Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Linus Torvalds abandons Intel for AMD [50549]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Linus Torvalds abandons Intel for AMD [50549] Reply with quote

What just happened? Remember when AMDâ??s processors were the inferior option for those who couldnâ??t afford Intelâ??s products? How times have changed. Team red has seen a resurgence in its CPU division since the arrival of Ryzen, and now one of the companyâ??s famous users, â??father of Linuxâ?? Linus Torvalds, has

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time i owned an Athlon was the 64 FX, about 17 years ago. Still using my Intel I-5 3570K for 1920x1080 gaming (all i need it for) and it plays everything fine. Just Bought SnowRunner and can play that full detail with my EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6GB. Not bad for a, my system age, 8 year old rig.

I do Remember though ‘panicking’ when I bought the Athlon as it (they) didn’t have thermal shutdown support. Remember having my Asus software open on my taskbar with, ‘sophisticated’ audible alarm if the cpu exceeded my set temp. Laughing
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"playing all games in 1080p" is a strechable statement. I have a friend with intel core2quad 9500 and geforce 470, and he also plays everything fine in 1080p. He never taught he needed more than 20fps so it's all smooth to him even today.

Having had exactly 3570K and 1060 6gb combo, it's shit for 1080p, CPU is too weak, GPU is ok for medium/high or low medium if you dare to run something like The Division or Gears of war 5. This is of course not true if you are fine with 30-40fps on medium settings. But then you should just get an xbox one for $200.
Changing 3570K for 9400F and using 1060, performance was at least 30% better, meaning, it didn't stutter ever again anywhere, no weird FPS drops, and low/med went to med or med high, or just high.

Here's a proposition: go run Tom Clancy's Wildlands, 1080p vsync 60fps, high. Go around a bit, wait for a rain and stuff. All performance drops are due to 3570K being eaten by time.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I don’t and never will play the run of the mill crap like Gears or CoD. I play totally different simulations and games that can and do play over 60fps for me at Max resolutions.
It’s not just about CPUs and GPU. It’s also about quality other components, for a start I have an ASUS RoG Maximus V Gene mobo, and 16gb Kingston matched dual channel performance ram along with a seasonic bronze 620w modular and Samsung EVO 850 SSD. Then it’s Asus Oxnar DGX 5.1 sound card. No two systems are the same regardless of them having the same CPU or GPU in them, you should know that? Besides I build my own machines for 30 years Wink
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

none of that has anything to do with FPS, you should know that? Wink (regarding the sound card, mobo, psu and even SSD)

I don't know what newer games (2017 an up) you play that wouldn't at least benefit from having a better CPU, but they must be few and between.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the pile of crap accumulating around Intel lately, it is hardly surprising.
Good riddance.
heretic
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SABOT's wrote:
Last time i owned an Athlon was the 64 FX, about 17 years ago. Still using my Intel I-5 3570K for 1920x1080 gaming (all i need it for) and it plays everything fine. Just Bought SnowRunner and can play that full detail with my EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6GB. Not bad for a, my system age, 8 year old rig.

My setup is i5-9600k / 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 3GB OC. However, damn slow framerates pushed me to upgrade my old GTX 1060 3GB to MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X. I would like to play Detroit Become Human this weekend Cool
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
Considering the pile of crap accumulating around Intel lately, it is hardly surprising.
Good riddance.

the guy in the Techspot article is not the Linus from the video clip attached. It's about the Linus who turned a$$hole some years ago and did literally nothing for linux in past 10-15 years. His substitute for "desktop PC" is is a f***ing iPad mounted on the stand on his desk.
Yea, good riddance, anything worthwhile be it intel or amd is wasted on him.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
Csimbi wrote:
Good riddance.

the guy in the Techspot article is not the Linus from the video clip attached. It's about the Linus who turned a$$hole some years ago and did literally nothing for linux in past 10-15 years. His substitute for "desktop PC" is is a f***ing iPad mounted on the stand on his desk.
Yea, good riddance, anything worthwhile be it intel or amd is wasted on him.

+1 LOL, yup
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heretic wrote:
SABOT's wrote:

My setup is i5-9600k / 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 3GB OC. However, damn slow framerates pushed me to upgrade my old GTX 1060 3GB to MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X. I would like to play Detroit Become Human this weekend Cool

I don’t doubt that, but it’s a consumer driven world. We all want something better than the last thing you bought. For a start SnowRunner doesn’t run on my system at full settings, apparently. Except it DOES. It’s all bullshit. Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder and if I’m getting 60fps with the Witcher 3 and UBoat, SnowRunner nearly 100 in ETS2 and ATS in direct x 11. And nearly 1000 installed games, Who am I to complain. Sound does make a huge difference to performance. A dedicated APU is the difference between the CPU driving sounds utilising it to drive the game. Anyone who plays with onboard sound should know that the crashes in ETS2 and ATS. Since the FMOD was added is because your crap onboard can’t handle it anymore.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude I was getting 60fps in witcher 3 with 3570k and 780Ti, that bar is too low and that game is old AF.

and no, onboard sound isn't a CPU hog. ALthough if I ever used one it's just to send spdif to A/V receiver. I have Asus Xonar U5 for some time now but I never noticed any fps differences between it and onboard audio.

I am not saying that you are not happy with what you have, I am saying I wasn't, but I don't play the same games you do.

Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem < didn't work fine max details @1080p @60 fps on 3570K and 1060 6gb
Path of Exile with settings maxed out doesn't work @60fps with 1070Ti and 9400F @1080p
The division 2 maxed out @1080p doesn't work past 50fps with 3570K and 1060 6gb
Doom Eternal won't even hear about max settings unless you have 8gb VRAM
OUTRIDERS > no way it's going anywhere near max details @1080p and 60fps on old 4 core i5 and 1060 6gb.

but sure, You can play old witcher 3 from 2015, you could have played it @1080p and GF 970 @60fps back then...I am pretty sure Forza 3 and even 4 work just fine etc. It just depends, what and when you are going to play something.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My monitor is 1920x1080@60Hz so it’s pointless going above 100fps and I’m happy and your happy, which is all it’s about. Onboard sound is shit simple as that. It’s like comparing digital 192kb with vinyl and a full blown sound system. If you’ve never owned it and bought it as a teenager. Nothing is better than vinyl, not even *perfect* CD. So the same comparison goes for graphics cards and monitors. There’s no point chucking in a RTX2060 if all you do is play at 1920x1080.
Gaming is subjective end of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: