Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Tales of an aging gamer: Why don't I pick [47256]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Tales of an aging gamer: Why don't I pick [47256] Reply with quote

This article on why people game less as they age is a decent read, even if some of the explanations are obvious (less time etc). Here's an excerpt:

Despite a wider variety than ever before, video games donâ??t have the same effect on me as they used to. That might not sound like a problem to some of you, but it is t

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that's true for the most part - at least, I feel somewhat similar.
What worries me is this:

Quote:
The exact same thing likely happens when it comes to music, literature, TV, and film as well, but this doesn’t mean we have to stop listening or watching, right? We just get older and change—or, perhaps how I would’ve once phrased it, we level up.

I get bored with music and movies really quick these days.
I used to watch some movies over and over again, listen to the same music a lot.
Now? It feels like "I know it all" - after 10-20 minutes you see the similarities to the games/movies/music you saw/heard before and you can predict the outcome with very high accuracy.
And that's really the problem because most games, music and movies rarely bring something refreshing and thus, feel like a real bore on day 1...
KuBr0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its just like with an old whore - it takes a bit more to get her really excited and going ... it all comes down to what you prefer as your psycho-hygiene and what you pick as relaxation. The majority of ppl in our countries (Czech & Slovak republic) get home after 5PM, prepare & eat dinner till 7, then watch the news and then some silly local production wack comedy sitcom and go to bed. I prefer to rather sit behind my rig and play a good game for a few hours, be it a turn based 120MB strategy like Into the Breach now in the winter or a more story-driven game like the Witcher 3 earlier this year. There is plenty to pick from and is just about the choice when it comes to being entertained - just laying back with your family chatting, watching a good movie or - digital entertainment of all kinds - games, videos, reading stories etc. Don't expect stuff to get you the same thrill when you're almost 40 (like me) that LEGO used to give you when you were 8 or 10 (all the excitement over a few plastic bricks in a box, right?).
heretic
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, article made me feel old. I am 49 and have been gaming since the Atari 800 era of games, however my really first electronic game was "landing on the moon " which I coded on my calculator Casio FX3600P Smile

FYI Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbIOTQ5yVIY

Gaming is now harder for everybody because there are just too many options. Its paralysis analysis. As a kid, I had to wait for a birthday or christmas for a new game and that would be my game for the year. Now I have thousands of options, and I will not just play a game because its the only one I have. So it becomes tougher and tougher to figure out which games I will like. The same with books, music, movies, TV sitcoms. No mention there's VR and other really interesting toys/gadgets.

Besides I think there’s a trend switching between older gamers and newer ones about what we want out of games. I think that most people my age are generally looking for wish fulfillment out of games. Stuff like how RDR2 makes me feel like a cowboy, or how Obra Dinn makes me feel like a detective. I think the newer generation is looking for competiveness. Remember 10 or so years ago we were trying to get gaming to be considered a "true art"? I think now we’re hearing more people wish that gaming was considered a "true sport". One good thing, is that even though I’m older, I still see gaming companies at least making games for my age range and interest. Which is very good Smile
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I been gaming since the days of Pong. I can even remember the day we played Pong..it was amazingly fun.

My hands are shot from mouse clicking and gaming consoles and work. My eyes are shot too, more powerful glasses... game text in a lot of games is way too small and I can't play FPS anymore because my reflexes are shot and my interest is gone due to continual over-dose of the same game in a different skin every year. If my interest has dwindled in games, it's not cuz my body has aged or anything, it's because gaming these days is just boring. It's all repeat crap and buggy games and then PRICES. In my youth I bought anything popular. In my old age, I only by a couple games a year and only because I've read community sites and peoples honest opinions.. no longer a sucker for any game review site. I can watch game vids and read peoples comments and get the real deal. And actually in a lot of cases, I can predict nearly flawlessly whether a game will succeed or die.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: