Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Windows 8 Will Decrease Patch Restarts [31939]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Windows 8 Will Decrease Patch Restarts [31939] Reply with quote

In a Building Windows 8 blog post, Farzana Rahman, group program manager of the Windows Update group, discussed how the top grievance with Windows Update is the frequency of restarts. Rahman and his team would like to completely rid Windows 8 of mandatory restarts after updates, but it\'s just not possible. What is pos

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Koogle
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in other news Windows 8 will increase methods of spying and data collection.

In Russia Windows 8 sells you.
jeremyofmany
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disabled Windows Updates.
They try scare-tactics to make unaware users think that their PC will magically & randomly become infested with trojans if updates are installed automatically.
If you implement proper security measures, an application will not hurt your OS.
Sandboxie, VirtualBox, many free programs available on the Wilders Security Forum.
I only install Service Packs.
Kompressor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have to restart my computer every month or whatever. BFD.

Like the iPhone was a paradigm-shift in cell phones, there needs to also be one in computers and/or operating systems, and Windows 8 ain't it.

With that said, does anyone know if Windows 8 is going to be the next Windows Me / Windows Vista?
Ozieo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's going to be a rebranded DOS 8.0, but instead of typing the keyboard you'll be typing the screen.
Majnun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since Windows 7 is actually ok (calm down, shut up it's no XP but it ain't bad), one would think that the next version or 2 will be utter shite.

Of course Bill is not in charge, he's off trying to save the world with poop and wind power or whatever and not raping idiot windows users. So...good question! I intend to pretend Windows 8 doesn't exist.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just disable automatic updates, do it once a month, and you're ok.
Anything you leave unchecked in this OS will came back and skull-f*** you in your sleep.

Majnun wrote:
I intend to pretend Windows 8 doesn't exist.

+1
Let it be a crippled mobile OS for those who need it. I don't.
tride
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyofmany wrote:
Well, the service pack contains all those updates that you skip installing ? So... lol...
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know back in the day people were complaining about XP being bloated and slow compared to Win2k? It's true. I had to sift through whines and long diatribes about how MS sucks and blah. I actually stayed on win2k until post sp1 for XP when it actually got better. Did the same thing with Vista and ignored it till win7.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I skipped nearly every second WinDOS release (tried all, but used only Win 3.11, Win98, XP, 7).
Upgrade only when you have a good reason.
For me, x64 was exactly that with 7, but I won't need another OS in the next 5-7 years for sure and even if I did, I would not take a cripple like 8 seems to be becoming.
jeremyofmany
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tride wrote:
jeremyofmany wrote:
Well, the service pack contains all those updates that you skip installing ? So... lol...

Tride, yes I am very well aware of that fact.
My point is that I leave my PC on as much as I can (24/7 usually). Even though it takes about 1 minute, I do not like to restart. Since I am not a Joe Blow who fears 0-day vulnerabilities, I wait for Service Packs and the single reboot that accompanies them instead of a monthly reboot.
I am not sure what you find funny, but ok.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
I skipped nearly every second WinDOS release (tried all, but used only Win 3.11, Win98, XP, 7).
Upgrade only when you have a good reason.
For me, x64 was exactly that with 7, but I won't need another OS in the next 5-7 years for sure and even if I did, I would not take a cripple like 8 seems to be becoming.

Yea this is primarily what I did. XP64 was so fast too shame driver support never really got there. It actually starts and shuts down faster than a tweaked win7 or vista install with a fresh original install.

I couldn't agree more about the direction of windows 8. It looks like it's trying to integrate windows mobile onto the desktop. I don't want a ton of widgets on my desktop and I better be able to use a classic desktop setting like in all previous.

What's so hard to understand? I have a no frills looking desktop because if I had eye candy I would never see it since when I'm on the computer I have other things open. It's a waste of my time to have a pretty desktop not to mention widgets all over the damn thing. I know what time it is I have a watch not to mention know the date. Weather? You kidding me? I go outside and have a gauge for outside my house to boot. It tells me windspeed and rainfall among other things. Facebook integration and social media? Hello I shake your hand or wave and say hi in person. I'm not socially awkward.

jeremyofmany wrote:
tride wrote:
jeremyofmany wrote:

Tride, yes I am very well aware of that fact.
My point is that I leave my PC on as much as I can (24/7 usually). Even though it takes about 1 minute, I do not like to restart. Since I am not a Joe Blow who fears 0-day vulnerabilities, I wait for Service Packs and the single reboot that accompanies them instead of a monthly reboot.
I am not sure what you find funny, but ok.

Honestly you don't even need to reboot once a month. The only time I need an update or reboot is for the .Net/MS C+ crap that's required for a ton of web apps I use. They just need to make sure we don't have to reboot for any flash/shockwave/silverlight java or .Net updates and we'll be golden. If you look in my programs and features most of the updates or installs there are for .Net and runtimes and they eat up most of the list.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baconnaise wrote:
Weather? You kidding me? I go outside and have a gauge for outside my house to boot. It tells me windspeed and rainfall among other things. Facebook integration and social media? Hello I shake your hand or wave and say hi in person. I'm not socially awkward.

I guess the next generation will be even less ignorant than the crApple junkies growing up today...
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
Baconnaise wrote:
Weather? You kidding me? I go outside and have a gauge for outside my house to boot. It tells me windspeed and rainfall among other things. Facebook integration and social media? Hello I shake your hand or wave and say hi in person. I'm not socially awkward.

I guess the next generation will be even less ignorant than the crApple junkies growing up today...

I get kind of offended by the term social media. It seems to mostly keep people apart than together. Facebook let's me get an update on high school former friends and people that I hardly talk to anymore. Yay for progress! If you weren't hanging out or speaking with these people on social media already then they aren't really friends anymore.

The Apple junkies and people like that I don't understand. Why are you being loyal to a brand like this? No reason for it imo.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to say more ignorant above.
Totally agree. There are a lot of people out there already (not only kids!) with social defects - unable to interact with one another.
Where does it lead?
Will it be branded as 'drug' because it impairs people?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: