Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Windows 8 slate vs. iPad iOS 5 (video) [31651]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Windows 8 slate vs. iPad iOS 5 (video) [31651] Reply with quote

What do you think? Do you like Windows 8 better than iOS5? What about Android Honeycomb?

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not like either but I do like my privacy so I will stick with my Playbook, thank you very much.
Either should be good enough for kids, teen, grannies and the like.
Koogle
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither tablet OS interests or impresses me what-so-ever, and its not that the sort of hardware couldn't.. its just that my entry point into using this hardware and tablet software would require a level of design sophistication and usability control over everything! That Apple and MS are just not capable of achieving, mainly because they know they don't have to do it for the majority of collectividiots who will lap this crap up without a single thought about market & data monopolies who want total insight and control over people.

lol@ twitter fad integration.
tride
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, thats a big fail for Apple here.
The way i see it Win8 for tablets is way better in everything, demonstrated in this video.
I dont use that kind of hardware, i find it pointless, but windows delivers here! Smile

Let's see how bad Win8 will be for PC Very Happy
Kompressor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why they excluded the Android OS.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kompressor wrote:
I wonder why they excluded the Android OS.

There is a reason for everything. In this case, it's a good one Wink
Apple's dead (dying anyway), MS is still struggling to enter the market (was never successful before), Playbook is capable but more focused on security (which, in my opinion is a good thing), so it's obvious would walk away as a winner from that round...
But: who cares? I love my Playbook, you love your iPhone, he loves his Android - its all about your personal preferences.
For me, it is important that my data is secure, plus, nobody is scraping it for who-knows-what reason.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playbook is not the only android based tablet. There's HTC flyer, HTC Evo and the latest (I think) HTC JetStream, then you have samsung Galaxy Tab...many more here: http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/12-best-android-tablets-in-the-world-905504

I don't know what do all that security certificates mean, security in what way? there are firewall apps and AV apps for android, that kind of security?

but agreed, android beats all other mobile OSes hands down, scalability, expandability, support, applications, open for modifications and upgrades to OS and user interface, even overcloking :d

Apple iOS is a standard product that you would expect from apple. "Everything" is pre-installed, if you miss something you have to pay for it (and hard), if you want to change something that you don't like - you can't and you probably aren't considering apple iPad in the first place.
As far as M$ win 8 based tablets go, I guess they will be a better choice if the price is right since on most of them you can remove win OS and install android XD
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
playbook is not the only android based tablet

Playbook is not Android-based. It's QNX.

By security I mean knowing my data safe. It includes hackers accessing your confidential info, MS/Google/whoever does not scape my data for targeted advertisements, etc.

Yes, you're right. There are people whose only concern is the price. See the HP tablet deal not so long ago.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
gx-x wrote:
playbook is not the only android based tablet

Playbook is not Android-based. It's QNX.

By security I mean knowing my data safe. It includes hackers accessing your confidential info, MS/Google/whoever does not scape my data for targeted advertisements, etc.

Yes, you're right. There are people whose only concern is the price. See the HP tablet deal not so long ago.

yes, in the meantime I have came to realize that I was wrong about playbook. It is 400$ because its only 7" and not android. No offense but that's just 400$ overpriced product for me. It is cool, I am not saying it isn't, but I want widgets, customizable interfaces, android apps in full, all of them etc. PlayBook just doesnt cut it.

as for security, I have firewalls, AV's etc. If hackers can hack android with that, then they can hack everything else I have so I don't really put much gray matter into it, it's pointless. If someone targets you - you'll get hacked even if you are on BeOS.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
No offense but that's just 400$ overpriced product for me.

None taken. I agree that it costs more than the others. But, I think the costs are justified (not well justified, just justified - imho, $300 would be the right price).
gx-x wrote:
..., but I want widgets, customizable interfaces, android apps in full, all of them etc. PlayBook just doesnt cut it.

It's nearly all there you know (or don't know?)...
gx-x wrote:
as for security, I have firewalls, AV's etc. If hackers can hack android with that, then they can hack everything else I have so I don't really put much gray matter into it, it's pointless. If someone targets you - you'll get hacked even if you are on BeOS.

Well, no other device was approved by the government so I think I will have to call BS on that.

Btw, I forgot. I fly a lot, so for me, it is also important that I can watch 720p HD video on the go - for 6-7 hours with one charge because that's the distance to EU (roughly).
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
gx-x wrote:
No offense but that's just 400$ overpriced product for me.

None taken. I agree that it costs more than the others. But, I think the costs are justified (not well justified, just justified - imho, $300 would be the right price).
gx-x wrote:
..., but I want widgets, customizable interfaces, android apps in full, all of them etc. PlayBook just doesnt cut it.

It's nearly all there you know (or don't know?)...
gx-x wrote:

Well, no other device was approved by the government so I think I will have to call BS on that.

Btw, I forgot. I fly a lot, so for me, it is also important that I can watch 720p HD video on the go - for 6-7 hours with one charge because that's the distance to EU (roughly).

Well, as for security, I meant 3rd party applications, not pre-installed ones. I guess playbook has them integrated, that's all. No biggie for me.

As for applications and customizations, I watched couple of demo videos for playbook, I am aware it can run some android applications through java VM but you can't run apps that hook themselves to android OS kernel level, you can't have android widgets on homescreen etc. so it's far from same and performance of apps through java VM ain't the same as on android it self. Two of my friends work with mobile phones and one of them explained me the difference between android tablets and blackberry OS. BB playbook is, as I said earlier, very good device, OS is decent, even better then iOS (by far in my opinion) but it's just not enough IMO, well, not enough for me. Take a look at samsung galaxy tab 10.1, granted they are not in the same category but honeycomb is just way better then BB OS and no android application launcher can make up for it.
If they find a way to hack BB playbook boot loader so I can install honeycomb and make all drivers work, I'll pick it in an instant, hell, I think the sales of that device would go through the roof Very Happy

edit: this:
http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_TF101/

costs roughly the same as BB PB and offers more. I think I am going to snatch that one Razz
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my kids all android tablets (china knockoffs). They are the simple via wm8650 chipset based ones and they run pretty damn good (sixty bucks hells yes). I've messed around on an ipad and win8 tab at work. The ipad is nice and works well for the most part but as was said you are pretty much locked with whatever it has or comes with. Hundreds of dollars and no choice in the matter? No thanks. Windows CE and Win8 tabs are pretty cool. I even dig the CE phones. My big complaint though is it doesn't seem as seamless or easy to get any type of app not to mention custom roms or kernels. Maybe I didn't look deep enough into the CE scene? It was easy for me to find some popular droid sites and get my hands dirty. I've tried kdroid/uberoid/singularity/vestinious/udroidx and a couple more but memory fails. Anyways I suppose that makes me lean more to droid in this case.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Android security you might want to read this.
These are the kind of problems you won't see on Playbook...
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
On Android security you might want to read this.
These are the kind of problems you won't see on Playbook...

so, someone can have all the information that I and many other people voluntarily leave on social netwrorks (i.e. facebook) and as an addition to that, they can see my running processes, my gps location (network operator can see that too) and some other useless junk? Wow.

I guess if you are a drug dealer or an undercover cop this can really be a problem. Or, you can just install one of many other android cooks that are not made or compiled by HTC and problem solved.

do you remember thousands of security holes that windows and internet explorer had (or still have)? Was it a disaster? No. Did majority of users suffer? No.
I am not saying it's pretty, I am just saying that "the problem" might not be a problem at all for most people. Wink
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to be a drug dealer to be concerned.
You can be a concerned father, too when they are tracking your kids' routes to plan a kidnapping.
You can be a concerned car owner, whose car is about to be stolen.
You can be a concerned car citizen, whose location is being recorded by someone else...
It is wrong on sooo many levels...

Yes, I do. Do you remember those worms that infected corporations bringing their workforce to their knees? All done using security vulnerabilities. If you are not concerned, it is your choice. You loose only your own data.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: