Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

DirectX 12 Promises Significant Performance Gains [37827]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: DirectX 12 Promises Significant Performance Gains [37827] Reply with quote

ers an asteroid field with 50,000 unique asteroids in it which equates to 50,000 draws per frame. Each asteroid is unique through procedurally-generating a combination of vertices, textures, and constants. To show the improvements, the demo is able to switch between DirectX 11 and 12 at the press of a button whilst loc

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
DirectX 12 Promises Significant Performance Gains

Heard that before, but as a matter of fact, it became slower and slower.
Just check a game with both DX9 and DX 10 support and set the same level of detail.
DX9 will be super-fast compared to DX 10.
tiamat
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is almost certainly down the the bloat. DX was originally intended to be very bare-bones library of functions giving you almost direct access to the GPU extensions but with each revision they have tacked on more and more so you are further away from accessing those extensions directly.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenGL was always faster (though harder to code). I wonder if the new revision they just released would be more convincing for the programmers.
V-ampire
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice informed comments.

But after all this is a site for gamers, not opengl/directx programmers, so it is understandable.

It's still funny though.
El_Coyote
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiamat wrote:
It is almost certainly down the the bloat. DX was originally intended to be very bare-bones library of functions giving you almost direct access to the GPU extensions but with each revision they have tacked on more and more so you are further away from accessing those extensions directly.

Keyboard warriors to the rescue.
A lot of the bloat you're referring to is technologies that didn't exist until they were implemented into direct x.
The speed of rendering isn't dependent on that either, since you're free to not load the libraries containing x feature.

What direct x really do is push features that can easily be implemented on several platforms, so that developers doesn't have to code everything themselves from scratch. That sort of development is very advanced and not something your average programmers do.

as an added benefit, you're not paying for every developer reinventing the wheel.
OpenGL is the same story.
Apathy Curve
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V-ampire wrote:
Really nice informed comments.

But after all this is a site for gamers, not opengl/directx programmers, so it is understandable.

It's still funny though.

I don't have to be a code monkey to know that I've been lied to about this exact same issue in exactly the same way on many previous occasions. Implying that my opinion on the matter is therefore uninformed is like saying I can't have a valid opinion about how badly my thumb hurts when I hit it with a hammer unless I'm a licensed carpenter.

In short, it's sophistry. In this case, it is used to make you look like you're smarter and more reasonable than the rest us. You failed.

Buh-bye, now.
Tom
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quit being haters! You are all sounding like Stumpus. All we are missing now is Koogle's hater comments.

DirectX contains the least amount of DX API functions compared to DX10 and DX11, naturally it will not perform as well as DX9 that has been in use, fixed, patched for years. Everyone knows how to code for DX9 but nobody is probably an expert equally in DX10. I could understand when DX10 first came around especially, new cards new DX being used = Crap performance, but this should be in the past.

I'm playing games > directx 9 whenever given a choice. Sorry can't say my games are slow or anything. Must be your crappy gaming rig.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tom
Careful what you wish for! Wink

I've been waiting for optimizations, too - hoping that the DX10+ games would run faster. But they just don't.
V-ampire
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apathy Curve wrote:

In short, it's sophistry. In this case, it is used to make you look like you're smarter and more reasonable than the rest us. You failed.

I've just noted you seem to have only this to rely upon grandpa.
It's recurring.

The comments are still funny, but I don't work for you and you are not being amicable, so I will not waste my time to explain to you why they are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: