Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Who Killed PC Audio [42732]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Who Killed PC Audio [42732] Reply with quote

In the latest episode of PC World's The Full Nerd Gordon Ung interviews Ryan Schleiper from Creative Labs, and tackle the rather controversial topic of who killed PC Gaming audio, and what its future might look like. If you enjoy a walk down memory lane when it comes to old school PC tech, and would like a Creative emp

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not watch this (too long).
IMHO, the single greatest sound card was Gravis Ultrasound.
Who killed that? Microsoft and Creative.
To these guys, the customer never mattered. All these folks care about are IP and capitalizing on it.
So, congrats for killing innovation that matters!
heretic
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get to the topic at hand at 14:06
Craftos
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Csimbi 100%. I loved Gravis Ultrasound. I've had GUS and AMD Intervawe successor.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Sound Blaster Live 5.1, but then Creative killed it by not supporting it on new windows. Some third party made driver but creative sued them. Then I got Audigy, I loved it, until Creative killed it with not providing support for newer OS. Taught by example, no one (that I know of) created drivers supporting it on windows 7. Then, just by chance, I got Creative Extreme Music (not the cheap one, the top line one). That worked fine until windows 8 when, you guessed it, creative stopped supporting it. I was then done with that bullshit. I also owned one of the first, if not the first Creative soundblaster 16, for VLB slot Smile
So yea, I was loyal to a brand. Then I just bought Home Theater Receiver, hooked up digital out from PC to it and let the Receiver do the work. Never looked back. I did get Asus DG (by chance, free) now I have that hooked up to Receiver. My next upgrade will be a new Receiver, not a new sound card.
Interestingly, Asus DOES have windows 10 drivers for a card as old as Xonar DG. Probably because they use Cmedia chips and one driver basically supports all their cards.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure driver heaven hosted drivers for Live cards. I knew the guy making them, but not entirely sure W7. Still have my recon3d fatality I bought years ago. Way better than shifty onboard audio. I had a optical out to receiver but it was a hassle and waste of power. My creative 5.1 from like 7 years ago still work perfectly. LoL

As they say though it was ms and creative who killed audio on PC. Gravis was barely a competitor to Creative. I still have Adlib cards and original soundblaster cards. One still in the box as I won it in a contest and just never got around to sell it.

Edit: Guy who makes drivers, Rob. http://www.hardwareheaven.com/community/forums/pax-drivers.174/

PAX
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: