Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Samsung 990 Pro vs Samsung 980 Pro SSD Comparison [56628]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Samsung 990 Pro vs Samsung 980 Pro SSD Comparison [56628] Reply with quote

Checking out the New SAMSUNG 990 Pro, how does it compare to 980 pro? :)

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not matter which is better because most people can't afford the new motherboards anyway.
The new 5.0 standard prescribes additional lanes (which you will want to better leverage M2 drives) and these lanes just do not fit anymore - they require additional layers on the motherboards, making them super-expensive.
Until their prices come down, they'll not be selling volumes.
And that will have a direct impact on M2 drive sales.
If you asked me, I would not even be trying to sell PCIE 5.0 board. It does not actually bring much real life benefits. I would be selling mobos with PCIE 4 for a far more reasonable price tag.

Back to the drive itself - it is surprisingly small in terms of storage size.
I expected to see 8/16/32TB models only.
Just 1 lousy TB?
lol
Very disappointing.
Where did all those years of innovation go?
One might start speculations that the SSD and HDD makers agreed to divide the market and not to compete with one another (which is illegal, of course).
If you remember, there were talks of 16TB SSDs a very long time ago but it never saw the light of day - and it is not clear why.
lorcro2000
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More importantly, we've long since reached the point where even an old SSD, to say nothing of any M.2 model can shovel data as quickly as your system can assimilate it. I needed a new boot drive because my old one is acting odd, so I picked up a nice WD Black 500 gig, it's not the latest and greatest but still quotes 5 gigabytes per second. Easily enough for any home application as a boot disk.

As for the preceding comment, who'd want to pay for an 8 TB of the latest gen? It would cost a fortune, to begin with, instead of the 70 bucks I paid for mine...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: