Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links


TechNews - Windows 10 Pro for Workstations [44026]

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 28 May 2004
Posts: 28223

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: TechNews - Windows 10 Pro for Workstations [44026] Reply with quote

AMD Responds to Radeon RX Vega Pricing Outrage - Some had claimed that AMD would be dropping its
standalone air-cooled Radeon RX Vega 64 $499 SKU in a bait-and-switch
scheme, but an official statement by the company suggests otherwise: demand of the card is merely exceeding expectations,
and AMD is working hard

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lorcro2000
Junior Member
Junior Member


Joined: 23 Jan 2007
Posts: 192

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome that the C3000 Atom series has finally started shipping. They've had 2 core variants out, but now the real meat of the lineup is out here.

Absolutely perfect for a capable home file server, Supermicro has a tiny Mini-ITX with 8 cores and 12 SATA ports, and Gigabyte also has a great little server board.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 05 Mar 2010
Posts: 2640
Location: The bright side of the dark side

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

A2SDi-H-TF
• Intel® Atom® processor C3758, 8-Core
• Intel® System-on-Chip Design; FCBGA 1310
• Up to 64GB DDR4-2400MHz ECC/non-ECC unbuffered DIMM; 4 DIMM slots
• Duad LAN via Intel C3000 SoC: 2x 10GBase-T
• 1 PCI-E 3.0 x4; M.2 SATA, M Key 2242/2280
• 12 SATA3 (6Gbps) ports via SoC controller
• 1 VGA, 1 COM, 1 SuperDOM, TPM header
• Dimensions: 6.7" x 6.7"; Mini-ITX

Comes with 10Gb - nice!

Although for a file server you need a good RAID controller and a 500MHz processor so it's an overkill.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2004
Posts: 3365

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gimme a break.. if you have an old PC it can serve easily as a file server. My file server is doing perfectly well with old Intel quad core. Don't forget you can also get a 2 bay NAS for < $150.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
heretic
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: 27 May 2004
Posts: 2314

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom wrote:
Gimme a break.. if you have an old PC it can serve easily as a file server. My file server is doing perfectly well with old Intel quad core. Don't forget you can also get a 2 bay NAS for < $150.


really depends what you will do with fileserver Smile

like NAS for movies ..you don't need anything special

but if you have +50 users and SQL server, you need expensive RAID controller
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 1536

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do you need raid controller if you have more or fewer users? It either speeds up the data transfer or does backup or both. But, it doesn't matter how many users you have. These days, mechanical storage is good for backup and large files. For fast access, you shouldn't go mechanical, no mechanical RAID is going to beat a good SSD when it comes to access times and small data transfers (such as SQL queries) etc. And you can put those in RAID too.
_________________
-~ Trolling your forums since 1999 ~-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2004
Posts: 3365

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heretic wrote:
Tom wrote:
Gimme a break.. if you have an old PC it can serve easily as a file server. My file server is doing perfectly well with old Intel quad core. Don't forget you can also get a 2 bay NAS for < $150.


really depends what you will do with fileserver Smile

like NAS for movies ..you don't need anything special

but if you have +50 users and SQL server, you need expensive RAID controller


If you're a business sure, RAID, ok too but not for personal.

gx-x wrote:
why do you need raid controller if you have more or fewer users? It either speeds up the data transfer or does backup or both. But, it doesn't matter how many users you have. These days, mechanical storage is good for backup and large files. For fast access, you shouldn't go mechanical, no mechanical RAID is going to beat a good SSD when it comes to access times and small data transfers (such as SQL queries) etc. And you can put those in RAID too.


SSD is expensive, raid would help for multi-access as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2016 phpBB Group