Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Multiple Firewall Products Bypass Vulnerability

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoanMercer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reality check... Reply with quote

Reality check: This is *hardly* a newsworthy "vulnerability".

The possibility of a trojan disabling your firewall by (SHOCK HORROR!) asking a personal firewall to let it connect out is by no means a new idea, and has been patently obvious since the first personal firewalls were released.

This "vulnerability" will probably affect almost *all* personal firewalls (i.e. firewall software running on the same system as it's protecting), and in practice, I suspect that there's probably not a massive amount that will be done to plug this fact for awhile yet; although sandboxing would help (prevent trojans from running or accessing any kind of resource).

Both of the solutions suggested will be of debatable use:

Add a password entry dialog? All an attacking application need do is spoof it - better yet, monitor the keyboard and all windows displayed, then capture the user's password the next time it's entered...

(Perhaps we'll see another "vulnerability" by Ferruh re password sniffers in the near future!)

Defaulting to rejecting connections by default? If attacking software can allow itself to connect out, it probably won't have too hard a time changing the default...

(Note: This post is not intended as a flame, but come *on* people!)
grantassassinW
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Reality check... Reply with quote

JoanMercer wrote:
Reality check: This is *hardly* a newsworthy "vulnerability".

The possibility of a trojan disabling your firewall by (SHOCK HORROR!) asking a personal firewall to let it connect out is by no means a new idea, and has been patently obvious since the first personal firewalls were released.

This "vulnerability" will probably affect almost *all* personal firewalls (i.e. firewall software running on the same system as it's protecting), and in practice, I buy essays cheap and find arguments that there's probably not a massive amount that will be done to plug this fact for awhile yet; although sandboxing would help (prevent trojans from running or accessing any kind of resource).

Both of the solutions suggested will be of debatable use:

Add a password entry dialog? All an attacking application need do is spoof it - better yet, monitor the keyboard and all windows displayed, then capture the user's password the next time it's entered...

(Perhaps we'll see another "vulnerability" by Ferruh re password sniffers in the near future!)

Defaulting to rejecting connections by default? If attacking software can allow itself to connect out, it probably won't have too hard a time changing the default...

(Note: This post is not intended as a flame, but come *on* people!)

Hello,

BugSec Group and Cynet integrated DNS Defender with the machine readable threat intelligence in 2015. Any updates since then or movements to avoid this? In September (2019) there was a security alert: Fortinet Firewall SSL VPN Vulnerability.
Roomania
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Wow Reply with quote

Good thing a found this topic, I always feared that If I'm going to buy essay in UK someone would hack me, thank you for sharing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> Security All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: