Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Windows 10 October 2018 Update now available [46616]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Windows 10 October 2018 Update now available [46616] Reply with quote

ent app.

There's a new clipboard history that syncs with the cloud, and it works across devices. This feature is also being added to SwiftKey on iOS and Android. SwiftKey also comes to the Windows 10 onscreen keyboard with this update. Another big change is dark theme in the File Explorer. It reflects the system set

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQqwG_rQx7A

Very Happy
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah nothing in this small update that I really care about but at least it's getting true attention/support unlike the former OS's. I don't know anyone who's a true gamer running anything less than Win10.

gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you get to have black background themed explorer, what more can someone want?! Very Happy
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
you get to have black background themed explorer, what more can someone want?! Very Happy

nothing really because it's already a great OS and I don't nor ever had an issue since the day I installed it.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word of warning before you try the update:
https://www.petri.com/windows-10-october-update-is-deleting-content-users-beware

Run that app below and report back, please, would you?
https://www.zdnet.com/pictures/what-to-expect-from-windows-10-october-2018-update/14/
What does basic and full contain?
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, I never use default windows defined folders. So documents, pictures, videos, etc are all empty.
Second thing - I block all telemetry except the ones for updates and defender.
so, really, I can't help you with your request Csimbi.

Also, I still don't have the update offered, I might be in one of those "manually update" situations Razz
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No missing files here, but then again most of my user related data are symbolic links, stored on a different hard disk. Weirdly though, it DID free up about 5-10 GB but I have no idea where that originated from. I cannot see anything missing and everything is fine.

I love Win10 but it's always tedious after an update. I had to do all the standard bullshit, remove Windows.old, run Disk Cleanup, CCleaner, TCP Optimizer, O&O ShutUp to disable all the fucking telemetry AGAIN because Microsoft assumes I want my data to be shared like a slut.

Need to check my group policies too because I wouldn't be surprised if something has changed there.

The dark mode with Explorer is sexy, so I'm relatively happy.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
A word of warning before you try the update:
https://www.petri.com/windows-10-october-update-is-deleting-content-users-beware

Run that app below and report back, please, would you?
https://www.zdnet.com/pictures/what-to-expect-from-windows-10-october-2018-update/14/
What does basic and full contain?

First one. More than likely user error, stupidity.

2nd one, the tool is/was available for a while they just added ability to see what's actually being sent. Guess what, it's nothing but generic info.

Next...
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devilhood wrote:
No missing files here, but then again most of my user related data are symbolic links, stored on a different hard disk. Weirdly though, it DID free up about 5-10 GB but I have no idea where that originated from. I cannot see anything missing and everything is fine.

I love Win10 but it's always tedious after an update. I had to do all the standard bullshit, remove Windows.old, run Disk Cleanup, CCleaner, TCP Optimizer, O&O ShutUp to disable all the fucking telemetry AGAIN because Microsoft assumes I want my data to be shared like a slut.

Need to check my group policies too because I wouldn't be surprised if something has changed there.

Likely cleaned up old unneeded restore files/settings or did a disk cleanup. Nothing should be missing.

I never have a problem after updates, my system boots in 12 seconds flat and nothing at all lags outside of browsing local SAN drives. Windows.old is important stuff and pretty dumb to remove, imo. If you're that desperate for space get a bigger drive and/or SSD. You will have no chance of Rollback if anything should happen. And like Windows before it, yes, keeping it clean like you do is normal. All OS's collect telemetry and in all cases except maybe Android can disabled. It's just another anti-windows weak complaint.

dark mode is very nice. Cool
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom wrote:
devilhood wrote:

Likely cleaned up old unneeded restore files/settings or did a disk cleanup. Nothing should be missing.

I never have a problem after updates, my system boots in 12 seconds flat and nothing at all lags outside of browsing local SAN drives. Windows.old is important stuff and pretty dumb to remove, imo. If you're that desperate for space get a bigger drive and/or SSD. You will have no chance of Rollback if anything should happen. And like Windows before it, yes, keeping it clean like you do is normal. All OS's collect telemetry and in all cases except maybe Android can disabled. It's just another anti-windows weak complaint.

dark mode is very nice. Cool

True, Windows.old can be very useful. Thankfully I've never needed to rollback, and I'd only foresee a rollback if the update didn't finish properly for whatever reason, or if Microsoft rolled out an update that broke all of my apps. If they did that, however, I'd already see some kind of warning pop up on social media saying: "DO NOT INSTALL THIS POS UPDATE, M$ HAVE LOST THEIR WAY" Laughing All good, anyways. No actual bugs so far... Maybe some UI quirks. The volume control pop-up looks smaller, is that just me?

My gripe, albeit minor, isn't actually with the collection of Telemetry, but more the fact that every update "resets" my personal settings which deny M$ that Telemetry. I do not believe an update should reset personal settings, because in a way, it's a naive and patronising. Honestly, such settings should be entirely linked to a Microsoft Account, not the OS itself, so if you log in the settings are sync'd and not overwritten by any defaults.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just use this app for telemetry
DisableWinTracking
you will manually check/uncheck a few boxes representing group types of telemetry and you are done in a minute. Never bother manually doing it again. That is basically the best app I could find for doing this simply, fast and safely. I have tried 4-5 apps before this.
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
just use this app for telemetry
DisableWinTracking
you will manually check/uncheck a few boxes representing group types of telemetry and you are done in a minute. Never bother manually doing it again. That is basically the best app I could find for doing this simply, fast and safely. I have tried 4-5 apps before this.

Thx for the recommendation. It's decent! Has the basic functionality it needs. I do wish that O&O ShutUp could run every reboot though - silently. I love that software.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
O&O ShutUp
Catchy name Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: