Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Hard Drive Stats for Q3 2016: Less is More [42241]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Hard Drive Stats for Q3 2016: Less is More [42241] Reply with quote

Here's is the hard drive failure data for Q3 2016. This chart is just for the period of Q3 2016. The hard drive models listed below are data drives, not boot drives. We only list drive models that have 45 or more of that model deployed.

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. WD-branded drives seem to suck these day.
I used to invest in WD drives when I was young because they were the best at the time.

Then came HGST - which is still WD under a different brand - I have never bought anything else since. I have about 100Tb in total in my NASes. (due to RAID6 and mirroring, the usable space is less than half).
The age of the drives vary between 8years and 2years.
It's good to see that the figures are proving me right.

One thing though: some of these drives have very little volumes.
We'd need to see >10k drives of each model to make it comparable; some of these volumes are practically zero.
Mojoman
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought Seagate were the best! When I used to repair PCs (15 years ago), WD were my HD of choice. Then a friend who works in TI said Seagate were the real deal. It had rubber around the case and supposedly a decent warranty against impacts.

BlackBlaze is doing a great job providing this info.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<deleted duplicate message which was a consequence of Firefox crash recovery>

Last edited by Csimbi on Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:06 pm; edited 3 times in total
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seagate provided decent HDs for the price.
HGST drives cost much more than Seagate drives (at least, they used to) so we are comparing 1st class apples to 2nd class apples.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seagate's were never the best drive. In fact WD and Hitachi/IBM Deskstars long held the reputation they were the best. Seagates were more affordable thus why people bought them. When I built PC's for people I always recommended WD but everyone swooped to Seagate to save. Sadly all my drives are Seagate but then I haven't had any failure with them so I consider myself lucky. My NAS is all Seagate.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much do you save on HDD when building a whole PC? Price differences (if we look at 1-2 HDDs per PC) is negligible. I am not talking about specific brands here but consumer drivers are all usually within +- 10$ difference at best.

Personally, I had a lot of Seagates, one was a bad apple. Didn't loose data, but would eventually. I swapped it for a Hitachi that died after 3 years (started corrupting data). I opted for Seagate again and it was actually the pricier choice than WD. What I dislike about Seagate is no AAM control...Anyway, running Seagate DM003 series for almost 2 years now, not a single problem so far. Pretty quick drives.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx-x wrote:
how much do you save on HDD when building a whole PC? Price differences (if we look at 1-2 HDDs per PC) is negligible. I am not talking about specific brands here but consumer drivers are all usually within +- 10$ difference at best.

Personally, I had a lot of Seagates, one was a bad apple. Didn't loose data, but would eventually. I swapped it for a Hitachi that died after 3 years (started corrupting data). I opted for Seagate again and it was actually the pricier choice than WD. What I dislike about Seagate is no AAM control...Anyway, running Seagate DM003 series for almost 2 years now, not a single problem so far. Pretty quick drives.

Back when people cared about SB Live cards or nicer mouse or investing in a slightly better screen, they cared.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: