Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GPU Benchmarks [48571]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GPU Benchmarks [48571] Reply with quote

The performance benchmarks of NVIDIAĆ¢??s upcoming GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER graphics card have leaked out showing it almost on par with the $3000 US Titan V. The RTX 2080 SUPER, featuring the Turing GPU architecture, will be launching next week for $699 US while delivering better graphics performance than its non-SUPER pr

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very underwhelming performance.
I guess greed gave birth to this card.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
Very underwhelming performance.
I guess greed gave birth to this card.

What do you mean? It's buffed 2080, for similar price? What's the downside in your mind? (except for the prices of 2xxx in general)
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking this card should have been much stronger for a similar price.
Why?
When NVidia conceived the Super series when they thought AMD would bring a very competitive product to the market.
The AMD flagship product turned out to be weaker than expected.
In turn, I am guessing, NVidia tuned down the cards (that they originally planned to release) to protect their own interests.
I am fed up with such corporate greed lately. Our world be much farther ahead if the first priority was not showing growth and cash flow.
They are already rich, they made it. Why can't they let the people have the best there is at reasonable prices?
Leaves me sour every time I think about it.
Paints a sad picture for our children's future.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...But 2060S trumps 2070, has as wide mem. bus as the big brothers and after that, mem. bus stays the same because they don't have a wider one for that series, so 2070S is not that as a big step up as 2060S, still it manages to catch up to 2080 easy.
2080S is the worst of the lot because they obviously don't want it to reach 2080TI speeds (that card has a lot faster memory).
Also, overclocking headroom on 2060S and 2070S is very small.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. So what does that tell you?
They've been skimming the manufacturing line, withholding chips they hand-picked from the start - my guess is, for targeting high-end users in the future, like crypto miners.
Chips that can run with higher core count on higher speeds.
Does not sound like innovation, does it?
Not so long ago these 'better chips' used to be released into the market so if you got lucky, you got one.
Now, nobody gets these better chips unless you actually pay the premium price: there is no room for overclocking anymore because if a chip performs better, it will be sold as part of a higher class card with a premium price tag.
No more getting lucky.
They maximize profit, rather than making at least some users very happy.

Think about it, the process is:
- mass-manufacture chips based on a single design (they don't set up different manufacturing lines for each chip),
- test chips and put them into performance buckets based on how they perform (depends on what broke in them during manufacturing)
- disable features broken chips can't support to ensure nobody can even try to run those.
- Make appropriate class of cards from each of these buckets.
- Rinse and repeat.

So, anyone that owns anything less than a 980, 1080, 2080, etc. are owners of broken chips.
Now, even if you own a 20x0, you get a broken one because anyway because you did not pay for the 'S' type of chip.
How does that make you feel?
It's all about squeezing more and more cash out of the random selection produced by the unpredictable manufacturing process.
Thing is, noone should not have to pay premium for the best chips - they are the intended design, not the lucky few. And people should pay far less for all of the broken ones.

Anyway, AMD did not deliver, so why bother with building a superior product? Let's just sell these guys the chips we kept for the miners (or whoever) and be done with it.
Very cost-efficient, yes. But, again, users are left in the dust.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well yes, they are greedy, I know that, it's been like that for a long time. You have binned cpu/gpu's for ages. For example of the top of my had, ryzen or intel with 4 cores is nothing but a failed 6 core chip or even locked 6 core chip. AMD even made a whole FX series that were clocked at 5GHz, those were all binned chips. Nothing new. Same goes for GPUs. Everyone does it.

BUT, for S series, nVidia used different chips. It's not just binned chips. They have more of everything, with 2080S having less of everything added than the other S series.
Did they use failed 2070 chip to make 2060S? I don't know. Did they use 2080ti failed to make any of the lower segment chips? Probably?! ...

you decide. But like I said, S series in not overclocked binned chips.

PS. I am pretty sure my i5 9400F is a failed 9400 or 9600 or w/e...But I don't care lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: