Gameguru Mania Forum Index Gameguru Mania
Daily Gaming, Hardware, Software and Technology News

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
news | cheats | reviews | specials | hardware | demos | FLASH GAMES | about | links

LG demos wireless 4K Ultra HD streaming [34688]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrobot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: LG demos wireless 4K Ultra HD streaming [34688] Reply with quote

LG is demonstrating its wireless Ultra HD transmission technology this week at Mobile World Congress. At the company's booth I got a chance to walk through a gaming demo on an Android device that was displaying at 1080p on the phone, upscaling to 4K on the TV. The technology works by connecting over Wi-Fi and using the

Read more...

Source: GGMania headlines
GGMania.com - Daily Gaming and Tech news
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats the point? upscaled 1080p doesn't look any better in 4K...And good luck to LG with streaming actual 4K over wi-fi without compressing it to hell and back.

Also, android 4.2 allows streaming to any TV that is wi-fi smart enabled, be it 720p, 1080p, 4K or 8k. Nothing new on LG's stand...
Baconnaise
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4k can mean anything. If we see 1080p support we know exactly what that means. 4k? WTF is this shit? It pisses me off that it could mean a wide range of resolutions.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baconnaise wrote:
4k can mean anything. If we see 1080p support we know exactly what that means. 4k? WTF is this shit? It pisses me off that it could mean a wide range of resolutions.

it's 2160p. 3840 × 2160 since it's 16:9. Forget others, at least for TV/movies format. There are some monitors and projectors, 4096x2160 but's that probably going to go away...
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead dodo, in the uk.
Highest broadcast res is 720 upscaled to 1080i. (Sky and Virgin tv )
Something like 80+% used an HD TV in SD, in a survey a few years ago.
We've watched blu ray/3D 1080p for about 5years.(15ft distance)
4k tvs are touted at coming in at £6,000. Load of shit and not interested, aimed at idiot households whom watch 40+" sets at distances of 4ft cause their living room are sooo small, like their brains. 4k sets allow you to sit closer... Just buy a smaller tv Rolling Eyes
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumpus wrote:
Dead dodo, in the uk.
Highest broadcast res is 720 upscaled to 1080i. (Sky and Virgin tv )
Something like 80+% used an HD TV in SD, in a survey a few years ago.
We've watched blu ray/3D 1080p for about 5years.(15ft distance)
4k tvs are touted at coming in at £6,000. Load of shit and not interested, aimed at [censored] households whom watch 40+" sets at distances of 4ft cause their living room are sooo small, like their brains. 4k sets allow you to sit closer... Just buy a smaller tv Rolling Eyes

they will come down under 1000$€whatever range in a year. I have actually watched this http://store.sony.com/p/VPL-VW1000ES/en/p/VPLVW1000ES in action on a 4m diagonal spanned image with some promo 4K content. It's amazing, it's really WOW. You could see every detail on the people in the street, even their marriage rings, it's that detailed. OFc, you wont see that on a 40" 4K TV but I wouldn;t mind owning one. It's not for watching TV, I doubt TV broadcast will catch up anytime soon. Especially in small countries like the one I live in (we have ~10 HD channels offered via cable for a lot of money (by our standards) and channels suck, HBO is the best one in that offer...). Cinematography will catch up soon(ish) so will internet downloads Smile It's a gimmick at the moment, there is next to none content in 4K. Buddy of mine was seting up that sony 4K projector for presentation and he was like "wtf am I going to play on it?!" There was no mobile gtx680 at the moment and he could only use laptop and even the best dell alienware with sli couldn't play anything 3D (games, demos) in at least 30fps so that was not an option, and video material was hard to find. He ended up playing some weak demo by sony and putting photos from canon 600D if I recall correctly...
Thudo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ok people lets complain about 4K let alone 8k is how being tested in the UK and Japan so whose NOT for much higher resolutions 2-5x more than ghey-arse 1080p? I am.. bring it... I want my eyes flooded with so many pixels I'll need a new sight evolution opening up a new spectrum.

4K is real AND will be affordable in 2-3 years and will make 1080p look like poo. 8K follows afterwards into > 2018.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thudo wrote:
Yeah ok people lets complain about 4K let alone 8k is how being tested in the UK and Japan so whose NOT for much higher resolutions 2-5x more than ghey-arse 1080p? I am.. bring it... I want my eyes flooded with so many pixels I'll need a new sight evolution opening up a new spectrum.

4K is real AND will be affordable in 2-3 years and will make 1080p look like poo. 8K follows afterwards into > 2018.

I think you are underestimating the market. When majority of customers get 1080p TVs, market will stagnate unless there is something new to offer to those people. MAjority of those people are not interested in 3D gimmicks and that's why they already have 4K ready for early adopters. I personally estimate that 4K 40" will be ~1200$ this time next year. And that is affordable in the western countries (western to me, meaning west europe, UK, USA...)
Thudo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So having 2-5x resolution in a movie is a.. gimmick and not serious evolution considering how long for decades we stagnated in this field? I want to get to a point where a TV screen = my vision's limit. Thats coming now much MUCH closer now that after 5+ years were drastically moving ahead in this regard. THANK FRICK'N GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am actually more concerned how to data xfer 4k streams where HD content can kill one's monthly data quota pretty quick. <shutters> Either some flipp'n serious compression will be required OR get ready to have 1Tb or Unlimited Data quotas.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said 3D is a gimmick, not 4K. 4K is a gimmick NOW because there are no movies in 4K resolution, yet. (ok, maybe there is one or two but I personally don;t know of any)

edit: I guess 4K in mkv will be around 16-20gb per movie. Not that big of a deal if you don't live in Canada Very Happy (most of the world has flat rates)
Thudo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh 3D is BEYOND A FRICK'N GIMMICK and just over-done due to that vile Avatar: Pocahontas-In-Space.. har har !

4K is looking forward.. not for now as its prohibitively expensive and perhaps a challenge to deliver content but so that was all likely said about 1080p and large flat screen LCDs back in the 90s. Wink
Sabot
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble is, the highest format we have to watch films on are blu ray 1080P, it's stagnant due to netflix,lovefilm streaming subscribers; physical films are pretty much on the way out, just like music CDs. Every shop still sells DVD releases of NEW films; Skyfall is all over point of sales at £9.99 That's now the equivalent of VHS, in my book. Yet it hasn't gone away. Sooooo much for HD TVs, blu ray players and blu ray discs.
The public dont give a $hit about HD this or that, They want to watch catch-up TV on mobile devices, tablets, phones. SkyGo, Virgin TV anywhere. highest you get is 720P.
3D was the best bet to get these apathetic people to see the potential of HD, they would only see it at the cinema of course, but there is one thing you wont see at the cinema and that's true HD! IMAX or whatever is utter garbage.
When i seen Avatar (filmed especially with panasonic cameras and special showings at the cinema) in 3D, it was AMAZING. Then i seen other 3D films and they weren't soo amazing.
Then i got Avatar with my Panasonic VT20 and (along with a bundle of other films) and it was like when you buy a graphics card with a special edition of a game JUST for it. totally nothing i have owned or watched has equaled Avatar, panasonic exclusive. No wonder it was shipping on ebay for £300+ at the time.
We've had up-scaling for years, 4K will not make an impact in a climate where TV is no longer the preferred choice of viewing or the quality of the transmission.
connoisseurs are the only people to adopt quality, and of course rich people. I'm not saying that 4K will go away, it will -like HD sets- be branded and sold in VERY cheap sets. HD sets are piss quality in general, but that's what is selling. Sony,Panasonic and even LG have all suffered due to the junk buying in the TV market.
Unless you subscribe to Cable or satellite in the UK, then your stuck with an antiquated digital SD service that has 4 HD channels for free.

As someone mentioned in another post re; monitors, they are all stuck at 1080P as the most affordable -affordable being over £300 for 24" 3D support 1080P.
Go over and above that resolution ( 2560x1600) and it's silly time; £1000-£1,600 is common.
SO yes 4K will drop in price for TV sets, but NEVER for gaming monitors, where it really would be used to its full potential.
i repeat, dead dodo.
wooopee dooo......
Thudo
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are happy to be stuck @ 2560x1600 forever then due to price?

Well I am REMOTELY NOT.. I want resolution and aspect to keep evolving to the limits of the human eye.. FOR PCs as there will always be a market to push.

Anyway.. prices always come down so whats bad about all this, seriously? We got stuck @ specific resolutions for years and years and FINALLY we're greatly moving forward.

I could not be happier especially with 8K is coming which is pushing to the limits of human vision.
gx-x
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to make some things clear here:
IMAX is a format, not a device. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAX
it is a film (celluloid if you like) based format with potentially "unlimited" resolution. Quality will depend on filming device, lens and finally digitization process. There are some stunning IMAX videos out there, crisp, sharp colorful things...a thing of beauty that no digital camera is capable of (for now).
IMAX and IMAX alike formats are our best bet for 4K (and up) content.

Panasonic. They own nothing in terms of display technology, they have no proprietary rights to anything of import. They used to be exclusive for plazma screens, not any longer.

Samsung: VA panels (AMVA, PVA, etc), LED panels (SAMOLED, AMOLED blah blah)

LG (formerly LG-Phillips): IPS panels (S-IPS, eH-IPS, H-IPS, E-IPS blah blah). ALso a major OLED partner and leader in that field.

Sony: Nothing, nada. Used to buy VA panels from Sammy and implement into their LCDTVs and charge them more than Sammy itself. Now they buy IPS panels from LG.

Panasonic: Plazma, back in the day. Now they buy panels from Sammy and LG, still produce some plazma screens, but plazma is crap anyway so who cares.

How can anything look better on Panasonic TV then on any other quality 3D TV is beyond me. Did you even try watching that movie on any other similarly priced TV? New AMVA from Sammy should give much better image, 3D or 2D.

As for majority of the people, 4K, 3D etc, they will not jump aboard with that. They don't care or need that stuff. Watching soap operas and news reports is as good as it gets.
I personally find no immersion in 3D outside of cinema (and only cineplex ones), and it gives justice only to movies that were meant to be 3D, like Avatar. Avatar is good in 3D, Bunch of oversaturated stuff in 2D and movie itself is garbage with weak plot, crap acting and no cinematic value. Typical empty shelled Hollywood movie.
Movies, much like photography, have their (or at least their should) artistic value. Good movies have carefully lit scenes and actors, planned takes to capture you in the moment etc. 3D takes that and shits on it.

edit: sorry if I sound harsh. I don;t mean to offend anyone. To me, 3D is soap opera (in every regard). I don't like soap operas and nothing will change that. I liked 3D effect in cineplex in some movies, but most of those movies, as movies, were pure garbage. I cannot imagine watching a movie like "The Machinist" or "The godfather" in 3D...IT takes EVERYTHING out of the movie and adds nothing.

PS. Why would you use a monitor for PC instead of TV if the only purpose is browsing, movies and games? You can look at 32" for 400$ and less and use a mid entry gpu and sve tons of money. For 2560x1440 you need at least 300$ for gpu to kinda play games...Insane...Those resolutions are currently meant for productivity and graphic work, hence the price.
Csimbi
Elite Member
Elite Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
upscaling to 4K on the TV

lol
It's the same deal as up-scaling DVDs to 1080p: instead of pixels you see blurred rubbish.
I guess they'll have to re-release and re-sell all BluRay movies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gameguru Mania Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: