Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Watching Video Games Is Stupid And Boring [38214]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Watching Video Games Is Stupid And Boring [38214] Reply with quote

Amazon recently said it was paying a billion dollars to acquire uot;Twitch,uot; a social network for people who watch other people play video games online. Contributor Luke Burbank says the opportunity to watch others play video games or interact in virtual worlds ignores the very real uot;gameuot; in which we

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Apathy Curve
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Watching Video Games Is Stupid And Boring"

Absolutely. I've been saying the same thing for years, ever since some moron decided that playing video games should be a professional "sport." Speaking as someone who has played real sports at high school and collegiate levels, I find that laughable beyond description.

Playing video games in moderation is a fun distraction. Watching somebody else play video games is a clear sign that you are in need of psychiatric care.

I'm trying to decide which is the Dumbest Business Decision of the Year: Amazon buying Twitch or Microsoft buying Mojang.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apathy Curve wrote:
Quote:
"Watching Video Games Is Stupid And Boring"

Absolutely. I've been saying the same thing for years, ever since some moron decided that playing video games should be a professional "sport." Speaking as someone who has played real sports at high school and collegiate levels, I find that laughable beyond description.

Playing video games in moderation is a fun distraction. Watching somebody else play video games is a clear sign that you are in need of psychiatric care.

I'm trying to decide which is the Dumbest Business Decision of the Year: Amazon buying Twitch or Microsoft buying Mojang.

pro gaming requires higher intelligence and more training and practice than most sports. Pro Football players (soccer for those from the US) are one of the dumbest people I have ever seen, met or heard of. American Football and baseball are even worse. Just look at headlines. Then look at their sophisticated tactics. Average dotA or LoL player has more tactics going on in the head during 10 seconds of the match.

Now to the point: some people watch other people play games in order to learn (I am not talking about watching someone play Sims or minecraft), same as people that play sports watch other people play. It is literally the same thing. So if watching someone play competitive game is stupid, so is watching sports on TV.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, back in the days that famous "Insert coin" flashy thingy prevented me from playing games most of the time. The only way to see some action was waiting out and seeing someone else play. And, as a side effect, learn a lot of tricks so when mom handed over a coin (making me the happiest kid on the block), I could make the best of it...

I wonder how kids nowadays learn playing without watching someone else play... But then again, these are kids growing up on EA rubbish, so I guess there is no learning curve; just sit and watch.
Koogle
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to watch pro teams to get better yourself at some esport type games, of course you get better by actually playing better players but that really only works well for actual sport type games where you can see how they play. So POV streaming works.

I've watched a few lets plays of older games and some console only releases, which I have no interest of buying or playing myself. Normally only watch the first few videos in a series, depends how entertaining the host is and if I enjoy the game enough to watch or at least glance at it. Just don't care for Twitch it was already an overrated and slow streaming platform.

I do however feel bad (more so than for the entire fucking scumbag parasite music industry) for game developers who make singleplayer games with little re playability.. video streamers especially popular ones are really screwing those developers out of potential sales.

Before video streaming you'd at most read a review of a game as a buying decision. Now you can have the chance to just watch the entire game storyline unfold.

Quote:

Amazon buying twitch for sure, the live streaming sites are so few that any competition would have gotten a look at by any video streamer. And Amazon already have the server and cloud infrastructure.

M$ getting Mojang was pocket change that is really owed in taxes, going to a guy like Notch who will most likely leave the money in the same fucking bank it already sat in under M$. It's not like Notch is going to go blow through 2.5billion he can't even drive a car.

So for them taking control over that brand was a huge win, and it would be very hard for them to fuck it up. Because Mojang have already proven they are so fucking shit at developing the game in the years that they have, that for MS to fuck it up would be almost impossible because the fans of it are fucking retarded and never once gave Mojang any flak for the blithering stupidity and crap development.

Of course if the community of third party developers and servers for Minecraft start quitting in the months to come, then that might change Very Happy The entire bukkit team already quit, so that's a large number of unpaid workers that have kept most the MC servers going because Mojang vanilla minecraft server is complete dogshit.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this guy is so smart, that he restricted countries from viewing his video. It's blocked in Canada...

I agree though, I hate watching people play video games and even being in spectator mode during gaming is boring. Especially when it's some asshole camping somewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: