Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Only 5-7% of PC Gamers pay for their titles? [33555]
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubi tried online security with Settlers and Assassin's Creed. Remember how that worked out?

I buy all the games on GOG.com - without all the security crap you yearn for. Anything less than that, I play at the neighbor.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pirate every game that I'm interested in. If the game is any good (to me that is) then it gets purchased. My steam account is loaded down with indie bundles I don't play enough and titles like Anno 2070 (yea an ubi game which requires a launcher and special shit). The crap with Anno 2070 just brings the game down. I own all xpacs including rebellion for SoaSE. The game has no DRM but a serial for multiplayer.

DRM and issues resulting from DRM will hinder sales. I uninstalled dragonica from the kids comps and made them jump on the USA servers instead of EU since the client doesn't use a version of nguard (DRM anti hack). It caused nothing but problems. All the comps have malware bytes plus security essentials and firefox + no script/ad block. If something goes wrong it's usually our fault. The nguard and other software that is drm cause too many problems.

FYI I do usually pirate music to a degree. I own most of what I pirated though via actual vinyl, cassettes (wow still have these), and a huge CD collection via my teen years (300 or so late 80's early 90's I'm old). It saves the trouble of having to rip and convert all my crap if I can queue it up online these days.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baconnaise wrote:
FYI I do usually pirate music to a degree. I own most of what I pirated though via actual vinyl, cassettes (wow still have these), and a huge CD collection via my teen years (300 or so late 80's early 90's I'm old). It saves the trouble of having to rip and convert all my crap if I can queue it up online these days.

In EU, laws are sane. Once you bought it, it's not piracy to download and use a copy (same with book, music, games, apps, etc) - depending of course on the license agreement. Also, any information found on the internet is not piracy, neither; it's available for free. Piracy is when you use something that does not belong to you or make it available to others.
I.e.
- you download a game from the internet -> not piracy (!)
- you play a game (that you downloaded from the internet) without having purchased the right to do so -> piracy
- you upload a game to the internet (with or without playing it) that is not yours -> piracy
However, according to this, I would be big time pirate, too - playing all those games at the neighbour, so I guess it's not a 100% true.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually got a dmca notice recently after some of my e-books that I bought were on my web server. These were legit copies that I had in a folder with nothing linking so I could access it on my trip to my folks. Apparently they just scan whatever the hell they want and send auto dmca notices out. It's getting a little out of control imo. It used to be that ISP's would cut you off for port scanning in such a manner. I guess it's ok if a proxy agency does it.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a good case for a lawsuit.
Should teach them a lesson.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: