Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion [21337]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion [21337] Reply with quote

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is a fantasy-themed role-playing game developed by Bethesda Softworks. It is the fourth game in the Elder Scrolls series. The story takes place shortly after the events of Morrowind but in another province...read a full review

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
th4t1guy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, and Far Cry still got a better score. And I wonder how many people are STILL playing that game...
Penetreitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, many people still playing Far Cry because they don't need to spend > u$s 300 to upgrade their PCs, I have a FX 5200 and could play Far Cry, Quake 4, and others excellent engines. But to play this one I need to change almost all my PC to install a graphic card that give acceptable performance for this engine.
I believe that only the 15% of the market can play this game smothly. It's so spectacular?
th4t1guy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you missed my point. Go play Far Cry online sometime. NOBODY is playing it as the game just plain sucks, and after the 5 million patches released, they still have barely fixed any of the bugs.
I would just like to know if theres a single person that has played both games and honestly thinks FarCry is better.
Nosferatu
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

th4t1guy, for THE TIME when Far Cry was released it was excellent and certainly deserved the high score reviewers gave it. But NOW the standards are once again higher, that's why Oblivion doesn't jump higher than that.
torracat
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont forget. although this game is awesome (i would never say otherwise) it is verry bugged on release and an extreeme challenge to any PC that runs it. these make for a lessened gaming experience no matter how good it is. to do bethesda justice, those guys were nice enough to reply directly to me regarding the work they are putting in to fix the probs. I look forward to the patch. i am having fun, but i have had some Quest-halting/game corrupting problems that are still unresolved.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who played flight sims in the early '90s knows that when they were released *NOTHING* you currently owned (back then) could play them with full options on.
Falcon 4 required about 4 CPU, 3 G card upgrades and a jump from 256mb to 1gig RAM to be seen in all it's glory. Oblivion because it takes advantage of dual-core (CPU intensive) is no different, in a year or twos time we will be able to afford cheaper dual-core and high-end G cards -such is the nature of PCs.

I'm playing it full everything except grass -that KILLS fps to 15 when set to full or even slightly on, so figured it's a CPU thing i guess- at 1280x1024 on a GeForce 7800GT.

On the otherhand i haven't experienced any of the 'bugs' that people have gone on about not corrupted game saves etc,etc. and that's after about 25hours gameplay.
yhancik

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just realized... that unbearable "bloom" effect is just the counterpart of that kitsch "hamilton blur" in 70's photography (http://art.transindex.ro/?kep=1166)

i can't imagine how 'dated' this will look in a few year Very Happy
th4t1guy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the time? I don't buy that crap for a second. A game that was fun five years ago is still fun today. A score in the mid-nineties implies that the game should remain fun for a very long time, and what do we see now? No one is playing FarCry, yet still a ton of people play Painkiller, a game that got consistently lower scores. It just goes to show that nobody reviews games based on gameplay anymore...
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

94% and you didn't even properly review the game.. sigh..

yes, lets forget about the lousy interface, whatever happened to the concept of bags? what's this lousy list? Innovative or cut corners? Or how you drop things on the ground, come back days later and it's still in the middle of the street.. Yeah, realistic.. (they tell you, don't leave stuff in chests and stuff or it will disappear) yeah... i guess eventually.. just my rusty iron armor is still on the steps right in front of a Guard and has been since I got out of the sewer days ago.. lol. Yeah, guess nobody needs FREE armor sitting in the middle of the road..

differing quality of gfx from ATI to nVidia.. nVidia is clearly superior in it's use of HDR and lighting overall. God on ATI you can hardly notice HDR, especially in the caves.. There is no eerie glow on things, shiny surfaces etc.. Do ATI users even notice? lol.. No that's right they're all happy HDR and AA work...

Inventory, you can pause the world just going into inventory...oh wait let me have 4 or 5 healing potions.. there now I can fight again

lame and pathetic map system, you can just easily teleport to locations.. you don't even need to journey across the fantastic land.. You would think, first you have to travel by foot which then opens up a teleport.. No no such thing, made for el n00b in Oblivion.. Boats? Nope..Oh wait there is horses though.. that's kinda neat...

Not to insult you, but it's hard HX.. But this is a half-assed review.. I don't know why you wrote anything?.. you could have just given it 94 without even saying a word. Did you do this review just so it comes up in a google search?!? Did you need to rush it for some reason? There is zero basis in your review to give it a 94 outside of gfx..

Ah well.. as someone said, even Farcry was over rated.. how can I expect anything to be different.. I don't even see the point of review sites when the reviewers have no balls and get pleased easily by simply eye candy... sigh..
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comment about nvidia vs ATI for quality is something to check out for yourself.. If someone has a shot they think looks amazing on their ATI, post it. I'll post my nVidia counterpart. I am truly curious.. but my X800 doesn't even hold a candle to a 6800 and 7600.. I know, cuz I compared both.. HDR and lighting in general are superior on the nVidia hardware.
th4t1guy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my nvidia screenshot: http://membres.lycos.fr/go2h311/funkyarmor.jpg

Using a 6800 NU with the 84.21 divers. For some reason it only does this in the Chorrol bookstore.
El_Coyote
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxxx
lol the review is allright, you're just a pms'ing teen girl
nyqos
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
94% and you didn't even properly review the game.. sigh..

yes, lets forget about the lousy interface, whatever happened to the concept of bags? what's this lousy list? Innovative or cut corners?

Innovative, if you actually play with it. It has made the game a lot easier to play without forcing you to go searching through bags (which can be got with a simple mod, the purpose of making the game so easy to mod).

Quote:
Inventory, you can pause the world just going into inventory...oh wait let me have 4 or 5 healing potions.. there now I can fight again

Actually, you can only drink a certain number, I think two or three. It's the same as using hotkeys.

Quote:
lame and pathetic map system, you can just easily teleport to locations.. you don't even need to journey across the fantastic land.. You would think, first you have to travel by foot which then opens up a teleport.. No no such thing, made for el n00b in Oblivion.. Boats? Nope..Oh wait there is horses though.. that's kinda neat...

The cities begin being teleportable, because all of the quest points are distributed. You can't teleport to any off the in-land quest points without walking through the land. Have you even played the game? Have you played morrowind? Dealt with the ridiculous nature of being FORCED to walk everywhere there wasn't a silt-strider or mage's guild? You haven't even played the game.

Quote:
Not to insult you, but it's hard HX.. But this is a half-assed review.. I don't know why you wrote anything?.. you could have just given it 94 without even saying a word. Did you do this review just so it comes up in a google search?!? Did you need to rush it for some reason? There is zero basis in your review to give it a 94 outside of gfx..

Ah well.. as someone said, even Farcry was over rated.. how can I expect anything to be different.. I don't even see the point of review sites when the reviewers have no balls and get pleased easily by simply eye candy... sigh..

Maybe playing the game was the key, you should try it. There's a lot more to the game than simple GFX, and it's a great experience, a unique experience, actually. And 1.7 Million copies sold may not be indicative of the experience, but it sure as hell isn't shabby.
xxxx
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screenshots from ATI please. I know what nVidia looks like. Screenshots of outside please, not inside.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: