Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

Next Generation EA Games to Cost $80 !! [35494]
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What pisses me off is the digital distro of games should be cheaper 100% of the time. There's really no reason for games on the PC to be sixty dollars. I'm not feeling the whole large team on a triple A title and haven't for a decade. Quality or even mediocre games are just fine with smaller teams as long as you budget your money and time within reason. The case here in the UK you're better served hooking up a game pad and making sure you have a sufficient PC to play games instead of buying into next generation.
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baconnaise wrote:
What pisses me off is the digital distro of games should be cheaper 100% of the time. There's really no reason for games on the PC to be sixty dollars. I'm not feeling the whole large team on a triple A title and haven't for a decade. Quality or even mediocre games are just fine with smaller teams as long as you budget your money and time within reason. The case here in the UK you're better served hooking up a game pad and making sure you have a sufficient PC to play games instead of buying into next generation.

But that is too easy. This is and has never been about saving the gamer money. When I first bought PC games in the 90s they were regularly priced £42+ EF2000 and Fade to Black were as just some examples. Put a game on a server everyone downloads and feeds off it, minus no manual that you have to print. No middle man, absolute zilch, yet it sells for probably more than a physical copy and still is hitting near £40 for a top title and even more in EAs case.
There is more control today than there has ever been.
They can make cars run 300 MPG but won't make them the norm. Why? Government wants fuel tax, oil companies want the cream and car makers want you to keep buying a "better mpg car". Nothing benefits the consumer. This is about feeding the fat cats today, sod tomorrow!
As long as parents run two cars and feed their offspring on McDonalds and do the school run 100metres down the road-every day. They know the price of everything but don't know the value of nothing! All their kids have mobile phones from 9years old on, they play on iPads and have several consoles. Ask they get. Next generation console with next generation priced games, same as the parents lives. They can go up but can't come down.
Early adopters are what feeds companies. It's no different on PC. Graphic cards come out at £800-1000, people buy them, otherwise they wouldn't make them. 3months down the road the same graphic card drops £200-300.
Ever since I got into PC building nearly 23 years ago, you still have to wait today a year down the road to get a 'bargain' piece of hardware that YOU consider an appropriate price/value. Even then, something that "lasts" 2 years, played a few hours a day, and cost £800 is not value in anyone's sensible book of purchasing, before being massively superseded by the next lot of hype, specs and figures.
Everything is massively overinflated and will always be, till the sun no longer shines on our planet. That is humans for you.

Take a look at this just in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23251285
Quote:
PC sales see 'longest decline' in history

Global personal computer (PC) sales have fallen for the fifth quarter in a row, making it the "longest duration of decline" in history.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am not seeing the devs and artist getting any richer while the company is swimming in cash.
You get a better pay only when you have a better education, or you are bumped in job grade. Other than that, you get only the normal increases to compensate for the inflation a little.
Or, you become your own manager and take on projects - but they you are no longer working for a company like EA anymore.
darknothing
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny games were to cost less due to easy development x86 architecture.
darknothing
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that pc artical take in to account didgital download games? No none do, there is only one way to track dd games and companies like steam dont share that info.
Steam is packed with gamers and deals that bbc artical is a joke
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darknothing wrote:
Does that pc artical take in to account didgital download games? No none do, there is only one way to track dd games and companies like steam dont share that info.
Steam is packed with gamers and deals that bbc artical is a joke

What's digital game sales got to do with PC general sales? Nothing!
Whilst we're on he subject of digital,sales? Digital sales count for nothing- it's vapour ware. It doesn't exist, it is a license- nothing more. STEAM means nothing. You get banned and your account removed, BOOM!! You own NOTHING. You can't play hundreds of games that you bought a license to play. Stick in invisible DVD? Don't think so. Internet gone, can't afford it? Well kiss goodbye to virtual gaming.
STEAM is a company unto itself. It's not tracked because -basically it doesn't exist on the high street. It has ONE copy of a game that it licenses out to you and hundreds of thousands just like you. If you pack in gaming after being on STEAM for 15 years, you don't have a house full of game boxes and CD/DVDs like I do from the 90s. You have ZILCH and nothing to sell or actualy hold.
Just like Apple and its music, purely nothing but zeros and ones.

Oh and buying a graphics card, CPU and ram etc doesnt count towards PC sales Laughing
As a piece of technology, the PC has always been in decline after the 90s. The pinnacle of PC gaming. After that many of the worlds largest pc games companies folded. Consoles slowly appeared and then handhelds. Laptops...No brainer that tablets and smartphones do EVERYTHING that a home PC can do and is required for the average family. Sales of vista, died after XP. Windows 8 is killing pcs and bloody well pushed people towards sales of touch screen tablets! PC gaming, like building your own rig, is ant shit in terms of owners compaired to tablets and even PC sales that are the lowest ever recorded. Fuck me, when I was seriously gaming some of the worlds largest companies were just that; huge! Dell, compaq, HP, jujitsu, Packard bell. The high street was FULL of them. Now there is none, other than pc world.

Here's nostalgia for those of a certain age; yeah PC s are declining!

Quote:
Defunct[edit]

Alliant Computer Systems - Ceased operations in 1992.
Altos Computer Systems - acquired by Acer in 1990.
Amdahl Corporation - A wholly owned subsidiary of Fujitsu since 1997.
Apollo Computer - Acquired by Hewlett-Packard in 1989.
Apricot Computers - ceased operations in 1999.
Ardent Computer - Merged with Stellar Computer to form Stardent in 1989.
AST Computers, LLC - Exited the computer market in 2001.
Atari Corporation
AT&T Corporation
Burroughs - Merged with Sperry to form Unisys in 1986.
Celerity Computing - Acquired by Floating Point Systems in 1988.
Commodore International - declared bankruptcy in 1994.
Compaq - Acquired by Hewlett-Packard in 2002. Defunct as a subsidiary as of 2010.
CompuAdd - filed for bankruptcy in 1993.
Computer Automation
Control Data Corporation (CDC) - Shrank as units were spun off from 1988 to 1992; remainder is now Ceridian.
Convex Computer - purchased by Hewlett-Packard in 1995
Corona Data Systems - among the original "IBM PC Compatible" clone makers
Cromemco
Data General - was one of the first minicomputer firms from the late 1960s, purchased by EMC in 1999 for its innovative RAID array storage.
Digital Equipment Corporation - Acquired by Compaq in 1998.
Eagle Computer - ceased operations in 1986.
Eckert–Mauchly Computer - Acquired by Remington Rand in 1950.
Elonex — Sells tablets (as of 2011)
Encore Computer - Acquired by Gores Technology Group in 1998 and renamed to Encore Real Time Computing, which Gores then sold to Compro Computer Services in 2002.
English Electric - merged into International Computers Limited.
eMachines - Discontinued by its current owner Acer in 2012.
Everex - US subsidiary closed its doors in 2009.
Evesham - merged into TIME Computers.
Franklin Computer Corporation - exited computer hardware business and reorganized into Franklin Electronic Publishers.
General Electric - Sold its computer division to Honeywell in 1970.
Gould Electronics - Sold its computer division to Nippon Mining in 1988, who in turn sold it to Encore Computer later that year.
Honeywell - Sold its computer division to Groupe Bull in 1991.
International Computers and Tabulators (ICT) - merged into International Computers Limited.
International Computers Limited (ICL) - now part of Fujitsu.
Kaypro - filed for bankruptcy in 1992.
Leading Edge - Mid '80s leader in PC Clone for the masses - Manufacturing done first by Mitsubishi then Daewoo
Luxor AB - Ended in 1986 after being acquired by Nokia the previous year.
Magnuson Computer Systems - filed for bankruptcy in early 1980s.
Maxdata (Germany) - Insolvent in 2008; warranty for existing products taken over by then the Swiss Belinea AG (see Belinea), now owned by Bluechip Computer. Warranty for Belinea products purchased before 1 November 2008 is not serviced anymore by Bluechip Computer.[1]
Mitsubishi Electronics - Closed computer systems division in 1990 Manufactured systems for Leading Edge and Sperry-Unisys
MPC (formerly MicronPC) - Filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy on November 7, 2008. Efforts at reorganization failed.
Multiflow Computer - Ceased operations in 1990.
NeXT - acquired by Apple Computer in 1996.
Nixdorf Computer - Acquired by Siemens in 1991, renamed Siemens Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG.
Northgate Computer Systems - Acquired by Lan Plus in 1997, after filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 1994; Lan Plus later renamed itself Northgate Innovations.
Osborne Computer - Ceased operations in 1985; rights to the Osbourne brand were sold to Mikrolog.
Packard Bell - is now a subsidiary of Acer
PC Brand - acquired by Tandon Corporation in 1991.[2]
Processor Technology - Ceased operations in 1979.
Psystar - Under 2009 permanent injunction to stop selling computers with Apple's Mac OS X operating system. Psystar's web site has disappeared.
Pyramid Technology - Acquired by Siemens in 1995.
Radio Shack
RCA - Exited the computer business in 1971; Sperry Rand took over RCA's installed base in 1972.
Remington Rand - Acquired by Sperry to form Sperry Rand in 1955.
Scientific Data Systems - Acquired by Xerox in 1969.
Sequent Computer Systems - Acquired by IBM in 1999.
Siemens - Computer division (Siemens Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG) merged 50/50 with Fujitsu into Fujitsu Siemens Computers in 1999, then Siemens half bought by Fujitsu in 2009.
Sinclair Research - acquired by Amstrad in 1986.
Solbourne Computer - Acquired by Deloitte Consulting in 2008.
Sperry - Merged with Burroughs to form Unisys in 1986.
Sperry Rand - Dropped "Rand" from its name in 1978 and continued as Sperry.
Stardent - Ceased operations in 1992.
Stellar Computer - Merged with Ardent Computer to form Stardent in 1989.
Sun Microsystems - Acquired by Oracle Corporation in 2010.
Systems Engineering Laboratories - Acquired by Gould Electronics in 1981 and became Gould's computer division.
Tandy Corporation - Previous parent company of RadioShack, produced the TRS-80 and Tandy 1000 and 2000 IBM PC compatible computers. Sold their computer division to AST Computers in the early 1990s.
Tiny Computers - merged into TIME Computers.
Wang Laboratories - acquired by Getronics in 1999.
Xerox - Exited the computer business.
Zeos - merged into MPC Corporation in 1996, which in turn filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2008.
Zepto Computers A/S (Denmark) - On 17 November 2009 Zepto Computer was declared bankrupt, after several tries to save the company.[3]
Sharp Corporation
Amstrad
Tulip Computers - changed its name to Nedfield NV in 2008, pronounced bankrupt in 3 September 2009.
Egenera
Vigor Gaming (USA) - Disappeared in March 2010
VoodooPC

Oh and how about PC game shows? Another non existence today. They used to be prime time tv in the UK. Gamesmaster, games world. That I name off the top off me head. Wink
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23272331

Quote:
Microsoft unveils reorganisation

Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer said the company is being restructured in what is the first major overhaul for five years.

The software company will be streamlined around devices such as phones, games consoles, and services.

He said Microsoft would be able to react faster to changes in the market.

The move comes amid a decline in demands for personal computers, as consumers turn to tablets and other mobile devices.

In a memo to staff, Mr Ballmer said that the changes meant the company was "rallying behind a single strategy as one company - not a collection of divisional strategies".

Microsoft's new divisions include engineering, marketing and business development.

The company named veteran executive Julie Larson-Green as head of its devices and studios engineering group, overseeing hardware development, games, music and entertainment.

Terry Myerson will lead Microsoft's operating systems and engineering group, namely Windows. Qi Lu will head applications and services.

Under the reorganisation, Kurt DelBene, president of Microsoft Office, will retire, Microsoft said.

In November, Steven Sinofsky, then president of Microsoft's Windows and Windows Live operations, left the company weeks after the launch of Windows 8.

Then at the start of this month Xbox chief, Don Mattrick, announced he was quitting to become chief executive of social games firm Zynga.

'Single experience'
In a world where more people are using mobile devices and web-based services, Microsoft wants to see more of its products used on devices besides personal computers.

"Although we will deliver multiple devices and services to execute and monetise the strategy, the single core strategy will drive us to set shared goals for everything we do. We will see our product line holistically, not as a set of islands," Mr Ballmer said.

The "One Microsoft" strategy would seek to bring together diverse areas such as Windows, Windows Phone, Xbox, Surface, Office 365 and others.

He said: "Today's announcement will enable us to execute even better on our strategy to deliver a family of devices and services that best empower people for the activities they value most and the enterprise extensions and services that are most valuable to business," he said.

Microsoft remains the dominant PC software firm, with its Windows operating system. But in the fast-growing mobile sector, Microsoft is behind players such as Apple and Google, which sell devices and make the operating systems for tablets and smartphones.

Mr Ballmer said: "We will strive for a single experience for everything in a person's life that matters. One experience, one company, one set of learnings, one set of apps, and one personal library of entertainment, photos and information everywhere. One store for everything."
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We will strive for a single experience for everything in a person's life that matters.

I guess it means that my toilet won't flush unless I can restart the plumbing system.
djnforce9
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Agreed Reply with quote

Tom wrote:
Don't like it, don't buy them. Simple as that.

I'm sure Stumpus can justify it since the PS4 is so awesome. Rolling Eyes

Pretty much sums up my outlook on the matter. HOWEVER, the only thing that does worry me is that other studios will start adopting this pricing scheme. For example, on the PC, Activision released Modern Warfare 2 for $59.99 to match console prices when the norm for PC at the time was only $49.99. Soon after, many other games started coming out for that price. I REALLY hope that all games don't end up $80 and if they are, they better be extremely high budget and quality AAA titles and not some high-priced shovel-ware. The PS4 can really only be as good as the games that are released for it (I have very high hopes in this regard).
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Agreed Reply with quote

djnforce9 wrote:

Pretty much sums up my outlook on the matter. HOWEVER, the only thing that does worry me is that other studios will start adopting this pricing scheme. For example, on the PC, Activision released Modern Warfare 2 for $59.99 to match console prices when the norm for PC at the time was only $49.99. Soon after, many other games started coming out for that price. I REALLY hope that all games don't end up $80 and if they are, they better be extremely high budget and quality AAA titles and not some high-priced shovel-ware. The PS4 can really only be as good as the games that are released for it (I have very high hopes in this regard).

Why shouldn't PC game prices increase? There's no reason they should go down- nothing else does. The price of everything is going constantly up. Electricity, gas, fuel, food; the basics of life are going through the roof!

Gaming is rapidly turning into a luxury hobby. Driving in the 70s I was in cars that returned 20+ mpg ,because petrol was cheap. Driving isn't a hobby anymore- unless your filthy rich. Driving is a necessity for commuting to and from work today because we live further out of cities and there is less and less parking- or it's expensive! Sunday used to be a driving day in the UK. Now it's gridlock day along with the other 6 cause of 24/7 shopping and work.

Gaming, whether on PC or console is developed in the millions of dollars and pounds bracket. It used to be if we didn't buy games- to make a point- they (the devs, pubs) took heed. Now they just either don't listen or have their fingers in so many other pies that they can jump ship once they've made their loot and go do something else and just layoff staff and close studios.
Quality no longer is defined by platform. They are both heavily full of junk - or quick money, hyped sales. Yes the PC tends to b cheaper.... Just! Although not on the high st. Both platforms are the same price.

Console = more expensive game but can be traded in or sold.
PC = fractionally cheaper, maybe. But buyer can be left with a dud game due to DRM in the majority and more or less cant be sold and definitely not traded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: