i7 @ 4.5+ GHz if you are not using gtx 970 at least. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|
|
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum
|
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2666 phpBB Group
|
|