Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Half-Life 2 [17395]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Half-Life 2 [17395] Reply with quote

Half-Life 2 is, of course, the sequel to the fantastically praised Half-life. Released, by the then largely unknown company Valve, back in 1998, Half-life was marked as a revolutionary achievement in first-person shooter design, and comfortably set ...read a full review

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
El_Coyote
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snd: 5/5 - great effects, music fits, well done voice-acting except the main hero don't speak, minor skipping problems

guess it's a matter of opinion, but the no-speaking is a concept that they carried over from Half-Life. I personally wouldnt pull the score down by that, because it works really well, and it would put gordon freeman ion a cage that's not nessecary.
Phreezer Burn
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:32 am    Post subject: CS Source and HL2 Reply with quote

Halflife 2 is the best game out of its kind. Doom had its revolutionary graphics engine but this game makes you fell more apart of the world with its physics and textures. I would like to know how come CS:Source physics are so screwed up, ie cant jump on barrels/boxes or move object seemlessly by picking them up like in HL2. HL2 lets you do all those things but were removed in source? Why so? When those problems are resolved source should mature to be just as great as its sibling but It will be a while untill it totally replaces the ever popular Counter Strike as gamer league backbone. Halflife 2 has so many great things about it, shame it can be beat rather fast on hard. I see alot of efort and detail went into this soon to be imortalized classic of gaming history.
th4t1guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's funny how this game gets praises for it's graphics when all the levels are so rectangular. All the levels in this game look like they were either rushed or made 3 years ago.
sikapossu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best fps game what is out now
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

th4t1guy wrote:
I think it's funny how this game gets praises for it's graphics when all the levels are so rectangular. All the levels in this game look like they were either rushed or made 3 years ago.

ROFL the best remark i have ever read in YEARS!! Laughing 'Rectangular'
Yep the sewers were rectangular, the coast road was as well...erm NOT either. where do you get that idea from???

The levels were made around 5years ago from the earliest part of the game -do you not know Half-Life's developement period? Besides why just mention Half-Life, why not go on about HALO,Max Payne,KOTOR,DOOM3 etc,etc,etc,etc........................in fact just about all games have levels built from boxouts -the only notable exceptions are Operation Flashpoint (full 12+K sized maps) and Morrowind again HUGE level.
"You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all the people all of the time..."
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best part of HL2 (for me) is the permutations that you can have with the gravity gun! I hope that this is expanded on in the <cough> expansion pack Laughing The physics engine is plain and simply the BEST out there -no contest.

The story is brilliant and has a 'V' type plot to it (anyone remember V?)

It's going to win everything, which considering the FALSE hype which was DOOM3 is a good thing, in a day when quality is soooo far away. Developers just churn out games for the masses with little thought other than arcade kicks.
Craftos
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singleplayer - best of all games (altough I think HL1 has better story and 'feel', especially escape scenario was more involving than this, quite typical, man with a mission).
Graphics - probably the best,
Sounds, voicing - best
Multiplayer - weak/poor/non existent. CS:S is only for fans of CS. Little number, small maps, 1 mode (TDM). Overall - quickly gets boring.
K0L4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: half-life 2 weapons Reply with quote

Well... about the graphics i'm amazed.... and hope for what they'll come up with next!
But about the weapons department i'm a bit disapointed... half-life 1 expansion pack opposing force had a much bigger variety of weapons and the best ones were of biological entites and such... which is rather my favorites...but the only one in this game is only a kind of ball that moans when you want to call the creatures.... i think they could have come up with something better.... I AM SURE OF IT.... maybe they where in a hurry to realease the game and all.... but still i am really satisfied with the game and the new graphics engine um CounterStrike : Source.... VERY GOOD WORK!!!
Gaz
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well HL2 for me was alot BORING
i know the valve wanted to show "Wow look we can make you use vehicles just like battlefield or other games, very cool hum?" i think the only thing nice was the use of the sand mobs over the enemy the resti had more fun playing Vamprei the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Venom1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good game, worth the time i've spent to Rolling Eyes
illusion_chaser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Excellent game Reply with quote

Dynamic gameplay, rich environment, great sound. Awesome physics.
Runs beautifully (unlike Doom 3) on my P4 2.26, 512 RDRAM 800, GF4 4600 Ti system. Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: