Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Quake 4 patch v1.0.5, Linux client/server v1.0.6 [20407]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Quake 4 patch v1.0.5, Linux client/server v1.0.6 [20407] Reply with quote

id Software has released a new beta patches for
Quake 4, bringing the Win32 edition (local US mirror ~ 12.5MB) of Raven's sci-fi first-person shooter sequel to version 1.0.5, and the Linux client/server (local ed for Windows users with Intel Hyper-Threading Technology (HT Technology) enabled processors,

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Jelster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! This might sort out the random crashes I was getting when joining MP games, and the nasty packet loss simulator. Smile

Anyone play Q4 at all? I've not really got involved in the community much but was an avid Q3 player and am interested in seeing if Q4 is going to get the same mod/map support. It might be a little no brainer compared to the class and realism in more recent games but frankly Q3 could not be beat for fast, heart pounding, 20 minutes fixes of pure fun.

Failing that Quakewars just looks excellent too. I've read some comments that its a BattleField wanna be but I think thats just going a bit too far. Seems to me we need a good class based, vehicle (optional?) laden, arcade style game out there that actually produces the goods.
lmer
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, i'm waiting for Quake Wars. A few people at central gaming forum over here are all about Q4 going to be big, but somehow i doubt it. There's surely gonna be a comunity for it, but not likely as strong as it was in the Q1,2,3. Also, some teams that started with D3 based total conversions are now moving to Q4. So that might be some sort of indication..dunno.

And for those people that claim QW is a BF wannabe...if they ever played ET, they should know SplashDamage is above that. But who knows how strong the marketing decisions from Activision/id are gonna be. I hope they don't f*ck up. Sad
v1m

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see at www.gamespy.com/stats, Quake 4 multi is dead on arrival. There are nearly 3,000 people tonight playing Q3, but only around 500 playing Q4. And twice as many as Q4 are playing the original UT, lol!

High system requirements, mainly. But probably also antipathy for the new generation of id engine games. Something's been lost, or put another way, something's already been done to death and not many people want to play it anymore.

I loved Quake and Q2, and part of what made that scene great was unlimited custom content. You won't see anything approaching that for Q4; in fact, probably no more than you did for the another multiplayer flop, Doom 3.
Jelster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a shame, the fast paced gameplay is certainly missed in this house. Painkiller was also the same, seemed to offer it all but dropped the ball on crappy net code and slow uptake.

Since Quake 3 I've been waiting for something to sink all my time into and nothing has grabbed me. CoD came close, RTCW/ET we're good but lacked a substancial community in the end. Since then, I've been let down.

Now I wait on ET:QW.

Question is, are there now just too many online games and not enough players to support them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: