Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

MIT Developing Glasses-Free 3-D TV [33258]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: MIT Developing Glasses-Free 3-D TV [33258] Reply with quote

MIT is developing glasses-free 3D technology that requires four stacked LCDs, two crossed polarizers and has a refresh rate of 360 times per second.

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point being?
We've got glasses free tv's and glasses free hand helds. The tv's are expensive and still in the infancy. This is suited for studio work and who wants a CRT thick holographic tv anyway? Gee whiz, I've got 120fps glasses and you can't see refresh or flicker, so the point of 360fps without glasses? Just silly land and not one moving image in the demo. Soon as you have to render moving objects, bang goes the 360fps....
Hey look, fraps on my pc in pause mode playing MP3 everything on= 300fps Rolling Eyes
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not really 360 fps, it's 3x120, or rather 3x120Hz projected at the same time and if they are in sync then it's just 120Hz anyway. Also, Hz =/= FPS. FPS on LCD is limited by pixel response time, not by refresh rate. Engraving 400km/h (or mp/h, doesnt matter) on my car's hud doesn't mean it can actually go that fast. None of your 120Hz LCD TVs can achieve actual 120fps. it's simple math really, you take pixel response time and divide by a second. So for instance if you have average GtG of 2ms (and remember, that is from light gray to black to light gray, no color) which is typical for TN panels WITH overdrive, thats basically 100ms/2ms = 50fps in GtG. Now, Blue to black to Blue usually takes ~15ms on modern panels , and not to mention other colors. GtG is best scenario. Oh yea, and most LCDTV's areVA or IPS which have even bigger latencies due to their pixel/subpixel structure.
ea, you can force 120fps on a 120Hz LCDTV but that aint gonna be 120fps. Take a CRT screen for reference and you will see a huge diference.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More headaches. Great.
3D did not really take off as expected, and this won't help the situation.
MIT would do well spending research budget on useful stuff, like during cancer.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
its not really 360 fps, it's 3x120, or rather 3x120Hz projected at the same time and if they are in sync then it's just 120Hz anyway. Also, Hz =/= FPS. FPS on LCD is limited by pixel response time, not by refresh rate. Engraving 400km/h (or mp/h, doesnt matter) on my car's hud doesn't mean it can actually go that fast. None of your 120Hz LCD TVs can achieve actual 120fps. it's simple math really, you take pixel response time and divide by a second. So for instance if you have average GtG of 2ms (and remember, that is from light gray to black to light gray, no color) which is typical for TN panels WITH overdrive, thats basically 100ms/2ms = 50fps in GtG. Now, Blue to black to Blue usually takes ~15ms on modern panels , and not to mention other colors. GtG is best scenario. Oh yea, and most LCDTV's areVA or IPS which have even bigger latencies due to their pixel/subpixel structure.
ea, you can force 120fps on a 120Hz LCDTV but that aint gonna be 120fps. Take a CRT screen for reference and you will see a huge diference.

which is why i have a Panasonic plasma 600Hz 3D and 120fps 3D glasses=guaranteed free of cross-talk,ghosting and flicker friggin' free!
LCD is $hit and artificial in contrast,deep blacks and THX certification-lack of.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And plasmas are fading out...
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:

I don't know why besides manufacturers they should be. They've had a consistently better picture and price for quite awhile. I was able to pick up a top of the line panny years ago with cable card support. Comcast fkin hates me. It's bullshit how they won't give you one of the two way cards in my area. Anyways I have a 120hz lcd that's led backlit and it's nice for the price (340). It's only a 42" and for the kids but does the job. The older panny plasma still reigns supreme on picture quality. Oh and it does a much better job with upscaling than a box or the lcd. No clue what panny did to make it rock so hard (lazy).
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it has something to do with keeping the prices low(er).
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:

And everyone's loss.
As baconnaise has said, own a panny and it's hard to move on or match what that baby can churn out. Realistic skin tones and quite mental deep blacks- watch a sci-Fi film or horror. Blade runner, alien or star trek, star wars etc lcds are just soo fake.
I have a 46" Sony (5yr old now) impressive and expensive it was too and I have a 3d 23" LG led lcd and a second generation bravia 32" and they just can't touch the fluid picture of the panny. This being the flagship range of panny's that are nearly as thin as an lcd.
People think that bright is clean and real? It's not.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno. My 60" Bravia reproduces blacks very well; I am happy with it.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panasonic Plasma sucks I hope you aren't saying those are good. And sorry to say but my LG Scarlett series kicks the shit out of Sony and Panasonic Plasma. Panasonic Plasma's were flawed to begin with. Everyone I know who owns one, the black is grey and the flesh tones suck. Oh and mines an LCD even though people see it and think it's LED. Everyone knows Sony is over priced shit. Dad's Bravia doesn't even touch mine and his cost like 3 times more than my TV. His new Samsung LED though, is pretty good but he paid like +2grand for it.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, right Tom....
2k for my bravia 5yrs ago. 2k for our Panasonic as of about 18months.
You think that every tv is the same? Regardless of one manufacturer, you pays your money and buy from a dealership. I've sat and viewed nearly a dozen tv's from top manufacturers, all ranging from 46" to 55" and ranged in price from 1,400 to 3,500. Each had good points but one thing they were all shit at was contrast, temp, lag and live picture creation, apart from the Panasonic 3D viera range. Don't give a flying fuck about cock size or how bright they are. Play pc or console games without one iota of lag, zero tearing just blistering smooth display-nothing that an lcd panel can even dream about!
Your talking shit Tom. When you can go out and buy and money is no object, then you can talk sense. I don't rate what people own, because I can buy what I want and at what price. But price means nothing if it doesn't tick all MY boxes.
End of story.
Btw, THX is only certified on specific sets, but then you should know that. Mainly plasma.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: