Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

TechNews-How often do you replace your smartphone? [42781]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: TechNews-How often do you replace your smartphone? [42781] Reply with quote

How often do you replace your smartphone? Are you the type that resides
on the cutting edge of mobile technology
or are you content to use a phone for at least a few years before
upgrading? Perhaps you're accident-prone and find yourself buying a new
smartphone more often than you'd like? FYI, I replace my smarphon

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How often do you replace your smartphone?

While I was young(er), I was chasing technology. It had to be the newest one. Not just smartphones, but all gadgets in general. Eventually, I realized that it ain't gonna get me more (girl)friends, I don't need the newest one to get the job done and I can save tons of money by holding onto stuff longer.
What do I need on a smartphone? Clock with alarm, contacts, phone, SMS, BBM and email. Maybe a banking app though I have used it only to check the account. If it's for corporate use, calendar is useful, too.
That's it. You read that right. No browser or stupid apps that pull down data from specific web pages. I guess these are more important to people that did not pay attention in school or just have to know/validate things in a bar. I do my research at home, on PC.
My BB Q10 is 4-5 years old, it just got a software update. I put it next to a Samsung and an iPhone and I just don't feel the urge to upgrade. I have the best keyboard in the world; I can type even on a bus. I had good laughs just watching people trying to type on their Sammies and iPhones on the bus. It took most of them a good 10 minutes (3 stops) to type "happy birthday, wishing you all the best". lol. Pathetic.
Anyhow, right now I feel I will take this phone into the grave - unless I drop it or something...
But then again, I am using pre-paid subscription so no free phones for me. In parts of EU (like Germany), permanent subscribers that are "good" (meaning they consume a lot making them a 'valued' customer) are entitled for a new phone every two years, free of charge. Thing is, it's part of that chasing technology bait I don't want to be part of anymore.

Quote:
Intel Core i3-7350K Review

Seems there is still no innovation at Intel and they are hell bent on breaking Moore's law in the interest of business. Seems my next build will be AMD.

Quote:
GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Reportedly Launching in Late March

The one worth buying. What took them so long?

Quote:
Blizzard Dropping Windows XP and Vista

Why is that news?
XP support has been dropped all over already.
Vista is vaporware.
Blizzard itself is a collection of fucktards.

Quote:
Google CEO writes back to girl, 7, who wants a job

Again, why is that news?

Quote:
Apple Backs Qi Wireless Charging Standard

Quote:
Apple to begin manufacturing the iPhone SE in India this April

And why are these news? Are you an Apple fanboï?

Quote:
Print security is often overlooked by IT

True, been like that for ages, so it's not really news.

Quote:
Bill Gates thinks we might have to start taxing robots in the future

So Bill, why don't you go back to Microsoft and make sure that ain't going to happen? Your successors seems to be very keen on screwing the entire world over. Threefold.

Quote:
Mark Zuckerberg's manifesto is a political trainwreck

Elections can be manipulated already, without Facebook. Although Facebook would make it so much easier. Sugarboy knows that Facebook's identity management is broken beyond belief so he is trying to tap into federated databases. Smart idea, but it would be a stupid move. Unless your goal is allowing more or less direct access to sensitive information.

Quote:
T-Mobile Adds HD Video and 10GB of Hotspot Data to One Plan

Quote:
Sprint Tweaks Unlimited Plan to Compete with T-Mobile, Verizon

Why are these news? Put these in the Ad section.

Quote:
A single guy tried to find a date the 'old-fashioned' way...

He's da man! Congrats!
I'm sure it won't yield as many dates as an online service, but you will most certainly earn the respect of the woman you are going on a date with. And through that, you have better chances of finding the one.
I despise all the spineless boys trying to date someone without giving their real face to it. They set false expectations and as such, the date is bound to be disaster. Save your money from these dating services and use it to buy a flower for God's sake. Just start handing out flowers randomly. You will see that it makes all girls happy, some will start talking to you and a few will be interested in you.

I'm having my periods, sorry about all that bitching.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After checking my savings account I just use for entertainment I am considering a PC upgrade. It will likely be Intel because I don't buy inferior AMD crap. I'll never be so cheap as to buy AMD.

My phone is replaced every 2 years, my mobile plan gives me 2 years, because I like new devices to crack and install ROMs. I had a BB piece of junk and I rather stick with an open OS like Android.

Sorry my hemorrhoids are acting up.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB is Android these days you know (been like that for a while; I'm surprised such a tech savvy guy does not know).
So you can get the best of both worlds. No need to surrender your privacy to cheap asian shit.
lanceton
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where I live I found it's always a great deal to get unlocked previous flagship android models released like 1.5~2 years ago.
it'd cost less than 1/2 of the original MSRP while still provides significantly better hardware and feature compared to current mainstream models at the same price.
The only downside is there's usually only seller provided 3 months warranty, however in my experience I've never had a broken android phone before so I happily accept the risk.
I've been changing every year since I found out it works this way, and there are always somebody around who would want my old phone that I can give it away as a gift.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Csimbi I know now they are but I had one when they were not. I had the bold 9000. Worst phone I ever had with a lame mini keyboard. BB is dead they just don't realize it. Too late switching to Android.

I love replacing the OS on my Android phone. So much variety.

Now I have an S5, which is actually a nice step up from my S4. Same design but more powerful. I considered a knock off phone but since they were giving me money to have the S5 I couldn't refuse. It just basically paid for my PC upgrade. Don't kid yourself either those cheap Chinese phones are becoming massively popular and a threat to other phone makers.

By the way the guy doing Tom Sawyer. That's awesome.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bold 9300 was the first of the 'best keyboard series'.
Not very much different from the Bold 9000 though.
It certainly takes some getting used to - in the first few months I could not find any letters, lol
Took me half a year or so to learn typing proficiently.
After that, I hit all keys 100% and I could type as fast as on a PC - and once you got the taste of what a good keyboard feels like, there is no going back.
I'm sorry that it did not work out for you.

Yeah, that Tom Sawyer thing is quite something.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
The Bold 9300 was the first of the 'best keyboard series'.
Not very much different from the Bold 9000 though.
It certainly takes some getting used to - in the first few months I could not find any letters, lol
Took me half a year or so to learn typing proficiently.
After that, I hit all keys 100% and I could type as fast as on a PC - and once you got the taste of what a good keyboard feels like, there is no going back.
I'm sorry that it did not work out for you.

Yeah, that Tom Sawyer thing is quite something.

Didn't like that keyboard. Back then it was 3 year contracts but I managed to get rid of it early because I dropped it in the toilette after flushing. It worked but would spontaneously turn off. It also smelled! As the moisture tag on the battery never tripped I brought it back to store, they didn't have anymore of that model and I didn't want the other model because I paid like $60 bucks for an otter case. So I switched to Android, never looked back. There was like no software/games for the android and it was a super boring phone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: