Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Make Skyrim look gorgeous! [33360]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure but it's a choice. GFX cards usually last me one year, then I sell them, add 50-80 euro and get the next gen one. No big deal. CPU is even more durable. I ran e8200 c2d oc'ed @ 4ghz for over 3 years. I payed ~140 eur for it. I sold it for 70 eur 3 years later lol, bough intel i3 for 100 eur. So it's not that bad if you put some thought into your rig. If you have to own everything best out there, or something like that, then sure, you are going to spend a lot but that goes for pretty much any hobby / habit...
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't you just say you had an i5? Now you are saying you have an i3? Huh?!

I am still running my quad core I bought years ago and got it for cheap. Still see no need to replace it.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom wrote:
Didn't you just say you had an i5? Now you are saying you have an i3? Huh?!

I am still running my quad core I bought years ago and got it for cheap. Still see no need to replace it.

I have i5 rig here besides mine. I built it for sale, it was ordered last week and customer is picking it up today. It's i5 2500K with evga gtx670 so naturally, I was messing around with it, testing some games and apps and so on Smile

as far as older intel quads go (e9400 for instance), they are still ok. I wouldn't change that for an i3 that's for sure even thou i3 is usually faster for gaming it is still slower for everything else.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok. My quad is nearly the same as the 2500 actually. I have 2 gaming rigs and my testing shows next to no difference between the two of them. Never seen my Q9400 break a sweat yet. Even my 560 GTX OC is more than fine for anything including Skyrim. I don't know the fps but I'd probably notice tearing and slowdowns, which I never had. BF3 I run full tilt at 1600x900 maxed out too, fluid as can be. Of course I have kick ass mushkin ram (16gb) too so that probably is helping.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom wrote:
Ah ok. My quad is nearly the same as the 2500 actually. I have 2 gaming rigs and my testing shows next to no difference between the two of them. Never seen my Q9400 break a sweat yet. Even my 560 GTX OC is more than fine for anything including Skyrim. I don't know the fps but I'd probably notice tearing and slowdowns, which I never had. BF3 I run full tilt at 1600x900 maxed out too, fluid as can be. Of course I have kick ass mushkin ram (16gb) too so that probably is helping.

I have i3 and gtx 560 (can oc it but no need really). amount of ram can help but 8GB is more than enough for games *since they are 99% 32bit coded and cant use more than 2GB of ram (max for applications in 32bit addressing space)), and 1333/1600 cas 7 cas 11 makes no difference trust me. It only shows in synthetic tests.
As for i5 vs c2q, load doesn't matter, architecture itself gives the fps boost (faster execution of instructions), take a look here for example: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/20
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got rid of my old intel quad extreme qx cpu that was a 3.2 quadcore. Sucker ran hot and was one of the first gen ones. I run an i5 since the beginning of the year (good deals couldn't pass up). Tom is spot on about not needing to upgrade really. I'm still using gtx 460/465 cards. They run all the games just fine at 1920x1200. My older cards 7800gtx 512mb and two 8800gtx cards all died. The 460 and 465 are still going strong with less heat and noise :p. I don't plan on getting a high end card again after experiencing the way gaming has been for the last few years. Mid range cards like the 460 or the 500 series on a good deal can be had in the 100-180 dollar range depending on circumstance. One of my ocz ssd sata 6 drives failed recently. It wasn't even a year old Sad. SSD's are cheaper now though which give me the biggest improvements.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSD does nothing for FPS thou, it also does nothing for storage capacity and still costs arm and a leg compared to HDD. weather my control panel or start menu opens in 0.5 seconds or 0.05 seconds is not an issue for me because I honestly don't even care, I don't have any speed issues with HDD, everything loads fast enough that it doesn't bother me. I honestly don't think I will be interested in SSD until it fully replaces HDD, in every aspect.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:

I have i3 and gtx 560 (can oc it but no need really). amount of ram can help but 8GB is more than enough for games *since they are 99% 32bit coded and cant use more than 2GB of ram (max for applications in 32bit addressing space)), and 1333/1600 cas 7 cas 11 makes no difference trust me. It only shows in synthetic tests.

gx-x not totally true about memory. Ever heard of Large Area Awareness (LAA). Allows them access up to 4GB. Games are using this more and more now such as Sims, Crysis 2, Civ 5. There is a utility you can get to enable this too.

gx-x wrote:
SSD does nothing for FPS thou, it also does nothing for storage capacity and still costs arm and a leg compared to HDD. weather my control panel or start menu opens in 0.5 seconds or 0.05 seconds is not an issue for me because I honestly don't even care, I don't have any speed issues with HDD, everything loads fast enough that it doesn't bother me. I honestly don't think I will be interested in SSD until it fully replaces HDD, in every aspect.

Not true. BF3 for example, maps load a hell of a lot faster. If you never even had one running, running games then how would you know? lol. I had another ssd temp and I specifically tested games and with them on SSD rather than a HDD, it was much faster. SSD's are coming down in price too. I plan to get a 240gb for just over $100. As for Windows, I can cold-boot windows to desktop (loading and tray complete) in ~ 20 seconds.

Last edited by Tom on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Thudo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@GX-X: you haven't then installed/used an SSD to understand how after 20years the HDD is BEYOND ANCIENT tech. As a boot and app/game drive it makes EVERYTHING run 10x faster than an HDD thus making a HUGE impact on the OS, Apps, and Games. Just the LOADING part is utterly massive. Its worth the $200-300 investment for a 128+Gb SSD.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thudo wrote:
@GX-X: you haven't then installed/used an SSD to understand how after 20years the HDD is BEYOND ANCIENT tech. As a boot and app/game drive it makes EVERYTHING run 10x faster than an HDD thus making a HUGE impact on the OS, Apps, and Games. Just the LOADING part is utterly massive. Its worth the $200-300 investment for a 128+Gb SSD.

Yep, he definitely doesn't know. SSD's are coming down in price pretty good though. I've got an OCZ AG3 and it #$@@@!@# rocks.
Thudo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 2008-09 man they were NOT too much an option (too expensive, low capacity, unreliable). Now they are REALLY becoming a fantastic option and make HDDs simply look like stone knives and bare skins. *HUGE* diff in everything you do on a PC and laptop. NO DEBATE!
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thudo wrote:

10x slower is fast enough for me, thanks Wink Loading maps is not frames per second Razz And like I said - I am not in a rush. Most of my friends have SSDs so I pretty much know all I need to know. I've built rigs with SSDs in them so I have first hand experience. the "wow" effect lasts few days then you forget that you even have SSD. And no offense but NOTHING except loading/saving runs faster with SSD Smile with 8+ GB of ram there is very little of both going on in the system so yea, I don't really need it and no one here is going to convince me otherwise. My closest friends failed at that, what chance do you guys have? Smile

Quote:

*HUGE* diff in everything you do on a PC and laptop. NO DEBATE!

Well, I guess I don't do that much on my PC. I load up Firefox once in 10 days and it stays open, like the rest of my apps. For work I load illustrator or photoshop, that takes few seconds and I'd rather buy 2TB of storage for 100$ then 120GB SSD to shave of a few seconds in loading once in a while.
Thudo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhmm except EVERYTHING everywhere loads faster thus drastically increasing the overall positive experience There is no debate.. the ONLY caveat you might have is Reliability but thats much better now these days. HDDs still hold the cost/GB crown and some reliability but thats melting away now.. Thank gawd.. HDDs represent decades old has-been tech and needs to move out like the floppies.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow factor is enough, 20 seconds to boot up windows fully functioning. No HDD can do that, not a chance. I'll never run my windows on a slow as shit HDD. Everything on that SSD flies. Eventually my key games will run on SSD too.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom wrote:
Wow factor is enough, 20 seconds to boot up windows fully functioning. No HDD can do that, not a chance. I'll never run my windows on a slow as shit HDD. Everything on that SSD flies. Eventually my key games will run on SSD too.

I beg to differ. I takes 18-19 seconds on mine, and yes, I get all desktop things, can start loading up browser etc. I takes ~30-40secs to load everything up, but I am at desktop in 18 sec. Smile It just takes managed windows with no bloatware and unnecessary apps. I have 39 processes after boot up, including processes from 3rd party firewall and AV.

Anyway, look at it like this - gtx690 is way way faster then gtx 560 but I am just fine with gtx560, really. Smile I don't have a need to utilize gtx690. I don't know how else can I put it for you guys. Besides, SSD is way to expensive to put games on it. And be real - how many games can you put on it? MAxPAyne 3 - 30GB, crysis 2 25GB and you are pretty much done with 120GB SSD since you have your OS and need to keep 20% of drive empty so it can retain performance. That's 20% of it's cost you are throwing away for nothing, and that would bother me pretty much.

PS. I don't restart my Seven unless I have to, and that is usually once a month if I don't fiddle with hardware.

PPS. Yes, I know how fast SSDs are, I never said that you guys are wrong, I just said that I don't need it, I don't want it even. I'll pick one up for myself when it's 100$ for 1TB, not before. I can't be bothered to migrate everything and change my organization of files and habits that I built over years. I keep my whole system system mirrored in case something should happen, that's how much I can't be bothered Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: