Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Steam Reaches 5 Million Concurrent Users [32185]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Steam Reaches 5 Million Concurrent Users [32185] Reply with quote

Steam hit another major milestone today, logging over 5,000,000 concurrent users at once. Yeah... Steam is really a great service, if only they would settle that dispute with EA.

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
tride
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me, what dispute with EA ? And how come it's their fault about this. I read here and there such user opinions, lol!
The corporate idiot's at EA did this! They did it because they want more and more money out of nothing and because they needed to PUSH their useless Origin Steam "alternative"... Rolling Eyes
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the graphic. I'm not sure what the fuss was about. Valve is more or less a competitor to EA in many ways and it really doesn't make sense to support them. It's a shame many titles will be restricted but that's the way it is. The complaints about corporate greed in this case make absolutely no sense. EA wants to make money of course. Valve isn't doing it for free either. The only solution is time to see which platform dominates (Steam still so far).
tride
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you talking about ? EA only offers their games through Origin... ?!?!
Competitors in what way ? That Valve makes a game in every 3-4 years ? That they are publishers ?

Valve just provides the platform for distributing games... and EA dont use this to make money anymore, well... who cares!
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tride wrote:
What are you talking about ? EA only offers their games through Origin... ?!?!
Competitors in what way ? That Valve makes a game in every 3-4 years ? That they are publishers ?

Valve just provides the platform for distributing games... and EA dont use this to make money anymore, well... who cares!

Are you being obtuse on purpose? Valve publishes and distributes games. Valve controls Steam and does develop games.

Here's some information.

http://www.allgame.com/company.php?id=1592&tab=published

Is it hard to understand that EA might want full control over everything including distribution? I'm not going over every little scenario why EA would make this business decision.
tride
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, do you seriously dont get what i try to tell you ?
Valve publishes and distributes "some" games, as seen from the list you posted... lol, 5 titles in total and they are a big competitor to EA ? Are you serious ?
Steam is a platform for distribution of games, where dev's can sell very good their products. So EA doesnt use it and they loose from the bigges digital distribution platform on the web!
Still EA sells their games throught other digital distributors, web sites etc...
So, why would they wanna NOT make some more sells ? Because they dont wanna drop their prices on their products like Steam are doing!
Steam is taking control over your product so they can sell it better! ANd they do it right obviously!
When a game doesnt sell well, they drop prices, put it in combos etc... to make and booost sales! EA dont like this and they can shove it in their arses!
Simple as this it is!

Valve is not a big time developer and distributor of games. They just have a couple of titles that rock and thats it!
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why you're grasping at straws. This isn't a comparison of both companies and who does more or less. They are competitors and may show bias towards one another as is natural. It's like comparing GM and Daimler Chrysler or any other business. Valve's terms for distribution through Steam are naturally going to benefit themselves and not EA's interests.

Thanks for proving my case further though Smile.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve doesn't lower prices on games, it's done by the publishers of the game.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5mil? I gotta laugh, that's pretty nothing in the internet scale.
Try popular online services with 50mil or more users that actually consume bandwidth (not just exchange login info and validation checksums).
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
5mil? I gotta laugh, that's pretty nothing in the internet scale.
Try popular online services with 50mil or more users that actually consume bandwidth (not just exchange login info and validation checksums).

Five million concurrent users. It's not just login information as it syncs achievements among other useless things. Pretty sure Steam has over thirty million accounts. League of Legends has this as does/did WoW where they have millions of accounts. This is considered a large sum and no small feat.

I'm curious as to why you scoff at this? Do you have some examples you infer to use or know about? Hoping you aren't talking out of your arse.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baconnaise wrote:
Five million concurrent users.

I know.
Baconnaise wrote:

I'm curious as to why you scoff at this? Do you have some examples you infer to use or know about? Hoping you aren't talking out of your arse.

I happen to design services - which needs to scale rather well up to 100mil+. (Well, 20-30 percent of active users.) Hence my scoffing.
Steam thinks 5mil is an achievement? They are in baby shoes, trying to impress people who don't know better.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What services do you speak of?
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal communication services (messaging, calls, voicemail).
The "how to consume less bandwidth while providing the same level of service" game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: