Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

AMD Catalyst 14.12 Driver - The Omega Driver [38639]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: AMD Catalyst 14.12 Driver - The Omega Driver [38639] Reply with quote

graphics cards, and up to 29% more performance on APU-based systems. - Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth performance
optimizations
  Mantle API activated for
ultimate performance in Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare performance
optimizations
  Up

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tested all except one game from the list, they all work exactly the same. What they did is actually fix crossfire profiles for those games and took the results they got and listed them like all high end cards will get a boost. VSR is also enabled only for R9 285 and above, so screw the middle segment consumers (again), and it remains to be seen if they really did fix the stand-by issue (monitor sometimes wont power on from standby).

Sure, AMD may be best bang for the buck, but you are also getting banged in places you did not want and/or expected.
ir0nw0lf
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMD is cooking up a "phase 2" driver that will add VSR capabilities (with 4K downscaling) to additional cards, including everything from the Radeon R7 260 up. That driver is expected in the January-February time frame.

^^ So hang tight
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ir0nw0lf wrote:
AMD is cooking up a "phase 2" driver that will add VSR capabilities (with 4K downscaling) to additional cards, including everything from the Radeon R7 260 up. That driver is expected in the January-February time frame.

^^ So hang tight

that's AMD's problem, they are like an old lady with a walker. I have a buyer for my personal AMD card, and have ordered gtx 770.
psolord
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing none of the review sites say anything about how much better Assassin's Creed Unity runs, has gotten me thinking.

Still I am going to post this.

A while back I posted my 7950 benchmark video with the 14.11.2 driver (spicy wallpaper alert).

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-F1ux9MV-I"]ASSASSIN'S CREED UNITY 1920X1080 CUSTOM ULTRA RADEON 7950 @1.1Ghz CORE i5 2500k[/URL]

The benchmark result was 36.5fps.

Today I retested with the Omega and just uploaded the video (spicy wallpaper alert).

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX_EWgOKvdw"][omega] ASSASSIN'S CREED UNITY 1920X1080 CUSTOM ULTRA 7950 @1.1Ghz CORE i5-2500k[/URL]

The benchmark result was 57.5 fps.

Now this is a 57% performance increase and I am trying to find out what I did wrong.

I am using the same settings, same game version, same gpu frequency, same cpu frequency, I loaded the same location and followed the same path, as humanly possible on a dynamic game.

The only other thing that changed, is that now I have 16GBs of RAM, while previously I had 8GBs (same speed for both), but this cannot be it, since the game did not use more that 5GBs in both tests.

The game does run unbelievably better!

I even put together a link on [URL="http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Di-F1ux9MV-I&start1=245&video2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DxX_EWgOKvdw&start2=383&authorName=snoopsagan"]Youtubedoubler[/URL] that shows a location that the two videos are somewhat in sync.

Still here are two frame caps, from the two respective videos, at the same location. Huge difference!

gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you must have patched it to 1.5, no other explanation. That patch brings performance improvements.

I mena, I tested it with 280x and saw no improvements, around 50 fps on almost max settings with latest patch before I put omega driver, same fps after I put omega driver...280x CF runs better with omega driver but like I said they fixed CF profile, it used to run like 15% better in CF than with single 280x.
psolord
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's version 1.30 for sure. I keep portable offline versions handy for my benchmarks, for easy use among my systems.

Maybe there was some specific improvement with the settings I used.

Also maybe the new drivers removed some weird cpu limit that existed before.

Keep in mind that I used 4.8GHz clock for my cpu for both videos and cpu usage was still quite high.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psolord wrote:
It's version 1.30 for sure. I keep portable offline versions handy for my benchmarks, for easy use among my systems.

Maybe there was some specific improvement with the settings I used.

Also maybe the new drivers removed some weird cpu limit that existed before.

Keep in mind that I used 4.8GHz clock for my cpu for both videos and cpu usage was still quite high.

idk, all I know textures look like shit in your screenies no offense. Put them to max and you will have much less fps.

I mean, I watched Total Biscuit play AC:U on dual 980 (SLI 980) and he was barley hitting 60, not even maxed out settings.

PS. Would it be to much trouble if I asked you a favor: put CPU on default or ~3.5 GHz, I wonder if there is more than 2-3 fps impact Razz Thanks.
psolord
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screenies are frame caps from a video recorded with a camera. It's a benchmark remember?

I posted them for people that didn't want to watch the videos.

Of course I tested with the cpu at stock speed. It is usually below 50fps with my settings, while it is close to 60 with overclock. This game can suck up any resource you throw at it.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psolord wrote:
The screenies are frame caps from a video recorded with a camera. It's a benchmark remember?

I posted them for people that didn't want to watch the videos.

Of course I tested with the cpu at stock speed. It is usually below 50fps with my settings, while it is close to 60 with overclock. This game can suck up any resource you throw at it.

that seems like an unrealistic gain for cpu overclock...10 frames is 15% in that range...I had (yesterday when I was in office testing omega) 50+ fps in 1080p with stock 2500K in that benchmark and 280x. Setting on high, AA off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: