Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Should you hold off on next gen? [36035]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Should you hold off on next gen? [36035] Reply with quote

Now that Watch Dogs has been delayed, Danny wonders if you should wait until next year to buy an Xbox One or a PlayStation 4.

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And also seriously forget about buying it for PC, which needs a 6-8 core hyper threading CPU. As much use as a chocolate fire guard....
At least the cost of the hyper threaded fire guard is the same price as a console and guaranteed to play hyper threaded titles.
Why the fuck would you buy Watchdogs on PC?? Most stupidest LONE hyper threaded PC tile (yeah we're all clambering for BF or AC4) who cares?
The first game that should come bundled with a hyper threaded CPU, FREE
No wonder it's delayed... Complete rebuild for CPU Embarassed
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of these games come bundled with your new card anyway.
Koogle
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead Rising 3 ... haha how to ruin a launch title Very Happy
th4t1guy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
needs a 6-8 core hyper threading CPU

Do you even know what hyper threading does? You should stop posting now.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

th4t1guy wrote:
Quote:
needs a 6-8 core hyper threading CPU

Do you even know what hyper threading does? You should stop posting now.

In games, you moron!
It was first touted back in 94 for IL-2. Today we have how many, exactly, hyperthreaded games, that utilise all threads?? CoH 2 was about the only optimised title out at the mo.... So along comes Watchdogs and throws 6-8 core hyperthreading at us like its the de facto standard!
Get real....
It's a money making deal with AMD CPUs hence my comment on FREE CPU with Watchdogs, game.
There's nothing out there utilising all threads and you just don't expect everyone with perfectly good quad core CPUs that equal, if not better 6-8 core hyper threaded CPU in standard multi-core gaming.
Sure higher res and some serious professional video work etc. But unless your on a mission to own games that specifically use hyperthreading, your stupid and rich!
By the time all games are fluid all thread, 6-8 core supported, your CPU is a hyped up superseded 'last year' has been..
Certainly doesn't warrant owning an expensive depreciating I7 CPU that is barely better than an I5 quad core in 99% of today's games and single monitor.
Sure hyperthreading will probably try again, but it's not worth an extra £200 over my current CPU.
This stinks like the SLI crap of the 90s and back around today. Bang for your buck, none of it provides returns for the outlay.
Remember, it's games, not pro work...
Rolling Eyes
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go again, set off the wUnderdog, great. He wont stop posting now, he still doesn't realize he's a retarded old man. It was touted in (oh let me check wikipedia so I can sound like I know what I'm talking about..) 94, ya 94 with IL-2. Hyper threading and games was and is a joke just like this wackjob Stumpus. The most recent crap title to use HT is like Arma 3 and guess what, it really doesn't work. Oh you might find threads where you got some noodle who has HT in their CPU swear by it but it's probably just another Stumpus fool who think he gets it. In most cases HT on with games will slow them down, especially if they don't support HT.

"Sure higher res and some serious professional video work etc." Stumpus.

You are clueless. Hyper Threading benefits business servers, sql databases access/data/exchange, coding, 'some' video encoding processes, compiling. As for gaming, there is not a game yet that has shown true performance gains from HT.

I know, because I've used HT configurations specifically for business whereas Stumpus talks from his ass. And to be honest, overall HT is nothing but marketing.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a fucking THICK piece of moose shit, Tom.
What,the,fuck do you THINK I have been fucking saying? You retarded fat steaming pile of shit!! Yes HT is fucking pointless in gaming.
I know what HT is used in, my point. Fuck all to do with gaming (so far) I don't need you to act like a 5 year old and explain it to me. Oleg Maddox was the man that enlightened us to HT back in 94 - fucking asshole, Wikipedia.... Dim shit.. Immature child. He had a fav deal with intel CPUs when the majority of gamers were using AMD CPUs. What a test tube you are...
Do you, can you, understand writing?? You fucking word blind fat fucking Canadian.
Honestly, Tom. Away back to school you old fucking 45 year old misfit....
How the fuck can you not understand what I've spent AGES fucking spelling out!

F.u.c.k.i.n.g hell, the worlds complete plank surfaces here......
HT and gaming is shit... But Tom has to respell what I've spent ages going over
Tom doesn't have a fucking clue, if you start going all technical. Jesus fuck. Beam me up, Scotty!
Is that place you work at, slightly toooooo remote? Cause it sure as he'll sounds it. CPU upgrade once a month type thing?

Tom comes on here to criticise me!? The waste of DNA posts to read it's own posts.

TROLL
th4t1guy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're the only person here talking about hyperthreading. Also, the main reason it was being pushed as much 10 years ago was to get people to write more software supporting multi-threading, because that's where the future was going. I don't know where you're getting 94 from? hyperthreading didn't arrived till 2002....maybe you SHOULD be checking wikipedia. Rolling Eyes

If you don't understand why multi-threading is a good thing, then you stay out of any discussion around anything even slightly technical.
Majnun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing relevant to add.

Just that if this is you guys posting sober, I should drunk/angry post more often.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

th4t1guy wrote:
You're the only person here talking about hyperthreading. Also, the main reason it was being pushed as much 10 years ago was to get people to write more software supporting multi-threading, because that's where the future was going. I don't know where you're getting 94 from? hyperthreading didn't arrived till 2002....maybe you SHOULD be checking wikipedia. Rolling Eyes

If you don't understand why multi-threading is a good thing, then you stay out of any discussion around anything even slightly technical.

Ha,ha. You blind? Tom is ranting anti-hyper threading. What is it with this place? People have selective eye sight Rolling Eyes
Yes,yes il-2 about 2001 Oleg Maddox was working with hyper threading back then.
No, hyper threading is an absolute waste of space! 99% of games don't support it and you say its good for gaming..... Man are you out the loop.
It'd a typical narcissistic opinion because you own one the world owns one....
th4t1guy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I see where the problem is here. You don't know the difference between multi-threading and hyper-threading.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multithreading is a pretty old concept, and it means running multiple threads over the number of available CPU cores(s). It became popular only lately with the appearance of multi-core processors for the general public; before that, it was a privilege of industrial computers. Each extra core means a big performance boost (especially on modern OSes - though you won't feel the difference after 4 cores unless you run a lot of heavy processes). The kernel, the device drivers, and applications can run more or less independently from each other (without jamming one particular CPU and hence slowing down other threads). Applications can be designed to support multiple threads, allowing them to utilize more cores and hence, run much faster.

Hyperthreading is a proprietary Intel technology, found in CPUs made after 2002 or so, making two virtual CPUs from one CPU core, allowing the OS to schedule two instructions, allowing the second instruction to be executed when the first thread is not using the executing resources. Hyperthreading is pretty inefficient as the scheduled instructions quite often are not executed, and hence, there's no real measurable advantage unless the application was specifically prepared with hyperthreading in mind. In fact, all that scheduling and re-scheduling in vain may introduce a tiny performance loss - which made this technology quite unpopular when people expecting a tiny gain saw a tiny drop instead (remember, no application was prepared for hyperthreading at the time). It's debatable whether the situation has changed today; applications using the Intel Performance Primitives (this is a proprietary library from Intel) will most likely enjoy the benefits of hyperthreading, while others probably won't.

Hope it helps.

Verification question (answer to yourself):
- do you think here's such a thing as 'multithreading' on AMD processors as well?
- do you think here's such a thing as 'hyperthreading' on AMD processors as well?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: