Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Huawei Harmony OS OFFICIAL - Enter The NEW ERA! [48712]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Huawei Harmony OS OFFICIAL - Enter The NEW ERA! [48712] Reply with quote

of android? Harmony OS 1.0 is coming this year possibly with Mate 30 Lite. EMUI 10.0 Based Android Q is announced as well.

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could this be the end of android?

In Asia, it could be, yes.
US government will prohibit it across the continental US while EU countries will allow it but their users just won't trust it (will therefore never be a majority share OS).
That's the end of Harmony OS outside of Asia.
heretic
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
Quote:
Could this be the end of android?

In Asia, it could be, yes.
US government will prohibit it across the continental US while EU countries will allow it but their users just won't trust it (will therefore never be a majority share OS).
That's the end of Harmony OS outside of Asia.

One of the biggest highlights of the OS is Huawei is going to release it as open-source software as an attempt to increase its adoption.
lorcro2000
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heretic wrote:

One of the biggest highlights of the OS is Huawei is going to release it as open-source software as an attempt to increase its adoption.

Yeah but Android is also open source. That doesn't prevent Google or any other manufacturers from cramming in a lot of extra stuff that's proprietary.

I don't really trust any tech company but I trust companies like Huawei the least. They live in a nation where people can literally be made to disappear if they defy the dictator now. And China has been proven to repeatedly want to infiltrate data networks and the like around the world. So unless Huawei makes all of their Harmony phones 100% open source, they can't be trusted, nor can the OS.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lorcro2000 wrote:
heretic wrote:

Yeah but Android is also open source. That doesn't prevent Google or any other manufacturers from cramming in a lot of extra stuff that's proprietary.

I don't really trust any tech company but I trust companies like Huawei the least. They live in a nation where people can literally be made to disappear if they defy the dictator now. And China has been proven to repeatedly want to infiltrate data networks and the like around the world. So unless Huawei makes all of their Harmony phones 100% open source, they can't be trusted, nor can the OS.

That's funny. You obviously never used google ads back end for customers because, I can almost target you specifically on the internet Very Happy

edit: trust no one! If it's free - you are the merchandise.

Quote:
And China has been proven to repeatedly want to infiltrate data networks and the like around the world.

Jeesus christ dude, NSA (USA) DID THAT, and you are frowning at China? Hypocritical much?
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, this is just the platform, nothing more.
Device drivers and everything on top of the platform (customization, look and feel, apps and the entire app ecosystem) will come from the device manufacturer - same as with Android.
The device manufacturer will grab the current version of the open-source OS, add its own customizations (auto-patch and merge the two source codes, most likely to do it quick), then compile it and use that as its own OS - and forget about OS updates, same as Android.
With that, the device manufacturer can also put in any backdoors (willingly or accidentally) - again, same as Android.
This is the reason why you don't go buy any Android device today - you go and buy with one where the OS can be updated. And it will be the same with Harmony OS (unless of course you are okay with having bugs in your device that drive you nuts over time).

The big win for Asia is this: they can show the finger to the US the next time they try to cut export (of Android OS or Apple/Qualcomm/Intel chip designs). US is a tiny market anyway - 300 mil people maybe, most of whom won't be needing a new phone for another 3-4 years. China and India are 1+1=2billion alone, then add the rest of the world. Even without EU, you get massive sales opportunities. And the US can't touch them anymore. Meanwhile Apple, Qualcomm and most of the US technology will shrink into oblivion (US-only sales will either kill those companies, or shrink them to a negligible market share).
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean "not buy a device with android today"? If device is popular, there will be custom roms. I have nexus 6p, there are plenty of custom ROMs for it. You need to unlock bootloader and that's that.
Compared to the whole World, US is tiny market. Mostly ruled over by Apple anyway. Huawei's problem is/was that they could not use Android anymore because of Trump war on USA (yes, I know what I wrote, it's as stupid as Trump is), so yea, you are right. US basically cut profits to Google and a bunch of other companies from US. clap-clap. ~100 million customers lost, 2 billion left.
Let's not forget Apple moving out of China to more costly (and big moving cost) production.
MAGA. MEGA.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
What do you mean "not buy a device with android today"? If device is popular, there will be custom roms.

Absolutely yes, but custom roms are for you, me, and a small minority.
Not everyone's ready to take the dive.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
gx-x wrote:
What do you mean "not buy a device with android today"? If device is popular, there will be custom roms.

Absolutely yes, but custom roms are for you, me, and a small minority.
Not everyone's ready to take the dive.

So, alternative is what? iphone? smh... I mean, I don't know, you tell me?

Also, this ching chang OS is probably crap, not because of spying and stuff, but because they had it in development for a long time and it was meant for god knows what but now they ported it for smartphones and telling us as if they intended it for mobile since the start. Which is not true. They also have that full iOS look to it so it's a no go for me. That also tells me that they rushed it out and that app drawer look is the only thing they could accomplish since they need app drawer anyway so hey! :S vomit.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:

So, alternative is what? iphone? smh... I mean, I don't know, you tell me?

Also, this ching chang OS is probably crap, not because of spying and stuff, but because they had it in development for a long time and it was meant for god knows what but now they ported it for smartphones and telling us as if they intended it for mobile since the start. Which is not true.

In the US and most likely, in the EU, the Android will prevail, so you are good there. The Harmony OS-based cheap phones will flood APAC however, there'll be no market there for any US company anymore.

Again, correct on all points regarding the ching chang OS. Good name, BTW Wink
There is no 'no' answer in Asia.
I'm sure they pulled out something semi-complete from something else (like you said), patched it up for presentation and they'll get on it on the background.
Actually, on that video, there's a sequence where they forgot to apply the overlay over the phone Very Happy
Go to 03:25, you will see - and from that, you'll know most of the video is a lie.
Rest assured, it is coming because there's no 'no' in Asia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: