Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Intel Could Unveil First Discrete 10 nm GPUs [49245]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Intel Could Unveil First Discrete 10 nm GPUs [49245] Reply with quote

According to the sources close to DigiTimes, Intel will unveil its first discrete 10 nm graphics cards named uot;Xeuot; very soon, with the first wave of Xe GPUs expected to arrive some time in 2020. Said to launch mid year, around July or August, Intel will start selling initial Xe GPU models of the long awaited p

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intel is unveiling 10nm when everyone will be at 7nm or less.
How is that attractive?

They can't even make competitive CPUs anymore...
lorcro2000
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still Intel.

Historically when someone challenges them, they find another gear. Plus, not competitive? AMD have just managed to inch past them for price/performance in the PC space, and admittedly by a larger margin with the Epyc. But of course Intel will kick back.

I'm pretty sure the toilet paper bill went up quite a lot at Nvidia HQ when they got wind of these.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undoubtedly.
But Intel is slow-moving.
Nothing on their roadmap for years and by then, AMD will be years ahead.

I don't consider Intel a threat to Nvidia- their attempts to make GPUs in the past have all failed, consistently.
AMD is a different story though, I do hope they give Nvidia a run for their money, too.

It's funny how R&D investment can be measured by toilet paper consumption.
lorcro2000
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't have to beat Nvidia to be a problem, though, they can just take a big chunk of the market share that Nvidia currently holds.

I do expect Nvidia to retain the crown of the fastest PC graphics cards for a while, and AMD doesn't yet have any raytracing. Raytracing is mostly a gimmick right now and there is not a lot of support for it, and it also takes a lot of power away from the rest of the framerate, but it's still a feature Nvidia can hype.

Intel already does most laptops, it's rare to even see discrete graphics anymore. If they can also take a bite out of discrete graphics they'll make even more money.

We'll see I guess.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMD needed 7nm to beat 14nm. It needs 6/12 to beat 6/6...How would amd 6/6 fair against intel 6/6 ? Bad. But "you can't compare core for core, they are not the same!" you will say, because now it suits you. In every other instance "AMD is giving me 6/12 for the price intel gives 6/6" ...sure, now you can say it and compare it. And I am glad AMD is back, I truly am, I am just a bit sick of AMD fanbois. 7nm + double amount of threads to beat 14nm. How good is that 14nm that intel has? Or how bad is that 7nm that AMD has? None of the above. It's a different architecture, stop comparing them. Same goes for the lithography.

How HOT is AMD ryzen on 7nm? Do you see, say, prime95 ran with all the instructions enabled on AMD? Nope. Not even custom loop can cool it. So it's normal to turn off AVX, for some reason. On the other hand, intel has no such issue. because cores a re bigger and more easily cooled.

But hey, let's just concentrate on good things and look over the bad.

Is intel bad atm? Nope. Will it lag behind AMD in next year? Well...not really, they have CPUs that perform similar to what AMD has (in desktop market) they can lower the price.
They are working on 10nm and all that, so that is coming.
Now tell me, how long before AMD comes up with something better than ryzen? They will need something much better, like 20%+ better, because that 10nm from intel is going to be 20%+ faster than 14nm is now....
El_Coyote
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

intel fanboying aside, Zen3 is actually already done on specifications and can feature up to 20% more transistors in the same space, which will again be a substantial boost over zen 2 in the current ryzen 3000 series.

https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-zen-3-has-finished-its-design-phase-rumored-to-launch-in-2020

So if you're basing your "Intel dominance" posts on "AMD can't possibly improve in time", I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed.

Intel has been stagnating on innovation for a long time. Why should they when they were raking in money.

The competition is great for progress and evolution, no matter who currently is the performance top dog.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that's fine, but that, for now, means even more cores and threads. Which is excellent for that niche group of people that actually need rendering power.

And I agree with you, it's great to have competition. Intel would be releasing Coffee Lake just about now if not for AMD lol
They have been kicked out of slumber so we shall see. I hope AMD continues with improvements and not go to sleep or make another bulldozer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: