Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Can you see the difference between 60 and 30 fps? [34961]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Can you see the difference between 60 and 30 fps? [34961] Reply with quote

Here's a little test to check if you can see the
difference between 60 and 30fps when it relates to games. There are
three in game GIFs. Each image shows the same animation side by side
with one being near 60fps, the other being near 30fps. At the bottom of
the post is the answer to which was which. 

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m'kay, that's not so good of an example, here is, in my opinion, a better one:

http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

edit: if you missed the link on that page: http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

Last edited by gx-x on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
heretic
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:

yeah, it's much better example! Thank you Cool
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heretic wrote:
gx-x wrote:

yeah, it's much better example! Thank you Cool

anytime mate, check out that other link also!
wh173
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sorry but this comparison was awfull.

if you want to compare 60 against 24 fps download this video: (youtube limits videos to 30fps so you have to download it)

http://www.solidfiles.com/d/a369a/

source: http://mckack.tumblr.com/post/3535190601/60fps-vs-24fps

youll have to be blind not to notice the huge difference. gifs with black background on 50fps (not in sync with most 60hz monitors) are a terrible comparison.
Bert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the examples and questions in the original post:
1. Frame rate, other than having visually smooth graphics, has not been
overly important to me.
2. Usually playing mulitplayer games, frame rate by itself wasn't important. Connection lag and CPU/GPU issues negatively affecting frame rate are important.
3. To me there was a slight difference. 60/50 fps was marginally smoother than 30/25 fps. Visually, it appears as if the 60/50 had less "motion blur".
4. The 60/50 to me is better but the 30/25 was perfectly acceptable. Having a mid-range gaming system, the 60/50 was be great for single player
games. For multiplayer, theres many more issues effecting frame rate that
may or may not make important. Monitor/GPU refresh rates are related and
have impact on the visual representation too.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you can all see that this test is invalid.

Also, there's no difference in 30 vs 60 fps in slo-mo.
Start moving the camera around, or run in a shooter and you'll see the real difference.
All these synthetic comparison you posted are useless.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the links I gave give a pretty clear comparison between 15, 30 and 60fps. Anyone should be able to see the difference, unlike with the misleading comparison given in the news article (not heretics fault ofc)
psolord
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quoting myself from another forum, but the example is valid nontheless.

[QUOTE=psolord;34854717]I am using 7950 crossfire (as well as two other dual gpu systems) and I was always happy with their performance. I always use vsync when gaming though and set my games in such a way that I always have 60fps.

Since I am pretty new to the 7950 CFX, I have only seen stuttering in Tomb Raider, even with vsync enabled, but that went away when I enabled MSI Afterburner's framerate limiter. Played the game from start to finish and it was great. It only stuttered in very few occasions and I am thinking it was due to cpu limits.

The other game I have used crossfire so far, is Crysis 3.

To show the performance benefit of crossfire, I even made two videos of the scene in Only Human level, where Prophet rides the Vtol. I chose this scene because it's automated up to the point I recorded, so it would be the same for both recordings. Also there's a lot of camera panning, which is the worse motion for the viewer, if there's stuttering.

http://www.multiupload.nl/YVI0X9JDB0
Here's the video of the 7950 crossfire. This is how I play and this is what I see. 60fps vsynced. Actually it's better in real life because Crysis 3 is very cpu heavy and Fraps needs a lot of cpu as well, but still it's good enough.

http://www.multiupload.nl/ERD72MQUT3
This is the video of the single 7950 at the same settings. I only disabled vsync for this one, otherwise I would be getting a steady 30fps, thus artificially making my point even stronger on a difference that is already huge.

What people seem to forget, is that dual gpu solutions almost double the available gpu processing pool capabilities of the system and this coupled with vsync, gives a great end result for the user. I totally get that the beauty or not of vsync on or off, lies at the eye of the beholder, but personally I never enjoyed disabled vsync. On my Nvidia SLI system it was jerky as well (crossfire is more jerky but that's beyond the point-jerky is jerky). Single gpu with no vsync is jerkly/teary for my taste as well.

Normally I would be the first to jump on a single gpu solution that offers the performance of two gpus, but this comes with an increased cost. Now if the buyer can tolerate this cost, sure go for it. For example I'd never buy a Titan @1000€ in order to get 7950 CFX performance though which I can have for 600€ (plus 100€ in games bundle), but I would buy a 7950 GHz in order to get 570 sli performance, which I did.[/QUOTE]
psolord
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS note that in the above example one video is ~60fps while the second ~40fps, not 30fps which would be much worse, but you will still see the huge difference.
ironjim
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these tests doesn't do much. You can see the difference but that is not the most important thing about this. When you play a game and control it yourself you FEEL and see that the framerate is much higher. I love playing older games when I just bought a new computer. The games runs fast and feels mucher better.

I think the new games stress videocards too much. I rather have more FPS than having the game run at 60fps and drop under it in certain areas of the game. That happens even if you have the latest cpu and gpu.
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually sort of disappointed in where graphics are at the moment. Pretty sure things have sort of been slowed down or stunted due to consoles and lack of competition. Things look better than ten years ago yippee but they aren't really that much better. Hell I was watching Seaquest DSV on netflix the other day and the CGI isn't all that bad for early 90's work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: