Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Crytek Cevat Yerli Talks Nvidia Shield [39171]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject: Crytek Cevat Yerli Talks Nvidia Shield [39171] Reply with quote

Crytek founder Cevat Yerli talks about the power of the Tegra X1 Nvidia Shield and how Crysis 3 plays on a mobile chip in this interview.

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
heretic
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your thoughts on how quickly mobile gaming is accelerating?

Mobile has been growing over the last eight years now through different types of device incarnations. Mobile is a big deal today, and now with Tegra TX1 we’re seeing real games heading to mobile devices now.

What are your thoughts about the new Tegra X1 technology and what that opens up for games like Crysis 3?

The TX1 is like a mobile super computer. We were able to prove it out by actually porting one of our most demanding PC titles over and running it on an X1 chip. Playing Crysis 3 on it, we were astonished how powerful that chip is and what it can do today already. We look forward to the next iterations of it. It’s going to be a great future for SOC (system on chip) devices, whether it is a console or mobile.

Gamers are very familiar with Crysis 3, but from a development standpoint how taxing is that title for hardware?

When the original Crysis came out you needed to have a $2,000 or $3,000 PC to play it. And then with Crysis 2 we pushed it again, and Crysis 3 has been pushing the boundaries again on high end PC space. The most recent Crysis now that we have internally have is actually based on the latest engine, which is even more advanced than what we shipped almost two years ago. We took that version of Crysis 3 and remastered it. It took us some effort. But once we got it running, we were astonished how much hardware technology, computational power was on the SOC space. SOC has actually evolved so far that we have our engine running on it and Crysis 3 is playable on it.

What are your thoughts about the Nvidia Shield device itself and what impact it will have in the video game ecosystem?

It’s a great positioning to have an SOC Android TV-based console. It’s a new thing for gamers. Android has been great for playing games on mobile or tablets, but actually entering the console space is a big step forward. It has the potential to unify the device as well, and unify the development for new generation developers. It actually validates the fact that this device is able to play real games now. Hopefully, we’re showing people that mobile isn’t just for Angry Birds. Console gamers are used to playing these big productions like Halo or Call of Duty or Crysis and those games are actually really taxing on the hardware. You can’t play them on a mobile phone, but in the future with an X1, you actually might be able to play them. The Shield console is a big step forward for the industry. Streaming games is another area that’s been in development for the last five years now, but I think Nvidia has offered the most complete and realistic solution so far.

What does the Nvidia Shield TV audience open up for your company?

What it means that not just for Crytek as a high-end developer, but also now independent developers can reach tens of hundreds of millions of users going forward on a high-end platform. The way we approach game development is aimed at the mass audience. Now we’ll see the time it takes for indie developers to reach Crytek’s quality level decrease and have more options to reach gamers through Android TV, VR, PC and consoles. And eventually mobile, so they’ll be everywhere.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What are your thoughts on how quickly mobile gaming is accelerating?

It does not, it is artificially inflated. The next bubble waiting to burst.

Quote:
What are your thoughts about the new Tegra X1 technology and what that opens up for games like Crysis 3?

Has potential, but bad implementation and battery life will ultimately kill it, closing the door on games like Crysis 3. On the other hand, games like Snake could flourish were the device not so expensive for that.
We can make rich kids buy in without putting Crysis 3 in the same sentence, if that's what you're asking.

Quote:
Gamers are very familiar with Crysis 3, but from a development standpoint how taxing is that title for hardware?

The taxing is the same as it always was: 13% HST.
On a more serious note. Once we got it running, we were astonished how much details we need to drop in order to get it running.

Quote:
What are your thoughts about the Nvidia Shield device itself and what impact it will have in the video game ecosystem?

If you're rich, go for it.
If you're not, get a Nintendo.
If you don't need to be mobile, you will go with a desktop anyway. That's what gamers will do anyhow because it makes to sense to drag around a car battery.
As for the impact, same as anything else would do in a freefall in 1G.
Quote:
What does the Nvidia Shield TV audience open up for your company?

A new advertisement platform that nobody will watch.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even nVidia is excited about Shield. Tegra will, as always, get into tablets and phones that will be mostly used to check weather, post dumb photos with burnt effect on instagram and waste time on facebook. Also, that kid might pirate a mobile game to try it out then he will delete it because it's stupid. Angry Birds and fruit ninja will be able to run in 4K on 5" display that we so desperately need.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the price they are charging for Shield, they can go F themselves first of all. 4K gaming is all about the idiot with too much money than brains or too much ego that needs to be satisfied. The only thing I care about 4K, is that it lower the price of non-4K screens.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom wrote:
At the price they are charging for Shield, they can go F themselves first of all. 4K gaming is all about the [censored] with too much money than brains or too much ego that needs to be satisfied. The only thing I care about 4K, is that it lower the price of non-4K screens.

4K is nice for projectors. I've seen it and it is great. But for anything less than 50" it's quite useless and overkill.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Projectors are only good in dim or darkness. A projector is nowhere near as good as an actual screen. I know, I've had 2 high end projectors in my main home theater, even went so far as a retractable ceiling tile that would lower when you hit the power for the projector. Ever replace the bulbs in projectors? It's ridiculous markup. As soon as I got real use out of them the bulbs blew. I've since replaced my projectors with real screens. Even companies today will toss a projector rather than replace the bulbs because there is/was always something better. That's how I got my second one.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fail to see an issue. Bulbs are consumables like batteries. I have halogen lights in my lowered ceiling and they run on 12V transformers and when transformer dies I have to disassemble part of ceiling. It's a pain in the ass but oh well. Smile

Then there is the issue with the cost of the big screen. I can easily have projector that gives me 200" image, but 200" screen? Yeaaa....that would be expensive.

anyway, the point was that 4000$ sony 4K projector giving ~150" projection in 4K was awesome. I saw 32" 4K screen and I fail to see how 4K is worth it. From a normal viewing distance, I couldn't really tell if it is HD or UHD.

PS. You are loaded Tom, good for you, but we can't all just choose what is best, sometimes we have to compromise and use what we can afford even if we have to be bothered with changing bulbs in the projector Wink I can't even afford a projector now so I have to live with my CCFL backlit 32" LCD TV. And I am fine with it, I don't watch TV at all. I watch movies on my 23" IPS monitor Razz I don't give a shit. Smile
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not rich, I'm smart and smart with my money. Unless you call a guy paying all the bills, mortgage, having 2 kids a house and 1 car rich. Took me 20 years to have money and even then like most people I am in debt. I make an average salary.

Projector #1 = $500 bought almost brand new. Money spent on bulbs. $500.
Projector #2 = FREE. Money spent on bulbs $300.

I replaced 3 bulbs total. ~800 for 3 bulbs and mostly on 1 projector, the good one.

I played Crysis through it @ 120" on #2. Not good for the eyes. LOL!

A TV sits there and doesn't cost money in the first year of use other than electricity and mine currently sits at 55". More than enough for the family to sit around. I don't need a projector. That thrill died a long while back. Wink
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, compared to me you are rich Smile I can't even afford 55" TV let alone kids. I might be able to save up for a bride.

On the bright side - I don't have any debt, I own my apartment, I only spend what I actually have. I don't want to have anything to do with banks. I just have an account and that's it. Bloody loan sharks.

PS. Sorry if you felt offended in any way, it was not my intention.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs, I'm not offended.

My 55" TV, I didn't pay a penny for it. What happened was a month before my warranty on my projection tv died (thus why I went with projector cuz my projection sucked) the warranty was still good for a couple of months. The guys could not fix it in time. = NEW TV with value of what I paid for the projection. Afforded me near top of the line Samsung. Thank the lord I paid for that extended warranty.
Thudo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gawd projector tech in 2015 is still THAT PATHETIC where you need to change that many bulbs within a short span AND YET cost that much to replace ($300-500)? Mad Practicality out the window especially in light of display-tech since 2010 is rapidly accelerating as we're currently now in 4K (cheap models can now be had), 8K was demo'ed at CES and consumer models are 2-3years or less out, and 12K is around and likely a 2020 release or sooner (who knows). Everything seems to be moving so fast where in the past it took a donkey's age.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got rid of mine in 2013, discontinued now but here is a link to the bulb...
http://www.projectorlampsworld.ca/optoma-hd83-projector-lamp.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw56moBRD8_4-AgoOqhV4SJADWWVCc5LGey7nQ5FFhFV5_RU2a7nHx56j4AgU5nSJYTeMz4xoCmunw_wcB
and yep that's about what I paid. Twice and then I said F this. Managed to sell that off when I came by a free inFocus which actually paled in comparison to my Optoma but I was under the impression bulbs were a lot cheaper. Original bulb lasted half as long as the Optoma OEM. After shipping etc, it was about $100 cheaper.

For the first short while a projector is awesome and then the magic fades.
Thudo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Not worth it when the tech is changing and we're in the mid-phase with 4K right now.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4K 55" is not going to be cheap and GPUs to push games on it (if you need games on it, if you don't, you probably don't need 4K) will set you back 1000$ at least.

so you are looking at ~1500$ TV and 1000$ cards that are going to get old very fast, but then again, projector will have even more additional costs tied if you opt for that direction.

Anyway, it's not a cheap hobby, then again, neither is my audiophile hobby Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: