Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Doom 3 [16575]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i been told by a friend also a coder

"Doom 3 does use bump mapping but not to an extreme(or high quality or consistantly) and this is blindly obvious up close to the textures. While in other games I have seen the use bump mapping extremely well and the games look beutiful with little compromise up close. I'm not sure what Carmack and team were doing when they wrote this game but it would seem they compromised on a lot of things. Apparently, it was felt that by increasing bump mapping and other things it would have had adverse effects on gameplay with peoples machines. The bump mapping is going to be nothing compared to HL2 but of course we don't really know what HL2 will look like, we'll have to wait(just speculation and what I have heard). To tell you honestly, after finishing Doom 3 I'm pretty dismayed at the poor quality of the game, incredibly poor multiplayer and the very unoriginal mechanisms in the game such as the keypads, horrible looking weapons and damn predictability of the enemy AI at no matter what skill level. It's the same in Doom 3 like many others before it, throw in lots of creatures and starve the player of ammo, the worst occuring near end of your missions. Not overly original. The game was released to make money and it will for a short time but as a classic, I'd take Doom 2 before I took this game. As for your comment about all the high reviews, as I said earlier this game is going to get high marks whether you like it or not, it's Doom it's Carmack and it's a business. As you said yourself, throw in some little things like heat fx and some mild bump mapping and people will swear it's the best thing they've seen. Trust me, there's a lot better stuff coming before years end and if you think Doom 3 is good at all.. Smile "
amra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@wilderwein
ya right, but at least i want to have some smooth gameplay, so i have bm and other features turned off. wish my system would kick ass like some others here.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beh, depends on your rig i guess, but i imagine i wont have any probs with HL2 or STALKER. When i ran Alpha of STALKER i had amazing FPS.
CaptStar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope Stalker is good because I really want it badly. Every screenshot and movie I see of it looks good, but it just got delayed so that sorta sucks.
devilhood
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxxx wrote:
beh, depends on your rig i guess, but i imagine i wont have any probs with HL2 or STALKER. When i ran Alpha of STALKER i had amazing FPS.

the STALKER alpha is pretty old isn't it? I never managed to try that one, was it any good?
maga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devilhood wrote:
xxxx wrote:

the STALKER alpha is pretty old isn't it? I never managed to try that one, was it any good?

the STALKER alpha had Quake2, maybe Quake3 style graphics, one huge level, no enemies, and allmost all the weapons....and it ran at 100-150 fps.

very underwhelming
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blackflag

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Same old fodder Reply with quote

Lets cut to the chase

Who cares about Bump Mapping and all that crap, This game does not deserve all the praise and hype it is getting in all the mags and on every game site.Where is the INOVATION, where is the blow me away GAMEPLAY, there is nothing new is this game, the graphics are great the sound is great , it looks slick on a brand new top of the range Graphics card, that probaly cost you Fortune, and will be outa of date before you even make the first repayment.We should not be amazed by such games and there flash new Graphics, WE should expect it as consumers, truly great games push the boundries on all fronts, whether it Gameplay, AI, or storyline,DOOM3 only delivers on one of these, it's that old banger that you have been driving around for years, that you decide to spraypaint and put on a go faster stripe, and stick in a novelty horn. At heart it's still Doom, still a laugh to play around with, but you know you are gona have to move on someday and face the facts, that this game is exactly the same as the first doom game you ever played.
CaptStar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it didnt Maga, what were you talking about.
CaptStar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all BlackFlagg, we do care about bump-mapping. Carmack himself said that would be one of the things in Doom 3, and where the hell is it? On the enemies, but not on the walls like he said there would. Maybe if you werent a one post newbie, then I would respect what I said, but your talking to the people here who have played games since they were young (I first played Doom when I was 3).
maga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No it didnt Maga, what were you talking about.

No it didnt what ?

CaptStar wrote:
(I first played Doom when I was 3).

so that makes you.....13
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sly
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clear things up for the other readers (Aside from the guys with the flame throwers =P ). All the pics i posted were from the same machine (mine) same videocard (fx5900xt) same settings (High) and identical areas so you can easily flip between them with ACDSee. The only difference was the bumpmap option in the advanced menu.

http://img23.exs.cx/img23/9874/shot71.jpg
http://img23.exs.cx/img23/2804/shot72.jpg

These are meant for the other readers since these people bickering might confuse other people where the pics actually came from =P No i don't have an ATI card. No, none of the shots were from ATI cards. And yes, i had my flame suit custom made, see, it's even got Armandi sewed on the back =P

And guys, try "http://imageshack.us", free image hosting. All my screenshots are hosted there ^_^
saldez

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: AI on Zombies Reply with quote

First, no, I haven't played the game. I'm just posting to tell you all that zombies, at least the ones I know (and the ones on Resident Evil (the movie)) may not be smart, but have brain working. I mean, in the movie, they had to destroy the 'neuro-connexions' of the zombies to kill then. Maybe brain/spine.
And... why can't demons be smart? They are superior to imps and stuff, they may be seen as 'managers' of hell. Evil or Very Mad says: "I'm smart!"
Just my input Wink
Oh. And quit messing with hx. He's the man.
CaptStar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that makes me 15 this month
slayer
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really can people stop it please this is nothing to do with doom 3 and doom 3 does have bumpmapping when i was doin the bit when the hell knight charges after u the walls looked like it had cracks that had shadows underneath and stuff. so will people stop getting abusive talk about the game.... Please. on HX's behalf.... OK? Shocked
CaptStar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hate the ignorance of the 1 post idiots on these forums. As I have said, along with xxxx, there is only bump mapping on enemies. THERE IS NONE ON THE WALLS AND THE FLOORS AND EVERY OTHER ITEM. THERE ARE PAINTED ON PIPES, PAINTED ON SHADOWS, etc.
Carmack cut corners, but this game is still really good. problem is my game keeps locking up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: