Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Why EMULATE PC Games?? [56956]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:20 pm    Post subject: Why EMULATE PC Games?? [56956] Reply with quote

An entire generation of games are unplayable unless you kept your old PCs. Isnâ??t there some emulator we can use to bring the early days of 3D graphics back to life? There is! Itâ??s called PCem.

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anus is full of shit as usual.
Little pig got some things right at least.
They seem to be clueless about setting up the memory correctly (intimate knowledge of HMA/UMB, XMS, EMS are key to getting most DOS games running - neither one of them seems to have a clue).
NakedFaerie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOSBOX.
Thats been around for YEARS.
And OS's have a compatibility option too so its built in now. Has been since Windows 7. Maybe before Win7?

I didn't watch it but DOSBOX and built in compatibility should do any game you throw at it.

It sounds like another clueless moron trying to get famous for stupid shit he knows nothing about.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOSBOX emulates a complete DOS environment - with generic hardware emulation in the background.
PCem emulates the PC hardware components - using OEM ROMs - so, PCem is much better for compatibility with any type of old software, not just games - you can install any old OS (Amiga, Windows, BEOS, OS/2, etc.) on these, not just one specific version of DOS.
That's the point these guys are trying to make.
NakedFaerie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
DOSBOX emulates a complete DOS environment - with generic hardware emulation in the background.
PCem emulates the PC hardware components - using OEM ROMs - so, PCem is much better for compatibility with any type of old software, not just games - you can install any old OS (Amiga, Windows, BEOS, OS/2, etc.) on these, not just one specific version of DOS.

Then what about the compatibility Windows has built in?
I can and do play some Windows 95 games perfectly fine.
Why is PCem even needed?
Its a windows game so play it in Windows. Just turn on compatibility and you'll be fine.

I've been using computers before PCs were even a thing (Commodore 64 era) and I've not heard of PCem till now. I have no need for it as everything I try does play. Even old DOS games still play.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see you run Amiga or OS/2 on Windows.
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NakedFaerie wrote:
Csimbi wrote:

Then what about the compatibility Windows has built in?
I can and do play some Windows 95 games perfectly fine.
Why is PCem even needed?
Its a windows game so play it in Windows. Just turn on compatibility and you'll be fine.

I've been using computers before PCs were even a thing (Commodore 64 era) and I've not heard of PCem till now. I have no need for it as everything I try does play. Even old DOS games still play.

You can't define processor/hardware emulation using Windows compatibility, so yes, whilst many old games will work, they might run with bugs, at the wrong speed, SFX/music might require a specific sound configuration, and you may have to use a graphics wrapper such as DXVK, WineD3D, dgVoodoo etc.

More often than not, PCem solves those issues because you're replicating an exact hardware and software setup from a specific era.

There's also another really good emulator called 86box https://86box.net/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: