| View previous topic :: View next topic |
| Author |
Message |
Baconnaise Elite Member

Joined: 22 Jun 2010 Posts: 710
|
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:57 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| gx-x wrote: | you are going to spoil your kids with all those tablets and PC gear I know I would, that's why I don't make them, kids I mean.  |
True! They are already spoiled. I have a softmodded wii with a usb drive that they can access around sixty games or so at a whim. They all have a computer in the bedroom with a 21" or better lcd. I hooked up my two 28" hanns g 16:10 on mine so my wife got one of the 2405fpw monitors and the kids the other. I had a debranded HP 23" off woot.com on another one.
Roblox is played by all five of them almost daily. The youngest is three and he surprised me by actually knowing how to login to the game and loves the zombie modes. Roblox btw if some don't know is like minecraft only with more of a lego feel to it. They do have minecraft but prefer the roblox.
| Csimbi wrote: | Plus, you're electricity bill will be a bit higher  |
Electricity is always high for me being in Florida. The air is on quite a bit except in winter when the humidity drops to reasonable levels. This week though it's been around 40-50 degrees out so it's super cold for this area. I live down near the Everglades and have gators in canals among other things so anything under 70 degrees is cold for the region.
My bills will always be high though unless I become a hippy some how. Five kids the amount of trash we produce is astronomical even. I should invest in renewable batteries. I have sanyo eneloops and multiple chargers. Toys to remotes and wiimotes I go through so many batteries it's not even funny. Thank god for the eneloops though. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Baconnaise Elite Member

Joined: 22 Jun 2010 Posts: 710
|
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Csimbi wrote: | | Can that tables do better then 720p? |
My question on a tablet like that is can you even tell the difference if it was 720p or 1080p? I could understand the use of higher res textures you might see an improvement but that small the res seems to be less important. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Csimbi Elite Member

Joined: 05 Mar 2010 Posts: 5578 Location: The bright side of the dark side
|
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:03 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Baconnaise wrote: | | Five kids the amount of trash we produce is astronomical even. I should invest in renewable batteries. I have sanyo eneloops and multiple chargers. Toys to remotes and wiimotes I go through so many batteries it's not even funny. Thank god for the eneloops though. |
I have only two, but the battery consumption is pretty high (which is just bad for the environment). So, I invested in Energizer chargers and 2700mAh batteries. While I was in Europe, they were excellent. Now that I am in Canada, the seem to discharge very fast. There's something wrong with the chargers here.
| Quote: | | My question on a tablet like that is can you even tell the difference if it was 720p or 1080p? |
I have a Playbook (which is much smaller than this Fiona tablet) and I can tell that the difference between a 480p and a 720p video; I guess it would be the same on Fiona. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
gx-x Elite Member

Joined: 02 Jul 2007 Posts: 2683
|
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:17 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| 480p and 720p differ pretty much. 720p and 1080p not so much on smaller screens (I mean 30" and under it is visible but ok, 22" and under, from barely visible to not visible at all). That's my personal experience with VIDEO content. Games are different story because image tends to get blurry on PC when you change to non-native resolution. If game engine does upscale from 720p to 1080p then it's less blurry but still... |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Baconnaise Elite Member

Joined: 22 Jun 2010 Posts: 710
|
Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:11 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| gx-x wrote: | | 480p and 720p differ pretty much. 720p and 1080p not so much on smaller screens (I mean 30" and under it is visible but ok, 22" and under, from barely visible to not visible at all). That's my personal experience with VIDEO content. Games are different story because image tends to get blurry on PC when you change to non-native resolution. If game engine does upscale from 720p to 1080p then it's less blurry but still... |
That's true on the PC and native res. What would be a good standard on the tablets though? Most are 7 or 10 inches. 800x600 was what I saw quite a bit of on 7 inch for awhile. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
gx-x Elite Member

Joined: 02 Jul 2007 Posts: 2683
|
Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:12 pm Post subject: |
|
|
| Baconnaise wrote: | | gx-x wrote: | | 480p and 720p differ pretty much. 720p and 1080p not so much on smaller screens (I mean 30" and under it is visible but ok, 22" and under, from barely visible to not visible at all). That's my personal experience with VIDEO content. Games are different story because image tends to get blurry on PC when you change to non-native resolution. If game engine does upscale from 720p to 1080p then it's less blurry but still... |
That's true on the PC and native res. What would be a good standard on the tablets though? Most are 7 or 10 inches. 800x600 was what I saw quite a bit of on 7 inch for awhile. |
I don't really know. Good 480p should be fine, but then again, tablets are held pretty close to the user's eyes so, on any format, compression is more visible because of that. That would be my educated guess, I didn't really play video files on any tablet. Best I did was 480p YT, looked fine to me if video was a quality one. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Csimbi Elite Member

Joined: 05 Mar 2010 Posts: 5578 Location: The bright side of the dark side
|
Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:35 am Post subject: |
|
|
| Playbook is 1024*600, so the 480p vs 720p is obviously visible. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
gx-x Elite Member

Joined: 02 Jul 2007 Posts: 2683
|
Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:57 am Post subject: |
|
|
| Csimbi wrote: | | Playbook is 1024*600, so the 480p vs 720p is obviously visible. |
keep in mind that "televised" 480p (4:3) dvd will have all 480p which is not much less then 720p that is actually ~544p with the rest being black bars on top and bottom since all those movies are at most 16:9 aspect ratio.
Then again, like I said, if compression is done is done properly 480p 16:9 will be a bit more blurrier than 720p but only when you look at it up close. Look at it from one meter distance I think you won't notice much of a difference. I might be wrong thou.
PS. Playbook needs to downscale that 720p so other kind of anomalies might be visible. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
Csimbi Elite Member

Joined: 05 Mar 2010 Posts: 5578 Location: The bright side of the dark side
|
Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:45 am Post subject: |
|
|
| gx-x wrote: | | Csimbi wrote: | | Playbook is 1024*600, so the 480p vs 720p is obviously visible. |
keep in mind that "televised" 480p (4:3) dvd will have all 480p which is not much less then 720p that is actually ~544p with the rest being black bars on top and bottom since all those movies are at most 16:9 aspect ratio.
Then again, like I said, if compression is done is done properly 480p 16:9 will be a bit more blurrier than 720p but only when you look at it up close. Look at it from one meter distance I think you won't notice much of a difference. I might be wrong thou.
PS. Playbook needs to downscale that 720p so other kind of anomalies might be visible. |
I don't know; I can't create 720p videos to compare.
But, I saw some, and those are really good. |
|
| Back to top |
|
 |
|