Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Star Citizen Runs Out of Cash? [40356]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Star Citizen Runs Out of Cash? [40356] Reply with quote

The Escapist has posted an extensive article with insider information from nine former employees of Star Citizen, alleging a hostile work environment and that the company has burned through $82 Million of their $90 Million in crowdfunded revenue.

According to several former employees and industry veterans, the reaso

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
zarlin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh come on sell a new skin...or a super duper exclusive one of a kind ship
tiamat
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been under the impression SC is in trouble for some time. When an early trailer with the 2001 vibe to it came out I thought it looked very well put together and then the cost occurred to me as there were no in-game graphics there. It was just costly fluff and that reminded me of how badly Chris failed in Hollywood.

I backed SC for a small amount when Elite Dangerous was in beta and I couldn't believe the difference between the two as there was practically nothing to SC. I thought that maybe my small pledge didn't get me everything but red flags were going up by that point.

A few months ago I read some bits on Derek Smart's (mentioned in the article) blog about SC. I know Derek is not popular in the industry but he has experience and his breakdown of the situation seemed spot on. Derek is not shy and fairly modest about stating what he feels he can and cannot achieve and when he said that what CiG promised couldn't be delivered on 90 million in his experience I thought about games like GTAV and Destiny, their budgets and realised that Derek was absolutely right. I have been waiting for the axe to fall ever since.

Don't get me wrong I really wanted Chris to deliver as I have loved some of his games but since reading Derek's blogs and looking back I think those quotes in the article are right, Chris wants to do movies and he just keeps making trailers whilst the game doesn't seem to be progressing at all.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time a year and a bit ago when I saw their office presentation I said to myself "this project is either a scam or is going to be dragged out forever".

It might even be 2 years ago, I don't honestly remember. I remember Roberts bragging about his 6 (SIX!) 32" 4K displays on his desk (at that time it was ~50K$ each) and he was showing off his "supermodel" secretary (seriously hot young babe which I doubt has any skills other than sucking d*cks) which I imagine has a salary that is over 200$ per year at least, and some other gadgets and things that not even remotely essential to the game itself.
He basically took the money, bought shit and doesn't really care. Like a horny teenager without a care in the world thinking money falls from the sky.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya not so sure about this game.. sounding more and more like a scam and when the F is it slated to come out? 2017? Ya sure... What's he coding with? his toes?
th4t1guy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost like giving money upfront to washed up game devs is a bad idea. Who would've thought?
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

House and cars for all devs.
Sounds like a great deal for me!

I told you this game does not exist, lol
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah it's fine. /sarcasm
People were defending this game since they got a hangar for 40$ and they said it was worth it. So that's that. Very Happy
Koogle
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate how they treat alpha... right from the hanger module to dogfighting.. and now the firstperson module... which i honestly hope is better than the DFM ...they try to balance kb/m ship handling and weapons for matches that will also have joystick players.. its fucking dumb and impossible to balance ship handling etc for 2 different inputs and get fair balancing.. instead of making ship handling be the best for peripheral type and just separate matchmaking for it... like war thunder arcade and simulation modes.)

anyway if they can't even get FPS right on a fucking engine made for FPS, then they truly have fucked up... which given CR's desire for all this movie quality bullshit, from realistic player movement, helmet bobbing cus the camera is within the helmet etc.... could see actually playing the game just being to fucking shit with all of its over the top simulation shit. THe ship combat has already bored me, hell the loading up the game to load the hanger to then load up the DFM module is just stupid instead of direct launcher options for it while its in ALPHA testing..

and the amount of time spent on getting updates out for alpha.. its like they are polishing turds ...for gameshows and marketing.. hell even gameshow attendees get playtesting and firstpeeks before the fucking backers of the game do..

pisses me off.. 2years and there game options still have zero gfx options for disabling shitting motion blur which they are hell bent on shoving down the pipeline even though the effect is only good for demos, having to use console args just to disable basic shit cus some slacker at CIG couldn't just add basic stuff like that to the options already.

anyway i still have faith the game won't be shit when its out.. it has a lot of support but i have no interest in buying any new ships.
tiamat
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:

Actually looking at this and some of the staff reviews here it is a crap place to work and salaries suck. I think gx-x has it right.

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Salary/Cloud-Imperium-Games-Salaries-E776546.htm
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiamat wrote:
Csimbi wrote:

Actually looking at this and some of the staff reviews here it is a crap place to work and salaries suck. I think gx-x has it right.

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Salary/Cloud-Imperium-Games-Salaries-E776546.htm

Most likely.
But it does not really matter in the end (unless you worked there).
doodah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in fairness, this is their reply to the article:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14979-Chairmans-Response-To-The-Escapist
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eff him
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. After reading a lot of dribble. This reminds me when I was part of dev team. Same sort of BS. I think Chris ignoring shit is not helping and he really has no right or wrong choices because there are a lot of pieces of shit in this world. They won't stop. I had the unfortunate task of keeping the community for a game going and at the same time I was recruiting people to help in coding the game etc. What I didn't know at the time was people lie and I mean really lie. Co e in with no other intention but to steal and spread BS. Takes a lot of time to research these people out and figure out the bad seeds. They eventually turned off the lead coder who in turn played deception games. All the while deceiving the community and leaving me to put out fires. In the end I suspect our game code was stolen by 2 other teams making games and Mark Rein who I chatted with and someone else from Epic walked away. Epic in the end did jack shit. While we won stuff in the competition I got zero initially but in the end took ownership of what code there was. The game and community was eventually shutdown and months after people were still trying to get the code from me and hacking my website until I took the whole thing down. And thus was the end of my endeavours to make a game. Not interested in the stress and disappointment of assholes whom live among us with only the intention of making your life hell. Kudos to Chris for continuing on, but then again I was working for free. Not being paid a crazy amount of millions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: