Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Make Skyrim look gorgeous! [33360]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thudo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I beg to differ. I takes 18-19 seconds on mine, and yes, I get all desktop things, can start loading up browser etc. I takes ~30-40secs to load everything up, but I am at desktop in 18 sec. Smile It just takes managed windows with no bloatware and unnecessary apps. I have 39 processes after boot up, including processes from 3rd party firewall and AV.
HDD or SSD? If the former, expect a fraction of time on SSD.

Quote:
Besides, SSD is way to expensive to put games on it. And be real - how many games can you put on it? MAxPAyne 3 - 30GB, crysis 2 25GB and you are pretty much done with 120GB SSD since you have your OS and need to keep 20% of drive empty so it can retain performance. That's 20% of it's cost you are throwing away for nothing, and that would bother me pretty much.
Well yeah the old argument. PC Games are fcuking bloat these days.. 30Gb games.. Gahhh!! Anyway, I put the games I really want speed with on a 256Gb drive.. 128Gb is ghey.. more an SSD has higher capacity, the faster it is.. Done! Anyway, SSD is farr more than gaming.. In the daily use of the PC its the boot/OS drive that needs to be the most nimble. That in itself will greatly make your PC use a far more positive experience in the long run.

Quote:
I can't be bothered to migrate everything and change my organization of files and habits that I built over years. I keep my whole system system mirrored in case something should happen, that's how much I can't be bothered
Need whole system refreshes every 4-5 years for me. Clean slate.. OSes become stale after a while with all the add/removing of crap on them so sometimes its better to just start with a fresh new canvas.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thudo wrote:
HDD or SSD? If the former, expect a fraction of time on SSD.

actually, SSD takes a little less time since OS booting is often waiting for things to get crunched in and out of RAM so SSD doesn't help as much there. Only after the desktop is loaded is when SSD is much faster then HDD for completing the rest of the boot. My best friend has almost the system as I do but he uses kingston 256GB SSD and I didn't notice his OS booting faster. Actually, nothing special, sure, things open faster but it's not like I need to wait 1 minute for something and would be done in a second with SSD. It's more like it needs 5 seconds with HDD and 1 sec on SSD. And that's the extrme case of, for instance, adobe illustrator loading. Firefox loads up in ~2 secs on HDD, instant on SSD, it's great, but I don't care really, like I said, I am in no rush Razz

Anyway, we went quite a bit of topic, my sole point was that SSD won't improve framerate in games and we were taking about that Smile
Thudo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- How long was the OS installed on the SSD? Kingston SSD? Pah.. that slow PoS? There are much faster SSDs which won't break the bank. Even the new Plextors SATA3s are quite nice. Very Happy
- You do realize that each second adds up to considerable lost productivity over time? One lost 1-6 seconds here and there quickly adds up to MANY LOST HOURS Wink
- Off-topic, yeah, but the media type used gets you into your games quicker and ESPECIALLY reduces the transition between loading scenes. Its total win-win. Whats the point of higher frames but being denied getting to and within the game quicker and more nimble?
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thudo wrote:
- How long was the OS installed on the SSD? Kingston SSD? Pah.. that slow PoS? There are much faster SSDs which won't break the bank. Even the new Plextors SATA3s are quite nice. Very Happy
- You do realize that each second adds up to considerable lost productivity over time? One lost 1-6 seconds here and there quickly adds up to MANY LOST HOURS Wink
- Off-topic, yeah, but the media type used gets you into your games quicker and ESPECIALLY reduces the transition between loading scenes. Its total win-win. Whats the point of higher frames but being denied getting to and within the game quicker and more nimble?

oh cmon now, srsly? Smile OS installed on SSD ? Time of install depends on the carrier of the installation doesn't it? Smile If you use microsofts DVD for installation, no SSD or raid is going to speed things up. If you use flash (usb pen drive or something) as install carrier you are going to be done in 12 mins on HDD and 10 mins on SSD (ditto).

Quote:

don't, please. I dring like 40 beers a week. You know how many hours of POTENTIAL productivity I loose? Can you gurantee me me that I wouldnt have a nervous brake down if i didnt do it?
please, skip this "IF LOOP" scenarios, thank you Smile When I load up my photoshop, it's all in RAM and I make at least 10$, SSD or no SSD. Wink
Thudo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
oh cmon now, srsly? Smile OS installed on SSD ? Time of install depends on the carrier of the installation doesn't it? Smile If you use microsofts DVD for installation, no SSD or raid is going to speed things up. If you use flash (usb pen drive or something) as install carrier you are going to be done in 12 mins on HDD and 10 mins on SSD (ditto).
Uhmm no I was talking about how LONG the OS existed on that drive in question.. not time of installs (not relevant). If the OS has existed on any kind of media and gets pummeled over the years then yeah it generally slows down the OS over time. A full refresh cleans out all the crap and it runs well (until more crap shows up).

Quote:
don't, please. I dring like 40 beers a week. You know how many hours of POTENTIAL productivity I loose? Can you gurantee me me that I wouldnt have a nervous brake down if i didnt do it?
Simple logic..

Quote:
please, skip this "IF LOOP" scenarios, thank you Smile When I load up my photoshop, it's all in RAM and I make at least 10$, SSD or no SSD.
Uhmm no.. I'm talking about first run NOT subsequent re-runs (cached in memory). Stuff has to access the SSD/HDD first then puts it in memory obviously.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thudo wrote:
Quote:
Uhmm no I was talking about how LONG the OS existed on that drive in question.. not time of installs (not relevant). If the OS has existed on any kind of media and gets pummeled over the years then yeah it generally slows down the OS over time. A full refresh cleans out all the crap and it runs well (until more crap shows up).

Quote:
Simple logic..

Quote:
please, skip this "IF LOOP" scenarios, thank you Smile When I load up my photoshop, it's all in RAM and I make at least 10$, SSD or no SSD.
Uhmm no.. I'm talking about first run NOT subsequent re-runs (cached in memory). Stuff has to access the SSD/HDD first then puts it in memory obviously.

so obviously I agree and I can go back to my drinking problem?
Thudo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely! I'll gladly join ya! Very Happy
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thudo wrote:
Absolutely! I'll gladly join ya! Very Happy

cheers! Very Happy
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had xp64 boot in the same or just fast as any ssd with w7 on it. Vanilla install with nothing else. Pretty sure I had two sata drives striped as boot though.

SSD's aren't as cheap for the space in comparison but they are much cheaper than they were a year or two ago and faster. You can pick one up depending on deals for anywhere between 30-60 dollars for a boot drive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: