Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Doom 4 being rebuilt for next-gen, Rage 2 canceled [34935]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Doom 4 being rebuilt for next-gen, Rage 2 canceled [34935] Reply with quote

Kotaku has posted an interesting article about id Software's problems with Doom 4, citing multiple sources who say the game has gone through at least one reboot and is still nowhere near complete.

uot;It was a very long overdue reboot that was accompanied by internal team
management changes,uot; the source said

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rage 2, who cares but likely a good choice since the first one sucked big time. Doom 4, pretty close to the same comment.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
John Carmack got up in front of everyone and said something like, "Doom means two things: demons and shotguns."

How pathetic. He truly lost it...
djnforce9
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Good! Reply with quote

I am also glad they are pouring all their focus into producing a stellar next-gen Doom title. Doom 3 was cutting edge when it first came out so hopefully Doom 4 will match this.

I found Rage pretty boring and could never finish it because of this (despite numerous attempts) so I'm not at all upset that its sequel was canned (I would not have bought it anyway).
Apathy Curve
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid id is the classic example of a company which has become a victim of its own success. They lost their direction after Quake 3 and they've never really regained it. Spreadsheet brow-beatings from a corporate overseer are unlikely to solve that problem.

It's a shame, because my first thirty seconds of playing shareware Doom in 1993 are indelibly burned into my memory. It was a moment in time that completely changed my view of what was possible on a computer, and I've been playing with computers since my first Apple in 1980. I'll probably still remember that moment clearly when I'm an old man. Well, oldER man... =)

I would even argue that Doom revolutionized entertainment as a whole, not just computer gaming. From that perspective, id was one of the most influential companies in computing history, alongside Atari, Apple, and Microsoft.

Alas, that company no longer exists. Companies are about people, not names, and the people who made Doom happen have either moved on or lost their way. RIP id.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carmack needs to leave ID behind and do his own shit on his own terms. I want old school shooters back, damnit! I'm tired of this bullshit team crap or modern warfare. I'm anxious for ROTT, it looks like it's gonna be great fast fun. I'll be hooked to that for a good long while, until something else similar comes out.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's a shame, because my first thirty seconds of playing shareware Doom in 1993 are indelibly burned into my memory. It was a moment in time that completely changed my view of what was possible on a computer, and I've been playing with computers since my first Apple in 1980. I'll probably still remember that moment clearly when I'm an old man. Well, oldER man... =)

Doom just blew me away, along with wolfenstein shareware. I remember and still have my receipt for them when I bought them through the post (remember filling in the form?) of course everything was about shareware. Next on the, blew my brains out, moment. Was duke Nukem 3D shareware.
You were obviously 'rich' seeing as you played on a, Apple Wink Amiga was my lot -after pong on the Atari. Then moving onto a 386DX, then a pentium 75. Mind you, in the eighties I was never really in. Permanently playing sport and hitting Star Wars (all wire framed) and Space Invaders in either the arcade or cafe.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it was: Wolfenstein, Doom, Duke 3D, Quake.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumpus you are my hero! Too bad you are a console gamer first and a pc gamer second.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom wrote:
Stumpus you are my hero! Too bad you are a console gamer first and a pc gamer second.

I am neither, I am a gamer first. Whatever format floats my boat is paramount. My enjoyment is about games and how UN-controlling the hardware is. Or more to the point; how I can bend my gaming around my hardware and spread it about.
For instance I am replaying Dragon Age 1/2+ Awakenings and Mass Effect 3 on PC and thoroughly enjoying the Uncharted trilogy on PS3 (obviously can't play Uncharted on PC) I won't however own an XBox as the gold,silver and lack off your own HDD and many other factors inc the fact I hate gates for ruining windows gaming.
But after just building my umpteenth rig, I'm too long in the tooth to just say, the PC is number one. It ain't for me, apart from my hundreds of PC games in the old catalogue dept I keep and play Wink
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
For me it was: Wolfenstein, Doom, Duke 3D, Quake.

Agreed. Wolfenstein and Quake were big things for me personally in gaming. Younger gamers will have a few different titles but the effect isn't different on our lives.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually coded MechWarrior into Quake - sort of.
Replaced the quad-damage powerup with a "mech powerup" that summons a mech and puts you in the pilot's seat (with weapons - the homing missiles were awesome -, heat and ejection).
It was cool that I could do that in the 90s... Too bad that the CD got scratched; never recovered it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: