Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Valve updates Steam hardware survey (March 06) [21183]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Valve updates Steam hardware survey (March 06) [21183] Reply with quote

VALVE Software has updated
its Steam Survey, and the results make for interesting reading for followers of the hardware market. The survey sampled nearly 478337 unique systems.

Recently we refreshed the Steam hardware survey to get a fresh look at what kind of hardware the community is currently running. In t

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fail to see why they even bother with these meaningless stats. HL2/Source is not a revolutionary engine. It's not the best engine out there, not even close. The graphics are, I would say, middle of the pack and the game overall is hugely over rated. When Valve starts going out of their way to give full out free access to a game, it's not because they are being charitable, it's because their game is going NOWHERE. Come on, face the facts, the only thing that HL2 is around for is Counter-Strike, without it, HL2 would be NOTHING. HL2 DM has an embarssingly small community, CTF and even DOD have zero community and then DM Pro mod.. And look at DM, people think they are skilled cuz they hop around and take advantage of it's bugs...DM, is nearly dead and anyone. Maybe if Valve shifted their focus and 'improved' DM there would be better results in community population, but Valve is just gotten way too stupid and they've neglected a good portion of their community and they all went elsewhere.

From a mapping perspective, you can't add all the eyecandy because it serious derails your FPS. I make maps for the DM community and I've helped making them for CS. CS yes, you can add quite a bit more eyecandy without FPS drops, but in DM any eye candy kills your FPS. Anyone can go play DM maps and then go play CS maps, your FPS will be exceedingly higher in CS. It's because Valve's support of DM has sucked since the beginning and they still see no priority in fixing it up. And now that they added in HDR to mapping it's F'd up Hammer all over the place with erronious errors in compile to serious lacking information on the net on how to fix the problems. Valve is it's own worst enemy and hearing news about HL 3.. makes me laugh. Cuz like Stumpus said, you just know little kiddies have such low expectations that they will embrace any junk outputted by Valve.

Ok, I'm done ranting about lame Valve..for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: