Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PC Requirements [38768]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PC Requirements [38768] Reply with quote

CD Projekt RED has just issued a press release, revealing the PC requirements for its highly anticipated RPG, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. According to the official specs, PC gamers will need at least 6GB of RAM, a DX11 GPU and 40GB of free HDD space.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PC Requirements:

Minimum System Requir

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with system requirements rising like this, soon developers will exhaust all available hardware, and customers.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, requirements like this made the PC business boom.
Too bad that nowadays the HW prices are through the roof and very few will be able to afford a decent PC.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
Well, requirements like this made the PC business boom.
Too bad that nowadays the HW prices are through the roof and very few will be able to afford a decent PC.

yea they did, especially when they made sense, now with min requirements being at i5 and some 200$ gpu, it's going to far. And I would like them to explain to me what difference can we expect with extra 2GB of RAM? lol
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Minimum System Requirements
CPU: Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz or AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
GPU: Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660 or AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
RAM: 6GB
DirectX: DirectX 11
HDD Space: 40 GB

Bought my Intel CPU Core i5-2500K about three years ago.
I think that 3 years old HW is acceptable as minimum spec.
6GB RAM? I have not seen a PC with less than 8 for a long time (except company laptops). Today's norm is 16Gs I think.
GTX 660? That's about two years old, right?

So what is non-realistic here?

CPU seems a bit high, but I guess they need 4 cores over 3Ghz.
I expect a lot of scripts, so that seems about right.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
Quote:
Minimum System Requirements
CPU: Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz or AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
GPU: Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660 or AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
RAM: 6GB
DirectX: DirectX 11
HDD Space: 40 GB

Bought my Intel CPU Core i5-2500K about three years ago.
I think that 3 years old HW is acceptable as minimum spec.
6GB RAM? I have not seen a PC with less than 8 for a long time (except company laptops). Today's norm is 16Gs I think.
GTX 660? That's about two years old, right?

So what is non-realistic here?

CPU seems a bit high, but I guess they need 4 cores over 3Ghz.
I expect a lot of scripts, so that seems about right.

Well, cpu in that range still costs the same as it used to cost when you bought it, ~200 euros (for minimum spec), gtx 660 is still ~150 euros (for minimum spec).

3 years ago I had (I think) core2duo @3.8GHz and 560Ti. Majority of people don't spend 500$ on upgrade each year. Most of my friends still run these kind of setups and play games just fine and they sure as hell won't shell out 500 euros to upgrade their PC because of 2-3 games.

as for ram, I am not complaining about it, I just wonder what are the benefits for the game if you have 8GB instead 6GB? 8 GB is not the standard. Most PCs come with 4GB, laptops even with 2GB of RAM.

what CD project considers minumum is a pretty decent mid range PC that can run almost all games on high/ultra settings. What they put in recommended is hardware that runs those same games in 4K resolutions or eyefinity etc.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess that they'll be using that extra RAM for caching.
amra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I preordered it, but these specs mean I will not only wait until the game is out, I will also wait until I upgraded my rig. :/

Did that two years ago by switching from P4 to a Q6600 with a GT 9800, but from beginning with 8GB RAM. For semi pro gamers and up 8GB are pretty normal I think. I have them because of VMware and the simple reason I love lots of RAM. Companywise 8 is the minimum per machine, times of less RAM are over. For home- / endusers with a stock machine from best buy 2 or 4 are fine, depending on the use, although I would never recommend a machine with less then 4 anymore.

I can play Skyrim on my current rig like a charm, so I expected Witcher to do the same, but... life's a bitch. Maybe in 2016 I upgrade again, until then I put it into my shelf.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amra wrote:
Yeah, I preordered it, but these specs mean I will not only wait until the game is out, I will also wait until I upgraded my rig. :/

Did that two years ago by switching from P4 to a Q6600 with a GT 9800, but from beginning with 8GB RAM. For semi pro gamers and up 8GB are pretty normal I think. I have them because of VMware and the simple reason I love lots of RAM. Companywise 8 is the minimum per machine, times of less RAM are over. For home- / endusers with a stock machine from best buy 2 or 4 are fine, depending on the use, although I would never recommend a machine with less then 4 anymore.

I can play Skyrim on my current rig like a charm, so I expected Witcher to do the same, but... life's a bitch. Maybe in 2016 I upgrade again, until then I put it into my shelf.

well, Q6600 was outdated ~6 years ago when c2d e8xxx with 3MB cache per core came out and outperformed it. Skyrim is no benchmark with it's Fallout 3 engine from 5 years ago, then again, the min requirments for witcher 3 can run crysis @ ultra and I doubt witcher will be that good looking.
CD Project is either trolling or overloading their previous engine.
amra

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 years? Man time goes by.
Compared to the PS3 I have 6 years left before I upgrade. ^^

Although I never played any of the Crysis games I can imagine the engine of Witcher is more demanding through the more complex environment (not physics but scripts). Its not a shooter, but with a monster count of all kind of processes, similiar to GTA imho, and surely a very high polygon count per object too.

From the point of fancy graphics the videos looked stunning, don't know if Crysis (1,2 or 3) beats that. But I'm clearly no one who can judge this. ;)

WTNO and now Witcher... I need to save money during 2015 to upgrade, then GTA V runs too. My wife will not be happy. :D
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amra wrote:
6 years? Man time goes by.
Compared to the PS3 I have 6 years left before I upgrade. ^^

Although I never played any of the Crysis games I can imagine the engine of Witcher is more demanding through the more complex environment (not physics but scripts). Its not a shooter, but with a monster count of all kind of processes, similiar to GTA imho, and surely a very high polygon count per object too.

From the point of fancy graphics the videos looked stunning, don't know if Crysis (1,2 or 3) beats that. But I'm clearly no one who can judge this. Wink

WTNO and now Witcher... I need to save money during 2015 to upgrade, then GTA V runs too. My wife will not be happy. Very Happy

Monster count in witcher is like the lowest monster count in any of the action RPG games. Diablo 3 has 100x more monsters and can run on your rig. I know games are not the same but talking about monster count and scripts, they are comparable.
amra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, maybe?

If a friend of mine gets me someday to get D3 at 10 bucks I can talk more about that, for now I'm too lazy to google about the engine, but blizzard did surely a good job.

But when it comes to complex algorithms I doubt hack'n'slash with small roleplay elements need the same cpu power.
Not sure how interactive a D3 level is with physics, assigned attributes, NPC ownerships, usage possibilities and so on, but enginewise you can save a lot of "overhead" and use these resources on the "real monter count", if you keep these things low.

Anyways it doesn't really matter. It is like that with different engines... maybe CD Project finalised the engine now and did not care about hardware.

Why should they? The AC titles selled well, and their engine had the same core since Prince of Persia from a simple point of view of mine.
Call of Duty? GTA? The Elder Scrolls, it is what it is with these reqs raising, but in some months a good gpu/cpu/ram/mainboard-combo will be much cheaper. Times is on my side. :)
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what complex elements have you seen in witcher games? Mobs have mindless AI scripts no more advanced than a ghoul in diablo 3. I played all the witcher games and enjoyed them much but AI is not really a big part of the experience. Every larger fight is scripted and there is literally no AI involved, and executing a script is far easier on CPU than having AI decide what to do. Skyrim has more scripts and AI going on than any Witcher game so far and it runs as good as the engine allows it to run. Then look at Sleeping Dogs, GTA etc, there is a living world controlled by scripts and AI and it runs just fine.

I don't know what they did, I guess we will soon see.

As for AC, their optimization was always shit. Last installment is just the worst offender. Thankfully, I don't like that game series at all. I do like The Witcher games for their story and flavor and I hope they haven't ruined that. The previous one was very very boring at the last level. It was like a totally different game, a game that I wouldn't play so I never finished it but that's fine, I am content with everything that led to that point.

PS. Blizzard did piss poor job with D3 engine. I think they just used SC2 engine for it and added a bunch of stuff on it.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@gx-x
Fully agree.
amra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very old post, but somehow clicked on it during browser cleanup... ^^

I clearly need to step back here, I never played one of the witcher nor Diablo games (two I tried, but it wasn't fun, I'm a Baldurs Gate guy).
From that point I really can't talk about their engines and what their level is. ;)

About AC I only read because Ubisoft with their shitty DRM isn't a buying option. Steam, enough, no Origin or other bullshit. GOG Galaxy will work.

So now with W3 out, did they do a better job? A worth final round?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: