Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

The evolution of video games [36728]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: The evolution of video games [36728] Reply with quote

Let's Discuss :-)

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
psolord
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol couldn't be more true.

Laughing
NakedFaerie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXACTLY!
I've been saying this for the last few, many years and get flamed and harassed and abused for it.

Back on the day of Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, those days was the best.
I remember I think it was Quake 2. They made the game, they joined in online and about 6 months later they said it was so awesome and people loved it so they made a DLC. Then a year later they said it was still going awesome so they made a 2nd DLC.
None of this make the DLC alongside the full game and cut it up so you are forced to pay a high price for the game then pay even more for the DLC which is needed to complete the story and understand what is going on.

And remember a few years back (About 5) when we said the prices of games are too high (I'll say it in AUS dollars)
We paid $120 for a new game and said it was way to high.
So what did they do? They dropped it to $80. Ok, thanks thats better BUT they now cut it up and add a premuin pack and extra DLC which they made alongside the game.
Now instead of you thinking it cost $80 for a game it actually costs $180 for the game. (I'm talking about Battlefield and COD games)

They ARE ripping us off. And they no longer care for games, they are all in it for the money.
Remember John Carmack. He was a gamer first. He made Doom, Quake, Wolfenstien, etc. HE is a gamer, I listen to what he says as he knows whats really going on. Companies like EA are assholes and just in it for the money.
1 example is Real Racing on iPad/iPhone/Android.
You have a great dev named Firemint.
They make a great game, Real Racing. Its fun and really enjoyable.
They make a sequel named Real Racing 2. Looks better as you would expect, same fun enjoyable type of game.
Now, here is the asshole thing. EA take over Real Racing. They make Real Racing 3.
Its FULL of IAP (In App Purchases)
You cant play it properly unless you pay real money or take weeks for your virtual car to repair and parts to be delivered.
NOTHING BUT MONEY is what EA are about. They ruined a perfectly good franchise. It was a great game and ok, RR3 does look good but all the IAP totally ruins it.

I wish game devs would see whats happened and STOP THE BULLSHIT!
Go back to the way it was. Make a great game, enjoy it, watch the community enjoy it, if we love it then make a DLC, NOT the same time as you make the game and force us to pay again to understand the story.
Have the DLC a side mission, one that doesn't ruin the story but adds to it. Have all of it priced at the right price. NO IAP! as that's proof you dont care for games but making money.

And a huge thing for game devs to know.
If you dont want your game bigtime pirated then DONT put in DRM. Pirates remove the DRM then distribute it so all it does it punish the legit purchases.

Rant over.

I really with they listen but I doubt it, they wont make money my way, they will keep gamers happy but not make as much money. In the long term they will make more money as gamers will be happy so they purchase the next game you release and the DLC and they tell their friends and so on.
If you add DRM and IAP there are ways around it and you will loose more money than if you didn't add them.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NakedFaerie wrote:
EXACTLY!
I've been saying this for the last few, many years and get flamed and harassed and abused for it.

Back on the day of Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, those days was the best.
I remember I think it was Quake 2. They made the game, they joined in online and about 6 months later they said it was so awesome and people loved it so they made a DLC. Then a year later they said it was still going awesome so they made a 2nd DLC.
None of this make the DLC alongside the full game and cut it up so you are forced to pay a high price for the game then pay even more for the DLC which is needed to complete the story and understand what is going on.

And remember a few years back (About 5) when we said the prices of games are too high (I'll say it in AUS dollars)
We paid $120 for a new game and said it was way to high.
So what did they do? They dropped it to $80. Ok, thanks thats better BUT they now cut it up and add a premuin pack and extra DLC which they made alongside the game.
Now instead of you thinking it cost $80 for a game it actually costs $180 for the game. (I'm talking about Battlefield and COD games)

They ARE ripping us off. And they no longer care for games, they are all in it for the money.
Remember John Carmack. He was a gamer first. He made Doom, Quake, Wolfenstien, etc. HE is a gamer, I listen to what he says as he knows whats really going on. Companies like EA are assholes and just in it for the money.
1 example is Real Racing on iPad/iPhone/Android.
You have a great dev named Firemint.
They make a great game, Real Racing. Its fun and really enjoyable.
They make a sequel named Real Racing 2. Looks better as you would expect, same fun enjoyable type of game.
Now, here is the asshole thing. EA take over Real Racing. They make Real Racing 3.
Its FULL of IAP (In App Purchases)
You cant play it properly unless you pay real money or take weeks for your virtual car to repair and parts to be delivered.
NOTHING BUT MONEY is what EA are about. They ruined a perfectly good franchise. It was a great game and ok, RR3 does look good but all the IAP totally ruins it.

I wish game devs would see whats happened and STOP THE BULLSHIT!
Go back to the way it was. Make a great game, enjoy it, watch the community enjoy it, if we love it then make a DLC, NOT the same time as you make the game and force us to pay again to understand the story.
Have the DLC a side mission, one that doesn't ruin the story but adds to it. Have all of it priced at the right price. NO IAP! as that's proof you dont care for games but making money.

And a huge thing for game devs to know.
If you dont want your game bigtime pirated then DONT put in DRM. Pirates remove the DRM then distribute it so all it does it punish the legit purchases.

Rant over.

I really with they listen but I doubt it, they wont make money my way, they will keep gamers happy but not make as much money. In the long term they will make more money as gamers will be happy so they purchase the next game you release and the DLC and they tell their friends and so on.
If you add DRM and IAP there are ways around it and you will loose more money than if you didn't add them.

Because there's enough suckers out there that will buy all that shit. That's gaming today. Look at all the fucking retards that buy consoles. This generation of console is complete shit but hey, let me sell my PS3 and get a mildly upgraded PS4. Yippe! Tons of idiots that keep buying the shit. Until they wake up and gamers in general we'll have to deal with the DLC and expansion shit for a long time.
tiamat
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only think of 2 cases where DLC was justified. Mass Effect 2, which expensive to get all of it, I saw as very good (optional) additions to the game. The other was Dragon Age where a golem character didn't work with the maps very well but they added it later after fixing it (and the character's comments about the devs having "size issues" was quite amusing if you knew the background). I didn't mind either.

Other than that DLC is a poison that is nothing short of money grabbing. Unfortunately there are so few publishers left they know they can get away with it. Just look at EA's handling/ruining of Dungeon Keeper on Android through IAPs just like NakedFaerie writes. They also gamed the rating system so unless you wanted to rate it 5 stars you got redirected to their website rather than the Play store. Luckily EA have not produced anything I want to play in a long time but I will pirate before I put money in their pockets and Ubisoft are almost as bad.

Steam Early Access is a very mixed bag. I have heard of a lot of games where the devs clearly never intended to actually finish and just wanted quick cash. There have been some better stories though and the Magic Carpet-inspired Arcane Worlds is looking like it could be one.

Since the PS1 consoles have slowly been killing games. First there was the dumbing-down and now it is DLC. Next I predict that these big franchises like MW/COD and the annualised sports games will all be online-connected play only so they can charge subscriptions (in addition to full purchase price and DLCs) and then turn the servers off when the new ones come out to force you to buy this year's version. Online connectivity for single-player games is already here so the next logical step is how to stop you playing last year's games. Remember, you don't own the game you own a licence to play it... until they revoke that ability (in their view) Wink
Thudo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Next I predict that these big franchises like MW/COD and the annualised sports games will all be online-connected play only so they can charge subscriptions (in addition to full purchase price and DLCs) and then turn the servers off when the new ones come out to force you to buy this year's version. Online connectivity for single-player games is already here so the next logical step is how to stop you playing last year's games. Remember, you don't own the game you own a licence to play it... until they revoke that ability (in their view)
Thats what I have feared for years and years and predicted the facktard game industry would start implementing once Internet was not only ubiquitous but also fairly fast. Almost sounding like Necromancer and the BORG where you crave the next upgrade BUT must be connected to the HIVE in order to receive them. Scary society incoming where independence and freedom-off-the-grid is greatly frowned upon. Hollywood sci-fi becoming reality. Mad
NakedFaerie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a perfect example of the hidden overpricing. Thief.
It came out today.
(In Aus dollars)
It came out for $70
Oh, thats about average for a new game.
If you check PSN its also $69.95 which is a real surprise as they are usually about $20 above shop prices.
BUT heres the thing. If you pay $99 you get the "bundle" which is a 0-day DLC and the game.
Now WHY wasn't that DLC already part of the game?
Thats just proving the full game actually costs $99 but they want you to think it only costs $70 but the DLC which is probably only 1 mission costs the extra $30.
Thats a total rippoff.

And Micro$oft are starting the next wave of bullshit. They want their xboxone to be online only. Thats why they dont care if your brand new console has a bad disc drive or not. The latest rumor is they will release a console without a disc drive forcing it to online only.

And $ony are also joining in with the new console not backwards compatible with old consoles. BUT they will gladly let you purchase the software again so you can play it on the new console but NO the disc you brought with your PS1 wont play so you will have to buy it from PSN.
Same goes for PS2 games and soon PS3 games.

SO that huge PS2 and PS3 collection will cost you double to play it on the new PS4 console.
More proof they no longer care about gamers and more about money.
And have a look at the features you get. Look at the 60GB PS3, that was full of awesome features and look at the PS4. Its got the bare minimum. You cant even change the color of the background or icons or anything. Its like a prototype and over the next few years they will slowly add to it and eventually it'll be something close but not equal to a PS3.

And I dont really agree with consoles killing games. PS1 and PS2 were great. They actually tested games before they sold them. There was no 0-day patches proving you brought a beta copy not a final. You put in the game and it played no needing installing for 30 mins before you can play. None of that online or yoiu cant play crap, it was just buy the game and 2 mins later you playing it and enjoying yourself. The PS3 and Xbox360 was when gaming went downhill. and now, they dont even test games. If they did actually test games there would be no 0-day patches. There would only be patches to add extra DLC that was made AFTER the game was released. The patch was to add a menu item so you could play that DLC.
Its not like they had thousands of different hardwares to make a game for like PCs, its the exact same hardware so HOW can they go so horribly wrong with some games? There was reports of uncharted 1 on PS3 to actually brick consoles so they had to fix it and patch it. WTF? Its a PS3 so test it for a month before you release it to the public. I wonder how many consoles bricked and $ony refused to fix just because they no longer test the games before they sell them?

Well, I could keep going and going but I better stop.
The gaming industry these days SUCKS. Thats why piracy is so popular and IAP patches are so needed. I love those IAP games as you will always know me, I'm the one with 1 billion credits. Very Happy
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not forget kickstarter...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: