Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Big S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Problems? [20774]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Big S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Problems? [20774] Reply with quote

Gamemag.ru conducted an investigation to clear up what's going on with
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. -Shadow of Chernobyl: of November THQ made a decision to stop financing the development and to conduct a thorough revision to gain control over the development process. uot;We don't care what shape the game will ship

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Jelster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch.

Think its time THQ grabs what it can and just walks away.

Shame the developers BS their fans for so long*. Ripping off a company is one thing but dragging fans around with the same crap is pretty low.

* If the article is entirely true.
VideoGamerJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Think its time THQ grabs what it can and just walks away.

Shame the developers BS their fans for so long*. Ripping off a company is one thing but dragging fans around with the same crap is pretty low.

Speaking from someone who probably hasn't played STALKER nor knows anything about it, I can understand why you say that. I played an early beta which dated to 2004, and it had great features. It was shaping up to become something great, and for THQ to cut funding is complete bullshit.

Great games do get delayed it is true. Did you ever stop to think that developers hate to push a game out when it's not ready? Well this is a textbook example. THQ just doesn't give a damn. And for you to think it's the other way around clearly reflects you know nothing about the industry.

""We don't care what shape the game will ship in anymore, - said one of the THQ bosses to an IGN journalist, - the game must ship in 2006"."

Pathetic. Really. I wish they had the guy's name for whoever said that, because thats an amazingly low quote.
rockin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It was shaping up to become something great, and for THQ to cut funding is complete bullshit.
did it ever cross your mind that perhaps it wasn't shaping up, and THQ is doing this to apply pressure so GCS actually does some work? Multiplayer sucked at E3 2004, and it was a no show at E3 2005. For such a high profile game, it should be pretty obvious that something is wrong when a game isn't shown at E3, not even behind closed doors or theatre presentation.
For a game this long in development to be always in a state of design is ridiculous. THQ is protecting their investment. If you ask me it should have happened a year ago.
Don't even try to put the blame on THQ. A game company has to earn the respect to delay a project (Valve, ID, Blizzard). GSC hasn't released anything, which gives them nothing to bargin with.
Uranium - 235

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STALKER to me was what Half-Life 2 was back in 2003. It looked like the greatest thing ever. It had great graphics, great innovations, and a lot of hype around it.

Then it mysteriously didn't appear on store shelves. Valve fabricated a net of lies and the game never showed up. In the meantime, other games got released. In a year, new, upcoming technologies were revealed.

And when Half-Life 2 finally came, I simply didn't care anymore. The graphics looked dated. The gameplay had been beaten out by far more intuitive games. In the end, HL2 was just a 'same-old' game. Four games were the 'most anticipated' for 2003. Far Cry. Half-life 2. STALKER. Doom 3. Only two shipped. Doom 3's graphics blew me away. The gameplay wasn't superb, but it definitely was beating HL2. Far Cry blew HL2's outdoor graphics away in areas Doom 3 didn't. In addition, the AI in FarCry was far superior, smarter, and more impressive than HL2, and the... 'Linear/Open ended'-style outdoor environments really gave FPS games a new edge.

HL2 came out a year late and a dollar short. Laughable AI. A poorly-presented story (it felt like reading a book, and I skipped fifty pages in the middle). Stale gameplay. The only thing innovative was tossing some boxes around, which accounted for, from an optimistic point of view, 2% of the actual game. The parts that impressed me were the scripted sequences, which, to be honest, aren't really anything to be proud of nowadays.

STALKER is in the same boat. It looks VERY dated. Back in 2003, seeing all the rungs on the cranes and wires all in the same shot, as real, tangible objects was mind-blowing. Seeing the bump-mapping in the tile walls was total sex. Nowadays, it looks like what it is - a game that should've come out three years ago. THQ is right to push out whatever they have. STALKER has done nothing but hemmorhage money from them, and it has nothing to show for it. The development team has been lying more then Valve.

STALKER was second in line to becoming the next Duke Nukem Forever. I wouldn't pay full price for a four year old used car, would you?
yhancik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously it's just some hoax

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=133377

aside from that, i don't really agree with the "Stalker is now so dated we don't give a fuck anymore"

it surely makes sense if your only interest in the game is about the 3D egine or something, but hey !
Deus Ex, Morrowind or Operation Flashpoint might be "dated", they're still great, valuable gaming experiences in 2006

it's terrible, it just sounds like "Return of the Jedi is crap, special effects in The Phantom Menace are just better"
(well, bad example, but i guess it speaks to more people)

so, if what they said is true about the game, Stalker still is something unique in term of gameplay', something that i would still enjoy even with a "dated" engine
(mh and actually even if some engine like Crysis looks way better, i prefer to look at Stalker... a question of aesthetics... but i feel like almost nobody cares about that)
Jelster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalker could still be a great game but the constant "We're close, oh no it'll be a bit longer" is wearing a bit thin that even a rumour/hoax/leak is believable.

I wonder why THQ hasn't sent out a press release backing up GSC?

This wouldn't be the first time someone has denied any foul play only to follow it up two weeks later by saying the project is close etc etc.

I'm a gamer, I hope GSC just get the game out and get it out in good condition. But if wishes could bring out a good game, I'm be playing Soldner instead of writing this. Smile
Nosferatu
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have confidence in GSC, I think they'll make it a great game. Some may probably say 'pff, what's this?', but I'll appreciate their work no matter what the result may be. We'll all have the opportunity to make our final judgements this autumn.
mustangsvt
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And when Half-Life 2 finally came, I simply didn't care anymore. The graphics looked dated. The gameplay had been beaten out by far more intuitive games. In the end, HL2 was just a 'same-old' game. Four games were the 'most anticipated' for 2003. Far Cry. Half-life 2. STALKER. Doom 3. Only two shipped. Doom 3's graphics blew me away. The gameplay wasn't superb, but it definitely was beating HL2. Far Cry blew HL2's outdoor graphics away in areas Doom 3 didn't. In addition, the AI in FarCry was far superior, smarter, and more impressive than HL2, and the... 'Linear/Open ended'-style outdoor environments really gave FPS games a new edge.

This is incorrect. FarCry came out in spring 2004, and Doom 3 came out in summer 2004. Half-Life 2 came out like what october/november 2004, only a few months later, and the game rocked in terms of graphics and gameplay. It was so good that I would agree with PC Gamer's rating of 98% or Maximum PC's rating of 11/10. You didn't like it, fair enough, but it's definetely a good game and it came out during the same year as FarCry and Doom 3.

I do agree that STALKER is a bit late. Should've come out in 2004 and 2005 and it would've been mind blowing back then. I am playing the game as we speak now and thankfully nowadays I have good enough hardware to run it at very high resolution, but it wouldve been nice to have it 2 years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: