Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Halo 2 PC Status Report [21640]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Halo 2 PC Status Report [21640] Reply with quote

The latest Bungie weekly update touches on the plans to port Halo 2 to the PC:

Will I need a DirectX 10 graphics card to run Halo 2 on PC? No. Although you will require Windows Vista to play Halo 2 on a PC, you won't necessarily need to upgrade your graphics card to do it. Halo 2, like some other Vista tit

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
JohnyDog
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Okay, so the bad news is that it seems like they're using the next Halo PC title to try to pimp Vista out for Microsoft. They're not using DX10, so it's sort of unclear why this game absolutely must run on Vista, except that Microsoft told them "make it only run on Vista".

Uh, judging by their talks about geometric shaders etc, they are using DX10, just the DX10 features will not be required in hardware - it is the same as all the modern games which requires latest DX9, but can be run (with bumpmapping and so turned off) on DX7 hardware (gf4mx).

Requiring DX10 hardware would be plain stupid anyway, as such thing isn't out yet and lots of people still have DX7 cards.
torracat
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Okay, so the bad news is that it seems like they're using the next Halo PC title to try to pimp Vista out for Microsoft. They're not using DX10, so it's sort of unclear why this game absolutely must run on Vista, except that Microsoft told them "make it only run on Vista". "

I will tell you why- Marketing. as smart as those guys over at MS, it never ceases to amaze me that they somehow feel like people wont buy this stuff unless they employ this gestapo method of marketing, forcing people to buy their products....

as a customer i'll state for the record. I will buy both. but because I have no choice, I will be annoyed while purchasing...... I reallly dont see the need to market this way, by annoying your loyal customers.....(walks away befuddled).....
yessum

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halo2 being marketed as a vista only ‘miracle’ is simply idiotic. Those who have played it on xbox, do not have the need to replay it. They were disappointed. (At least those who’ve I had the pleasure to talk to). So Halo2 in my opinion is only marketed at those who do not own an xbox, chose not to own an xbox, and want to have the exact same pleasure that millions, who do own an xbox (and halo2), were advertised to have.

Halo port for pc wasn’t at all spectacular. If you’ve played the xbox version you didn’t miss much. Multiplayer came with cheaters, and multiplayer ended with cheaters. Community isn’t/wasn’t as great as it should’ve/could’ve been.

You have your UT/R6/HL/MMO’s/ET communities. The basics. The money makers.

Halo came.
Got played.
And turned to dust.

Same will happen with halo 2. It will be nothing fantastic, and nothing new.
Why not just pick up an xbox for 199 (or less) and halo 2?
It’s much more affordable and much more enjoyable. Very Happy
yhancik

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"a wide range of graphics cards, including DX9 cards" haha

it's like a producer saying "a lot of people have seen my movie, including me and my mother"
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You people are all so in denial, you know as well as me that as soon as Vista is on store shelves you are going to be the first person getting it..

Who are you trying to kid? Pfff
yessum

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've switched to Macs long ago.
Only windows I use is on my laptop and that's only used for word processing on the go. So, unless Office Vista has something I'll desperately need to improve my documents, I won’t get it.

See, I don’t have a need for getting Vista. Very Happy

For gaming I’ll get the wii Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy and if money’s well a ps3.
For portable gaming I’ve got my DS with Supercard. Will be getting DSlite in June. And my laptop is 3 years old and still runs office fine.

So no, I won’t be getting Vista anytime soon. Very Happy

And DRM alone prevents me from getting Vista. Smile

After feedback from the people of the people I'll consider it: If the feedback is positive, of course. Very Happy
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yessum wrote:
I've switched to Macs long ago.
Only windows I use is on my laptop and that's only used for word processing on the go. So, unless Office Vista has something I'll desperately need to improve my documents, I won’t get it.

See, I don’t have a need for getting Vista. Very Happy

For gaming I’ll get the wii Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy and if money’s well a ps3.
For portable gaming I’ve got my DS with Supercard. Will be getting DSlite in June. And my laptop is 3 years old and still runs office fine.

So no, I won’t be getting Vista anytime soon. Very Happy

And DRM alone prevents me from getting Vista. Smile

After feedback from the people of the people I'll consider it: If the feedback is positive, of course. Very Happy

My comments were aimed at people already using Windows XP as their primary OS who bicker about MS and their new releases like clockwork everytime there is a new OS coming. You might think you're safe on the Mac side, but you know Mac will go Vista as the primetime OS and eventually you will too.

I will personally move to Vista for added security, better firewall and better gaming support. It's pretty much a no-brainer. As for console.. well, I will wait until PS3 is available before I waste further money on anything outside of my PC. Although, it's more than likley I will get a Xbox 360 and hack it to play ripped games.

I'm 37, I don't need nor even desire a handheld gaming device. How do you get chicks with a gaming device like that..? Yikes.. I can understand a handheld gaming device for like teenagers or even the younger crowd.. but I'd personally be embarassed carrying a Gameboy or something.. My friends would be telling me to get a life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: